Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Guthrie, Long ban on the way?...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Did anyone catch this dickheads tackle on Hull's Craig Fagan at the weekend?... It now conspires Fagan has a broken leg due to this pillock getting the hump about playing for Comedy Club United and lunging at him just for wasting time...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It was a ridiculous tackle, his sole intention was to hurt him and so deserves a much longer ban, but i can't see it happening due to him being punished at the time

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It couldn't even be described as a tackle. It was a "f***ing have some of THAT" assault - the ball was a complete irrelevence. If that has indeed broken the guys leg, then I'd be getting the lawyers involved if I was him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If it was done with intent then he should at least be banned for as long as Fagan is out injured.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No doubt it was done with intent, he'd already had one hack which hadn't worked so went back for another go with no other thing in mind than to kick the guys legs from under him..but properly this time. Definitely worth a lengthy ban.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It is malicious challenges like that the player should be suspended until the victim makes a full recovery

It would change the way people would tackle for sure!!

I like that idea... if only the FA had the guts to do such a thing.

Mar 13, 2008
Does anyone have a link to it. I didn't see it.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm suprised that it may have broken his leg. It didn't look like that hard a kick and he got straight back up again to have a go at him.

Not that it did'nt warrant a red card and a lengthy ban though.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Hull City striker Craig Fagan has suffered a broken leg, reports BBC Radio Humberside.

Fagan was the victim of an horrific tackle by Newcastle's Danny Guthrie in Hull's 2-1 win on Saturday, although he got up on his feet after the incident.

But Hull boss Phil Brown said scans after the game had revealed a fracture to Fagan's leg.

Guthrie was red carded after running several yards to scythe Fagan down as he shielded the ball by the touchline.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nothing further will happen as (1) he's already been punished and (2) you can't go dishing out suspensions based on the extent of the injury, as there are some absolute shockers that result in no injury at all, and some bog standard fouls that break legs.

My lack of sympathy is in no way connected to the fact that I clearly remember Craig Fagan playing at Withdean for Colchester previously, diving around, whining at the referee, giving it the biggun towards the South Stand, and generally acting like a total penis.

I don't wish injury on anyone, and Fagan isn't quite Scott McGleish, but I can't say I'm unduly bothered about him any more than I care whether Guthrie gets suspended or not.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
horrendous,ban the twat for the rest of the season,it was assault:censored:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Whilst the tackle was ridiculous and Guthrie deserves a long ban, I wish they would outlaw shielding the ball. Obstruction, shirely?

In that type of situation I agree with you, but that would mean giving the referee discression (sp?) as to whether somebody is wasting time or looking for an option to pass to, and we wouldn't want the referee's to use their brain now would we!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was surprised that the other player involved got away scott free. He pushed over the fouled player as soon as he stood to his feet - something I understan to be also a red card worthy offence.

I think newcastle were luck that they only got away with the one red.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I was surprised that the other player involved got away scott free. He pushed over the fouled player as soon as he stood to his feet - something I understan to be also a red card worthy offence.

I think newcastle were luck that they only got away with the one red.

Exactly how I saw it as well

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest- I don't think I was paying much attention when I saw it on TV- what was the Newcastle fans' reaction to the red card?

One thing that really irritates me is when, following a deserved red card, fans stand up and applaud their player off.

Frankly if an Albion player had made that sort of challenge, or got sent off for abusing the referee, I wouldn't applaud him, I'd tell him exactly how idiotic I thought he was.

I can understand sympathy if there's some debate about the decision (or even if your player's sacrificed himself in the last minute with a cheeky professional foul to protect a precious lead), but it does my head in when people blindly applaud their red carded players when they've just done something stupid or costly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here