Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Guthrie, Long ban on the way?...

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
it was not too dissimilar to the manner of Ben Thatcher's "shoulder barge" in that his sole purpose was to hurt the player.

Knocking someone unconcious or breaking somebody's leg intentionally done off a football pitch would get you arrested, charged and potentially sentenced, why should he get away with it because he is overpaid and within the boundaries of four painted lines??

DISGRACE to the game!!

shame it's often the young english lads that are like this

f***ing sort it out

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Doesn't quite do the tackle justice. Why didn't the linesman wave his flag at the first tackle? ???

[yt]o4hxCPlrfmg[/yt]

You got close to the action,

did you not want to take part in the boycott??

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Doesn't quite do the tackle justice. Why didn't the linesman wave his flag at the first tackle? ???

[yt]o4hxCPlrfmg[/yt]

Never realised that McShane had joined Hull. When did that happen and how much did Sunderland get for him? He really should've got a bit stuck in there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Works on IE but not Firefox. Shocking tackle by Guthrie, right in front of lino. Nearly took his team mate out, too. But how anyone could tell the difference when their kits were so similar, why the f*** were Hull not in their orange shirt?!

Because their kit man cocked up. Their away shirt is officially "charcoal grey"- ie nearly black- which he evidently thought wouldn't clash with Newcastle's black. Their home kit is black and amber stripes, which would also have clashed.

It could have been worse- if you look, you'll see Hull are actually wearing Newcastle's away shorts and socks, because the referee refused to allow them to play in their own, saying they were too similar.

I recall Reading once turned up at the Goldstone with a home kit of white and blue hoops, an away kit of yellow and blue hoops, both of which clashed with ours. Rather than tell them to wear one of our spare kits, though, the bloody officials made the Albion play in their away kit, which I have a feeling was one of the pink efforts. We lost the match
:angry:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
it was not too dissimilar to the manner of Ben Thatcher's "shoulder barge" in that his sole purpose was to hurt the player.

Knocking someone unconcious or breaking somebody's leg intentionally done off a football pitch would get you arrested, charged and potentially sentenced, why should he get away with it because he is overpaid and within the boundaries of four painted lines??

DISGRACE to the game!!

That's a very good point you make. But seeing as Roy Keane actually went as far as admitting that he meant to hurt Alfie Haaland those years ago and the police didn't do anything, I feel it's unlikely they will here.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I heard it looks as though he could be out for 3 months? Good, nothing less than he deserves.

Commentators and pundits have gone on about 'all the frustration with Newcastle and took it into his own hands' well in my opinion, he's not bothered about what happens with them, well obviously to a certain extent but I certainly don't think it had anything to do with that horrible challenge.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
35 years ago that sort of foul was seen as acceptable (apart from the guy getting his leg broke). Players like Norman Hunter , Tommy Smith and Ron Harris used to get away with it every matchday.

Another reason old football really was rubbish.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
I heard it looks as though he could be out for 3 months? Good, nothing less than he deserves.

3 months sounds good, but that will probably still see him return to the game quicker than Folan.

Perhaps an indefinate ban could be applied (alongside the fine), that suggests he cannot return to competitive action until Folan has a) recovered from the broken leg, and b) returned to full match fitness!!

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Oh my god, I didn't know it broke his leg?? He got up after he was recklessly tackled by Guthriedidn't he?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
3 months sounds good, but that will probably still see him return to the game quicker than Folan.

Perhaps an indefinate ban could be applied (alongside the fine), that suggests he cannot return to competitive action until Folan has a) recovered from the broken leg, and b) returned to full match fitness!!

Oh my god, I didn't know it broke his leg?? He got up after he was recklessly tackled by Guthriedidn't he?

Did either of you read this thread? :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here