Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding - time to let it go now....?

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I just don't get it. Why did he receive more abuse than Hammond , who deserves it far more. I will give him stick forevermore because of his unforgivable
behaviour at Withdean. I couldn't understand why he didn't get more abuse than Harding . Some fans have short memories.

Could be that he was running up and down a few yards from 13k Albion fans in the West Stand whereas Hammond wisely stuck to the middle of the park. Harding didn't help himself by launching a red card tackle at CMS and getting away with it. The fact that he was clearly upset and letting the crowd get to him only added to the fun (sorry) abuse. It's not often that you see a professional footballer lose it on the pitch.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that's it, he was nearer the crowd so easier to abuse than Hammond, who hid in the middle all game.

The best bit of the whole episode was seeing the sub get stripped, being almost certain it was Harding who was getting hooked, and the ensuing couple of minutes of glorious anticipation leading up to Dan's number being raised. And then the cheering of the crowd as everyone realised too, and Harding's petulant, humiliated, Kevin The Teenager stomping off the field.

I know it's childish, but I loved it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Here, 3000-odd miles away, I was PISSING myself laughing when that big cheer went up when he got subbed. I've never liked him. So, on balance, no.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
No. He can do one.

This. I loved every minute of the abuse i and everyone around me gave him on Saturday. He never signed my programme at the Albion Horse Racing all those years ago - he's a twat.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I just don't get it. Why did he receive more abuse than Hammond , who deserves it far more. I will give him stick forevermore because of his unforgivable
behaviour at Withdean. I couldn't understand why he didn't get more abuse than Harding . Some fans have short memories.

Because he always get rattled and puts in a shite performance - and because witnessing that is extremely funny AND rewarding. Nothing against the guy, it just works!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
No don't let it go. This is where the 'twelfth man' really does work. Any tactic lawful that can give our team the advantage should be used.
On the other hand, I don't know whether the constant abuse generally helped or hindered with Scott McGleish, as it may actually have motivated him. I suspect that he accepted the role of 'pantomime villain' as a matter of fact, and played accordingly.
Finally, knowing our assessment of his 'medical condition', why did Steve Coppell join us? I cannot think of anyone apart from these three that have been targeted for such a long time.

Alot goes on behind the scenes that many don't know about, Not defending him but perhaps just stick to the boo-ing not a personal insults.

Stop pretending that you've got the inside track and come out with it, if there's anything even to be said.

I don't care if Harding was young, impressionable, badly advised or whatever. He shat on us and should cop it every time we meet. Plus, it works, so even more reason to do it.

I'd also suggest that another reason why Hammond got less stick is because he was doing his usual invisible man impression. He saw so little of the ball the opportunities to boo him were sparse!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
In the words of Richard Ingrams when Nigel Dempster asked "How long is this vendetta against me going to go on?"

"For ever and ever".

Lush

Mods' Pet
Abuse worked on Harding because he was closer, but mainly because he was already pissed off at getting skinned by Buckley.

It may also have worked on Hammond in that he did his usual 'hiding in no-mans-land just in front of the back four' (how many games for us did you forget he was even on the pitch?).

However I imagine Harding was probably more worried about what Atkins was going to say to him after the game than anything.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think that's it, he was nearer the crowd so easier to abuse than Hammond, who hid in the middle all game.

The best bit of the whole episode was seeing the sub get stripped, being almost certain it was Harding who was getting hooked, and the ensuing couple of minutes of glorious anticipation leading up to Dan's number being raised. And then the cheering of the crowd as everyone realised too, and Harding's petulant, humiliated, Kevin The Teenager stomping off the field.

I know it's childish, but I loved it.
Indeed, he might actually have been a bit lucky not to get sent off as he walked off with the abuse he seemed to be giving the linesman (presumably he was watching the game too much for Little Dan's liking).

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure that we had that much effect on his performance. He wasn't having a bad game when going forward and was looking more dangerous than Lallana, Do Prado and Hammond. However, his defensive work was appalling (just like when he played for us). I think Gus will have known that from his time at Leeds and took advantage of that by playing Buckley. Once he had forced a couple of fouls Buckley and Lua Lua swapped wings which probably lulled him into a false sense of security, then we switched it back and it was a very wise decision by Adkins to withdraw him as he would have been sent off before half time if he hadn't. Of course, the sound effects helped but I believe it was the tactics that really did him in. That didn't make it any less fun though!!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
How intriguing that this thread was started by someone who spent a fair amount of effort having a goat someone who at the time WAS playing for us.

zzzzzzzzzzz.

I was having a go at someone who earns more in a month than any of us earn in a year, essentially because he was so pathetically lazy he REFUSED to jump for headers. He went up for about 1 in 10.

I never slagged him off for his lack of goals (unlike some posters), his poor first touch (unlike some posters) or anything else.... simply his refusal to jump for headers.

If you walked into work one day and refused outright to the do the most basic of tasks (for no good reason), would you not expect some criticism?

Of course it isn't time to let it go. Football needs its pantomime figures to boo and cheer. Robbie Savage, Joey Barton, Roy Keane, Adkins, Hammond, McGleish, Murray - they all know the score. Football is pure theatre.

Harding will always get booed. I don't think it's anything personal.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree that it is time to give it a miss after all this time.

But, if anyone cuts up rough on one of our players, yeah, let's give him a roasting.

Remember, whatever we, as fans do, may come back to haunt our team in the return fixture (whichever opposing team)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here