Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dangerous dogs

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm just going by the statistics, and unlike owners, they aren't biased or lie.

Off the top of my head the stats I saw had Staffy bites at around 230+

The next closest breeds were a few of the usual suspects in German Shepherds, Blue Heelers, Rottweilers and even the Border Collie.

But the next breed behind the Staffy was on around 50-60 bites.

So that's a huge gap in the total people bitten by specified breeds.

And it's a pretty damning statistic towards the breed.

I'm sorry, those stats prove absolutely nothing. They take no account of the popularity and therefore population number of each breed mentioned.

I think the biggest problem with Staffies is that for the past good number of years they have been the dog of choice for 'macho' wankers in the UK. It is to the Staffies credit that despite this they have also become a popular family pet due to their friendly nature with people.

Every dog is generally only as good as it's owner, although ( as has already been stated ) dodgy breeding can mess that equation up too.

The last stats I saw from the dog periodicals had Labs/Retrievers at the top of the 'dangerous' list. Again though, these stats only tell half the story.

I used to have a parsons Jack Russell. Lovely little fella and perfectly friendly with kids IF supervised. I wouldn't have trusted him on his own though with small children as he didn't have patience for being pulled about.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm sorry, those stats prove absolutely nothing. They take no account of the popularity and therefore population number of each breed mentioned.

I think the biggest problem with Staffies is that for the past good number of years they have been the dog of choice for 'macho' wankers in the UK. It is to the Staffies credit that despite this they have also become a popular family pet due to their friendly nature with people.

Every dog is generally only as good as it's owner, although ( as has already been stated ) dodgy breeding can mess that equation up too.

The last stats I saw from the dog periodicals had Labs/Retrievers at the top of the 'dangerous' list. Again though, these stats only tell half the story.

I used to have a parsons Jack Russell. Lovely little fella and perfectly friendly with kids IF supervised. I wouldn't have trusted him on his own though with small children as he didn't have patience for being pulled about.

Exactly, well made points.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My Jack's exactly the same

Jacks are PROPER dogs ! :thumbsup:

Mine died aged 15 and now, due to family committments, I'm without a dog.

If ever I were to get a dog again though I wouldn't hestitate to get a Jack or any small terrier x. Pedigrees are more trouble than they're worth half the time due to the skewed thinking of too many dog breeders over the years.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Jacks are PROPER dogs ! :thumbsup:

Mine died aged 15 and now, due to family committments, I'm without a dog.

If ever I were to get a dog again though I wouldn't hestitate to get a Jack or any small terrier x. Pedigrees are more trouble than they're worth half the time due to the skewed thinking of too many dog breeders over the years.

Mines a black and Tan 9 years old now and a great dog. I've also got a Patterdale Terrier a 2 year old bitch who is equally as nice.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
ive got 2 staffs, never had a problem with these 2 OR the others ive owned, theyre great dogs and very lovable.....

....having said that, i am fully aware of the (potential) damage that theyre capable of and would never put anyone (or the dogs) in that situation.
its all about upbringing and responsibility

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
i am fully aware of the (potential) damage that theyre capable of and would never put anyone (or the dogs) in that situation.
:bowdown:
And that ladies and gents are the words of a RESPONSIBLE dog owner, if everyone thought like this, accidents like this would be very few and far between !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My jack is a good a natured dog as you could find, in fact she is a big wuzzie with people and other dogs. I would not though leave her in a room alone with a baby or very young child as there is always a first time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:bowdown:
And that ladies and gents are the words of a RESPONSIBLE dog owner, if everyone thought like this, accidents like this would be very few and far between !

Indeed but there are any number of ways 'Responsible adults' can be irresponsible whether it be deliberate, accidental by being complacent or just out of sheer ignorance.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Indeed but there are any number of ways 'Responsible adults' can be irresponsible whether it be deliberate, accidental by being complacent or just out of sheer ignorance.
But that's the point isn't it ? A responsible dog owner should never be complacent and they definitely shouldn't be ignorant!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But that's the point isn't it ? A responsible dog owner should never be complacent and they definitely shouldn't be ignorant!!!

