Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dangerous dogs

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well as Mark Twain did say, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Staffs are amongst the most harmless dogs you can find however the Pit Bull is very closely related. There's a very high percentage of Staffs in the UK for the very reason that whilst being they are a strong dog they are in fact, as a rule very friendly. I would hazard a guess that right now they are probably the most popular pedigree breed. I personally knew a very big staff that all the neighbourhood kids would play with. Kids being kids they would pull his ears and his tail amongst other things but he never got upset. I have met plenty of staff owners who would agree.

The problem is though, that depsite people saying they are nice dogs, they have still bitten 230 people where i'm from.

Perhaps they were friendly for 364 other days, but on one day they bit someone.

And that day for the staffy breed seems far more common place than other breeds.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm sorry, those stats prove absolutely nothing. They take no account of the popularity and therefore population number of each breed mentioned.

I think the biggest problem with Staffies is that for the past good number of years they have been the dog of choice for 'macho' wankers in the UK. It is to the Staffies credit that despite this they have also become a popular family pet due to their friendly nature with people.

Every dog is generally only as good as it's owner, although ( as has already been stated ) dodgy breeding can mess that equation up too.

The last stats I saw from the dog periodicals had Labs/Retrievers at the top of the 'dangerous' list. Again though, these stats only tell half the story.

I used to have a parsons Jack Russell. Lovely little fella and perfectly friendly with kids IF supervised. I wouldn't have trusted him on his own though with small children as he didn't have patience for being pulled about.

How can you say they prove nothing?

There are more of the following breeds than staffys in the nation(Australia).

German Shepherds, Boder Collies, Golden Retrivers, Greyhounds, Labradors, Fox Terriers, Shitzhus, Chihuahuas, Blue Heelers, Kelpies, Rottweillers.

And yet the Staffy even though lesser in numbers counts for a far higher % of dog bite attacks than the breeds listed above.

And I'm not talking about the UK, I'm talking about another nation where they are actually owned by alot of normal families with kids.

So even though both nations are 1000's of miles apart the breed itself seems to have built a reputation and in my opinion a justified one of a breed of dog that is far more likely to bite you than most other breeds.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Jack Russells are vicious little bastards even if they are supposed to have a good temperament and can turn nasty in an instant.

Have to agree with that.

My docilie old greyhound was attacked several times while out walking by Jack Russells.

The great shame was he was so placid he wouldn't retaliate and thus he'd normally end up worse for wear until i'd been able to either kick the little fucker in thre guts or grab it by its collar and throw it back over its fence.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The problem is though, that depsite people saying they are nice dogs, they have still bitten 230 people where i'm from.

Perhaps they were friendly for 364 other days, but on one day they bit someone.

And that day for the staffy breed seems far more common place than other breeds.

Judging by the comments on here from people who own Staffs it makes a mockery of your Stats. As has been pointed out Staffs are very popular and as such there are more of them than probably any other pedigree breed. Your stats don't add up and neither does your understanding of dogs. I get the the distinct impression that whoever complied these stats lumped in Pit Bulls with Staffs as they are so similar in type but not in temperament.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Bringing back dog licences.

I used to be all in favour of replacing the old 37 1/2 p nonsense with a costly licence in the belief that it would deter arseholes from owning dogs.

I no longer believe that argument. Mainly because the wanker brigade seem to think that the more they spend on a fashion accessory ( and that's exactly what a dog is to a lot of these people ) the more kudos it brings. If they were minded to get a licence - and I'm doubtful a lot of them would anyway - money, it seems, is no object to them.

If you look at the number of people who don't have car tax or a TV license you'll realise that bringing back the dog license is pointless as only 'responsible' people will buy them.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Judging by the comments on here from people who own Staffs it makes a mockery of your Stats. As has been pointed out Staffs are very popular and as such there are more of them than probably any other pedigree breed. Your stats don't add up and neither does your understanding of dogs. I get the the distinct impression that whoever complied these stats lumped in Pit Bulls with Staffs as they are so similar in type but not in temperament.

