Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Cullips contract terminated by QPR

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Not sure. But then we give contracts to the like of Mayo and Hart and Cullip is light years ahead of Kerry in what he could offer us.

these two were given contracts only because if the clause in their contract saying if they played a certain number of games they had to have a renewal. DW did not want to renew thier contract but had to. players now do not have this clause as it unables us to get rid of dead wood.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The guy was immense and totaly commited in the shirt,sign to end of season if poss,and evaluate from there.Butters is class but lacking the pace now against the upcoming kids in this league.Ye can see Forest and N Tyson on fri working him for pace.Guy's a legend but time moves on and injurys dictate the need for another class defender.

Oh yeah? He spent 18 months on the transfer list while here. At his own request.

Saw him play recently against Brighton reserves for QPR reserves. Hopeless. Elder took the piss out of him for most of the match. Even Gatting out-paced him.

It's true we can always do with class defenders, but Danny Cullip certainly comes nowhere near that status. Lynch and Elphick could show him how to defend with daylight to spare. I put Danny Cullip in the 'class' league as much as I'd put Harry Redknapp or Sam Allardyce in the 'potential England manager' league.

He did a job for us once upon a time, but we have moved on in style, content and expectations now. So no thanks.

Oh yeah? He spent 18 months on the transfer list while here. At his own request.

I know a friend of his family and he always said that DC was looking for better all the while he was at The Albion.

His time has been and gone...thanks for what you did Danny and good luck in the future: it isn't with us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The guy was immense and totaly commited in the shirt,sign to end of season if poss,and evaluate from there.Butters is class but lacking the pace now against the upcoming kids in this league.Ye can see Forest and N Tyson on fri working him for pace.Guy's a legend but time moves on and injurys dictate the need for another class defender.[/QUOTE

I agree that DC was originally, but he faded towards the end and was responsible for giving away a lot of goals when we got relegated from the Championship.but he is NOT the answer to this problem now. I would sooner look at how Hinshlewood progresses with his injury or look at a 30 years old ex Prem or Prem/Res Central Defender who will be good enough if we get promotod this season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
During that time did he once decide not to put his body on the line to block a shot? Just because he was on the list does not mean he wasn't fully committed to the cause for the time he was here, an absolute insult to one of the most committed albion players in recent times.

Put his 'body on the line'? Absolutely, that was his JOB. One would have EXPECTED it.

All the while you're on the transfer list at your own request, how can you be 'committed' to that club? It was a statement of intent that he wanted to leave. He eventually signed a contract because no-one else wanted him.

Of course he was going to put himself about on the pitch, he was forever in the shop window.

Committed on the pitch? Probably. Committed off it? Bollocks.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Re the Guy Butters comment above, I agree that someone moving at walking pace could skin him, but I'm still not convinced that Baz could do him over 10 yards. God he was slow yesterday.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not for me.

He had a great couple of seasons, but in the second promotion season I always felt that Simon Morgan was a hugely underrated presence at centre half, and was at least as responsible for us going up as Cullip, or even Zamora for that matter.

Cullip never had any pace, and, much as we love to look through our rose tinted spectacles at him, his technique for getting the ball out of defence was generally of the "lump it as hard and far as you can" variety. Worked for getting us out of the Third Division, can't see it fitting in now.

If he was as good as we always thought, he'd have succeeded at another club, the fact is, whether at Sheffield United, Forest, Fulham or QPR, he never really has. Something about his game is getting found out.

Thanks for the memories, Danny, but we're not in the market.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not for me.

He had a great couple of seasons, but in the second promotion season I always felt that Simon Morgan was a hugely underrated presence at centre half, and was at least as responsible for us going up as Cullip, or even Zamora for that matter.

I thought that Simon Morgan was the key to our promotion and especially seeing as he went home from the games and had to rest before the next game and couldnt train. He also missed most midweek games because 2 games in a week was too much for him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was great for the Albion but we have moved on and I hope he will move on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My heart says I'd love Cullip to part of the squad for the second half of the season, but my head says the chances of the move working out would be 5-10%.

