Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Guthrie, Long ban on the way?...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Was a sick challenge, had no intention of going for the ball.

How breaking someones leg can have the same ban as a delibrate handball, is beyond me. Six match ban minimum please.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Should be banned for as long as Fagan is out injured, and then a bit more. But there's a fat chance of that happening.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its a shame as he looks not a bad young ENGLISH player, would be a shame for a stupid tackle like this to distroy his progress

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We have this same debate every time a player gets injured as a result of a foul.

The plan to ban offenders for as long as the "victim" is out for is a non-starter, for the simple reason that level of injury is not proportionate to the severity of the foul.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
We have this same debate every time a player gets injured as a result of a foul.

The plan to ban offenders for as long as the "victim" is out for is a non-starter, for the simple reason that level of injury is not proportionate to the severity of the foul.

True. But I think in exceptional cases - such as here with a clearly malicious 'tackle' the option should exist.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a crap tackle.

But I've seen worse. To be honest, I thought at the time it didn't look as though he went in particularly hard either, am surprised (albeit only from one viewing of the incident) that that twat Fagan has broken his leg out of it.

The problem with intent is that you can never prove what goes through the player's mind. I guarantee you that at some point, we will be hearing from somebody at Newcastle who will state that Guthrie "hasn't got a malicious bone in his body, he was just frustrated because he loves this club, and he would never intentionally injure another player".

Same every time.

Out of interest- I don't think I was paying much attention when I saw it on TV- what was the Newcastle fans' reaction to the red card?

One thing that really irritates me is when, following a deserved red card, fans stand up and applaud their player off.

Frankly if an Albion player had made that sort of challenge, or got sent off for abusing the referee, I wouldn't applaud him, I'd tell him exactly how idiotic I thought he was.

I can understand sympathy if there's some debate about the decision (or even if your player's sacrificed himself in the last minute with a cheeky professional foul to protect a precious lead), but it does my head in when people blindly applaud their red carded players when they've just done something stupid or costly.

Don't be silly. Of course the Newcastle fans abused their violent player. After all, they're the best football fans in the universe.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It was only a matter of time before something like this happened as it almost always kicks off when players start taking it to the corner flag. I've seen some refs give automatic free-kicks when a player keeps it in the corner, which I think is the way forward.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
To be honest, I thought at the time it didn't look as though he went in particularly hard either, am surprised (albeit only from one viewing of the incident) that that twat Fagan has broken his leg out of it.

Really? He absolutely hammers him! I'm not in the least bit surprised a broken leg was the result. Anyway, you are right that the severity of the injury should have no bearing on the punishment, but the intent should and this was a vicious tackle. Would like to see a 6 game ban.

I was surprised that the other player involved got away scott free. He pushed over the fouled player as soon as he stood to his feet - something I understan to be also a red card worthy offence.

I think newcastle were luck that they only got away with the one red.

Er..... the player you mean was actually preventing Fagan from retaliating, and I sincerely doubt most refs would red card a player who was doing that and preventing an instant brawl.

Fagan was rightly fuming, and if successful in retaliating he would have also suffered a sending-off

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
35 years ago that sort of foul was seen as acceptable (apart from the guy getting his leg broke). Players like Norman Hunter , Tommy Smith and Ron Harris used to get away with it every matchday.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I hope he does get a long ban, that was a disgusting tackle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
35 years ago that sort of foul was seen as acceptable (apart from the guy getting his leg broke). Players like Norman Hunter , Tommy Smith and Ron Harris used to get away with it every matchday.

And I think a re-evaluation of their mark on the game might be in order.

Hard men? Bollocks, anyone can chop someone down if they've that little talent and they're that big a donkey.

Cowards more like.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
A few things:

Re the length of ban matching the length of time the injured player is sidelined - As Edna has said, what happened if all he had was a slight bruise?

Re the extending of the ban, Surely it can be increased? Although Edna has said the referee has sent him off so that's the end of it, what other option does he have? It's up to the F.A. to decide the length of the ban.

Finally Re BoF's comment about shielding the ball. I believe the law is that as long as the player shielding the ball is close enough to it that they can touch and control it, then they can shield it all they like. It's only when the ball is out of reach that it then becomes obstruction.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Just seen it - f***ing hell, that's a horrible horrible tackle. Any harder and his leg would have gone like eduardo's.

Hope he gets a really REALLY long ban for it.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
it was not too dissimilar to the manner of Ben Thatcher's "shoulder barge" in that his sole purpose was to hurt the player.

Knocking someone unconcious or breaking somebody's leg intentionally done off a football pitch would get you arrested, charged and potentially sentenced, why should he get away with it because he is overpaid and within the boundaries of four painted lines??

DISGRACE to the game!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here