Sorry, but I worked on a boarding kennel for many years so my understanding of dogs is actually extremely high.

I don't see how a few peoples comments have any effect on stats compiled by government bodies?

Unless you are suggesting there's a conspiracy against Staffys?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
I have Mastiffs and a greyhound, the greyhound is soft as a brush with people and bitches but with small dogs and entire males he is a twat! He is muzzled to go out, as he sees all small dogs as prey! That isnt because he is a nasty dog it is what he was bred for! I do however find small dog owners because my dog is muzzled allow their dogs to come sniffing at him, it is then they get my scouse tongue! Mastiffs are loyal family dogs and when I have a litter of puppies it goes in the contract that puppies will be returned to me if the new owners cannot keep them. If they are for pets they are speyed before going to their new home. I also insist that they are enrolled into a puppy class, as it is a learning process for the owner as well as the puppy. Before choosing a dog the breed should be looked into and people need to learn as much about them as possible, ie what they were originally bred for and then make an informed decision as to whether or not they can fulfil the dogs natural needs. When bred properly it is not the dogs who are at fault it is all down to ignorance on the owners part! "Here endeth the first lesson"!

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have Mastiffs and a greyhound, the greyhound is soft as a brush with people and bitches but with small dogs and entire males he is a twat! He is muzzled to go out, as he sees all small dogs as prey! That isnt because he is a nasty dog it is what he was bred for! I do however find small dog owner because my dog is muzzled allow their dogs to come sniffing at him, it is then they get my scouse tongue! Mastiffs are loyal family dogs and when I have a litter of puppies it goes in the contract that puppies will be returned to me if the new owners cannot keep them. If they are for pets they are speyed before going to their new home. I also insist that they are enrolled into a puppy class, as it is a learning process for the owner as well as the puppy. Before choosing a dog the breed should be looked into and people need to learn as much about them as possible, ie what they were originally bred for and then make an informed decision as to whether or not they can fulfil the dogs natural needs. When bred properly it is not the dogs who are at fault it is all down to ignorance on the owners part! "Here endeth the first lesson"!

:clap::clap::clap:Mastiffs are the proverbial dogs ! Nobody messes with them !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry, but I worked on a boarding kennel for many years so my understanding of dogs is actually extremely high.

I don't see how a few peoples comments have any effect on stats compiled by government bodies?

Unless you are suggesting there's a conspiracy against Staffys?

Well judging by the experience of Staff owners on here plus my own I have to say I think your stats are rubbish. As I said earlier I think that a lot of people confuse Staffs with Pit Bulls. In the part of Georgia I lived in Any Pit Bull that was running loose was rounded up and euthanised straight away such is the fear of them there.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
It is quite sad really, there is a couple of things people are forgetting. When buying a puppy our children need educating too. I had a lady bring her rottie dog to me a few years ago asking me if I would home him as he had biten her 7 year old son. I asked what had happened... The dog was tied up outside the local shops the child came out of the shop and stuck a lolly stick up the dogs ass!!!! Needless to say I took the dog and made her sign his papers over to me! The other thing is even Jack Russels have killed babies! It is down to OWNERS! Would you leave your children unsupervised? God it makes me so dam angry!!! :angry:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
It is quite sad really, there is a couple of things people are forgetting. When buying a puppy our children need educating too. I had a lady bring her rottie dog to me a few years ago asking me if I would home him as he had biten her 7 year old son. I asked what had happened... The dog was tied up outside the local shops the child came out of the shop and stuck a lolly stick up the dogs ass!!!! Needless to say I took the dog and made her sign his papers over to me! The other thing is even Jack Russels have killed babies! It is down to OWNERS! Would you leave your children unsupervised? God it makes me so dam angry!!! :angry:

:clap:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Not funny really considering the damage the dog COULD have done! I personally think under the circumstances the dog did very well not to eat the little fucker!