Agreed but sadly a lot of people who have dogs are clueless. Mind you the moron that tailgated me yesterday morning in the snow was pretty dumb too.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
All the more reason to bring back the dog license.

That didn't work before and actually cost 35p but cost the authorities £2 to collect. I would rather that all dogs were chipped at birth.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
ive got 2 staffs, never had a problem with these 2 OR the others ive owned, theyre great dogs and very lovable.....

....having said that, i am fully aware of the (potential) damage that theyre capable of and would never put anyone (or the dogs) in that situation.

Spot on mate, i also have 2 Staffs and i have owned 3 previous to these 2 and they are superb dogs, but they are powerful, powerful dogs and in the wrong hands a killing machine, and there lies the problem, if you are going to decide to own ANY dog it comes with responsibility. If you kick and clump any breed of dog they will eventually respond in kind and become aggressive back, just like a human really its not brain surgery now is it?
Unfortunately for the poor SBT they are the dog of choice for a lot of the twat population because they use their fighting past as a macho status symbol and can't look after themselves let alone a f***ing dog! SBT's like every canine are not born aggressive it has to be brought out in them, but it is very easy to pigeonhole them isn't it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Spot on mate, i also have 2 Staffs and i have owned 3 previous to these 2 and they are superb dogs, but they are powerful, powerful dogs and in the wrong hands a killing machine, and there lies the problem, if you are going to decide to own ANY dog it comes with responsibility. If you kick and clump any breed of dog they will eventually respond in kind and become aggressive back, just like a human really its not brain surgery now is it?
Unfortunately for the poor SBT they are the dog of choice for a lot of the twat population because they use their fighting past as a macho status symbol and can't look after themselves let alone a f***ing dog! SBT's like every canine are not born aggressive it has to be brought out in them, but it is very easy to pigeonhole them isn't it?

I am a huge Staff Fan, think they're great dogs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Agree with this completely apart from you thinking it's easy to put a dog in a pigeon hole. I would imagine that would have to be a very small breed of dog or a hole left by a very large pigeon.

Anyway, from what I've read there is nothing intrinsic in any breed that makes it more aggressive or likely to bite, however certain breeds bites are gonna hurt a lot more than another.

So in the case of the stronger breeds of dog, there is obviously more responsibility on the owner to make sure the dog is trained correctly.

Unfortunately the reality is much different and many people (who probably shouldn't be allowed to own dogs at all) go for the stronger breeds for the obvious reasons.

I see it daily round here (what are perceived as "fighting dogs" have become fashionable again) and I see the idiots out with them and the way they treat them.

So on the basis of probability I think I'm right to be more vary of those type of dogs than a Spaniel.

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Well from what I've read on the subject.

There is nothing intrinsic in any breed that makes it more aggressive or likely to bite, however certain breeds bites are gonna hurt a lot more than another.

So in the case of the stronger breeds of dog, there is obviously more responsibility on the owner to make sure the dog is trained correctly.

Unfortunately the reality is much is different and people who probably shouldn't be allowed to own dogs at all, go for the stronger breeds.

I see it daily round here, so I think on the basis of probability I'm right to be more vary of those type of dogs than a Spaniel.

Absolutely right CG :thumbsup:

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I was thinking about this yesterday when I heard about the death of the baby in the care of his grandmother. I was imagining a scene where the young baby was being doted on and perhaps the attention was not being lavished on the dog in the usual way. I can only assume that the dogs were in the same room, unsupervised, albeit for a minute, which is when disaster struck.

Clearly they should not have been left unsupervised. The dogs could have been kept in a separate room or a baby gate could have been used.

There are so many dog behaviour/kids behaviour programmes on TV but I have never seem anything on TV which examines these incidents and what leads to these tragedies. It may seem very common sense to most of us but there are obviously people out there who do not make those common sense decisions. I would like to see something on TV as it would be interesting and would hopefully make people think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here