If O'Callaghan left and Elphick got injured then we would be short of leaders. I'm sure the thought of making an inquiry must have crossed Dick Knight's mind.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
A modern day Albion legend but any chance of a return is highly unlikely given Danny's 'robust' nature and his man management style on the pitch with younger players, which whilst having its fans, Adams, Taylor, Booker etc is probably not what Dean Wilkins is currently looking for.

Chabal

Sep 3, 2007
I would have him back, so long as he realises that he's not guaranteed a place in the team.

So, you would sign a player who is probably not going to be in the first team?

For a player of his age, I would say that is a little silly.

I would much rather see Lynch and Elphick play for the rest of the season, with El-Abd as back up.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Let me put it this way, we beat QPR reserves in August when Joe Gatting beat Cullip to score the winning goal.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as I loved it when Danny played for us, what does he offer that we don't already have?

1. Elphick, Lynch and Hinsh are quicker than him
2: Tank is better than him in the air and has better positional sense
3. El Abd is harder than him
4. Robbie Pethick has left, so there is no one left to clip round the ear.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what they thought of him at Watford, he only played four games for them, but it made an impression

You know where you are with Danny Cullip...and if you're an opposition forward, you're generally sitting on your arse after getting booted up in the air from behind. That's not to suggest that there's no artistry to his game, but in the main, it's restricted to finding innovative ways of beating up opponents without incurring the wrath of the referee. That's a flippant comment, of course, but not entirely without substance: his debut for the Hornets saw him spend a happy afternoon smacking Leeds' Rob Hulse into the turf without receiving a card, while Jay Demerit's attempts to follow suit crossed an invisible line and saw him dismissed. That's the benefit of experience.

It's also what you get from playing under Micky Adams for several years. Very much Adams' kind of player, is Danny Cullip - brutal, but almost so brutal that the whole thing comes full circle and takes on a theatrical, camp grace (and no, I wouldn't tell him that to his face) - and you wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of a move to Highfield Road over the summer. Clearly, Adrian Boothroyd has another agenda, turning down the option of signing him on a permanent basis in favour of looking for "a slightly different type of player"...which, presumably, means more than "slightly", given that there's little point in having someone who's a bit like Danny Cullip, any more than you'd bother buying something that's a bit like Marmite.

Rightly, however, the manager noted the part played in achieving safety. The initial controversy surrounding a loan deal that had been arranged by Ray Lewington prior to his sacking, and which appeared to involve swapping a first choice striker (Danny Webber) for an injured defender, dissipated as he regained his fitness and it became clear that his influence would indeed be significant. Prior to his arrival, a defence without the leadership of Sean Dyche had simply collapsed, leaking dreadful goals at crucial moments and making it impossible to build anything. Instantly, he brought a steel and a resolve and a competitive intent that had been missing, even if it took a little longer to stem the flow of goals against.

Danny Cullip wasn't quite Colin Foster, then, but he had a hefty, shaven-headed impact...and not just on Rob Hulse. The results that kept us up - wins at Rotherham and Stoke in the final weeks - were both achieved by the margin of a single goal, both based upon clean sheets. Much has been made of the bright, positive football that characterised the performances after Adrian Boothroyd had settled into the job; the plain fact, though, is that survival was achieved by something altogether less eye-catching, something rather more basic. We tightened up at the back. It was enough.

It was enough, and it wasn't coincidental. Just as the return of Alec Chamberlain added a certain composure, so the introduction of Danny Cullip brought in someone who was prepared - who relished the opportunity - to take charge of situations. To take responsibility for himself and for others. That's not Neil Cox, much as we wish that it were. It is Sean Dyche, and his injury proved to be a key turning point. Whoever, we desperately needed it...and the gamble (because it was a gamble, undeniably) on shoring up the defence while weakening the attack proved to be fully justified.

In the last moments of his final game for Watford, Danny Cullip offered his input to Ashley Young as the youngster went to take a corner. He offered that input by grabbing him around the ears, pressing forehead to forehead, and barking orders into his face. Whether friend or foe, the approach was hands-on, in the most literal sense.

It did the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here