Sorry, I know. When I read it, I saw it in cartoon form. :down:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Have to agree with that.

My docilie old greyhound was attacked several times while out walking by Jack Russells.

The great shame was he was so placid he wouldn't retaliate and thus he'd normally end up worse for wear until i'd been able to either kick the little fucker in thre guts or grab it by its collar and throw it back over its fence.

That's the way to treat them mate, the thing is if the JR had turned around and taken a great chunk out out of your leg, it would be the dog getting the blame from you! Brilliant! And you worked with dogs you said? Good f***ing grief

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How can you say they prove nothing?

Because they're not real statistics. Give us percentages of dog attacks listed by breed and then argue your point, you're probably correct but they do prove nothing until you justify your claims. Saying there's more Staffs doesn't prove anything either, just the same as ever Tom, Dick and Harry's anecdotes...

Here's what I think about it anyway..

Dogs are dangerous, simple as that. The bigger and stronger the dog, the greater the potential risk.

The greater the number of larger/stronger dogs we have, the more people are going to be at potential risk..

Couple that with an apparent increase in the number of absolute morons in this world and the problem will get worse.

Train your dog as best you can, put it on a lead in public, never leave it in the same room with unsupervised children.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
People you’re either going to be for or against, but can I just say this.

I didn’t want a dog but through my job I ended up taking an unwanted 6 week old staffie puppy home as the dogs trust was closed at that time of night.
My kids saw her and we’ve now had her for two years and she’s bought us a lot of pleasure.

People will cross the street when they see her coming and others will not let their dogs near her. I can honestly say that she’s as soft as the proverbial and never been a problem other than being a bit greedy and a bit windy.
That said, If she did have a go at anyone she would be out.

My mother had a Yorkshire Terrier and it was spoilt and as nasty as you like and bit several people in it’s time but it was a little dog and no one said anything.

My point being:

At the end of the day it’s how you treat them and bring them up. Bring a dog up like a chav and it will behave like one.

I bet the statistics on the owners of the biting dogs would be far more stereotypical than anything else whatever the breed of dog.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
People you’re either going to be for or against, but can I just say this.

I didn’t want a dog but through my job I ended up taking an unwanted 6 week old staffie puppy home as the dogs trust was closed at that time of night.
My kids saw her and we’ve now had her for two years and she’s bought us a lot of pleasure.

People will cross the street when they see her coming and others will not let their dogs near her. I can honestly say that she’s as soft as the proverbial and never been a problem other than being a bit greedy and a bit windy.
That said, If she did have a go at anyone she would be out.

My mother had a Yorkshire Terrier and it was spoilt and as nasty as you like and bit several people in it’s time but it was a little dog and no one said anything.

My point being:

At the end of the day it’s how you treat them and bring them up. Bring a dog up like a chav and it will behave like one.

I bet the statistics on the owners of the biting dogs would be far more stereotypical than anything else whatever the breed of dog.

Good post :clap::clap::clap:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Agree with this completely apart from you thinking it's easy to put a dog in a pigeon hole. I would imagine that would have to be a very small breed of dog or a hole left by a very large pigeon.

Anyway, from what I've read there is nothing intrinsic in any breed that makes it more aggressive or likely to bite, however certain breeds bites are gonna hurt a lot more than another.

So in the case of the stronger breeds of dog, there is obviously more responsibility on the owner to make sure the dog is trained correctly.

Unfortunately the reality is much different and many people (who probably shouldn't be allowed to own dogs at all) go for the stronger breeds for the obvious reasons.

I see it daily round here (what are perceived as "fighting dogs" have become fashionable again) and I see the idiots out with them and the way they treat them.

So on the basis of probability I think I'm right to be more vary of those type of dogs than a Spaniel.
surely there must be something about pitbulls etc ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here