Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding - A star in the making?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Just wondered what everyone else has made of Dan Harding's last few performances, since he took over Kerry Mayo's slot? In my view, for such a young player, he has been exceptional. He is reasonable quick, tackles well, has the ability to make long, accurate, raking passes and gets forward whenever he can. He is already looking like a very accomplished left back and with Virgo also impressing I think that we can look forward to next season with confidence, whatever league we are in.

Harding does, of course, make the occasional mistake (what player doesn't) but on the whole he is beginning to look like a great asset to the team. I just hope that we can hang on to him but if he continues to play like he has, it won't be long before other scouts come sniffing round.

A big well done to all the youngsters.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Harvey

Jul 8, 2003
Over there.
Agreed. He also showed great maturity (if a little bewilderment) with that rather unforunate incident a couple of games ago when he got that ball shoved in his stomach. Felt a bit sorry for the lad as he watched the mass brawl ensue.

:clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't wait for next year when these players really get a chance to shine. McGhee has had a look at them now and i trust his judgement as to which of the youngsters will cut it as professionals and those that probably won't.

Of course in the back of my mind the thought of them not playing at Falmer really gets to me. Tehy will have no future with us without our f***ing STADIUM.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
bye bye mayo & watson - the kids are doing GGGAAARRREEEEEAT (as tony would say) :wave: :wave: :wave:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
looks like being a great player, but does he have 'kick me' written on his forehead?

v B'mouth - Steve Fletcher picks him up and launches him for having the audacity to mark him

v Stockport - McIlroy tries to surgically insert a thrid bollock into him

v Tranmere - badger-haired right back scythes him down with a two-footed lunge

Not bad for 4/5 games, I'm sure there was another one as well

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Repugnant Toad said:
looks like being a great player, but does he have 'kick me' written on his forehead?

v B'mouth - Steve Fletcher picks him up and launches him for having the audacity to mark him

v Stockport - McIlroy tries to surgically insert a thrid bollock into him

v Tranmere - badger-haired right back scythes him down with a two-footed lunge

Not bad for 4/5 games, I'm sure there was another one as well

I take your point. Maybe some of the opposition are just frustrated at his close marking and refusal to give up? If he is upsetting the opposition, he's doing well in my opinion.

:clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Great player and improving all the time.

A good article in the Tranmere Seagull programme about him.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Dan, Virgo and Jake could be the real backbone of our side for a good few years .... if we can keep them!

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I've watched Dan Harding in both the Youth amd Reserves, and have said for quite a while now he could go a long way in football!! Hopefully it will be with the Albion :bounce:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Looks like a great prospect

I think he would operate even better in a back five as a wing back.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Well done to Martin Hinshelwood and Dean Wilkins for bringing them through. We have an excellent youth set-up.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
And whilst I'm at it I meant to say that I thought that El Abd looked a decent prospect as well on Weds night. I'd rather forgotten about him.

:shootself

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Harding for me has been the most exciting player to come out of the youth scheme in the last few years! He plays the sort of football I like to see. He plays with his head up and 'trys' to bring the midfield into play when ever possible. He has a cool head and rarely resorts to hoof football ala Cullip & Butters. Virgo is similar but has more expierence.

To be honest the back four at the moment are looking very good! Cullip and Butters in the middle to deal with the aerial threats and mop up at the back. Harding and Virgo on the wings looking to play the ball out of defence thus setting up our next attack.

Unlike McGhee I believe a good team is bulit from a string back four. You have to look to stop conceeding the goals before you start worrying about scoring them. We've stop the goals well. Now we look to push the ball into midfiled. Hart is playing well at the moment down the right and is getting back to his best (considering he's supposed to be a centre forward). Jones, still our best option on the left. Unfortunatley he is either a genius or a joke. There is no in between with this boy! Oatway and Chippy in the middle of the park. Oatway the work horse and has been producing some solid performances of late. Chippy our version of a creative midfielder. Only seems to perform well when he has a big man to aim for and hol the ball up. Up front we have Knight and ??? Knight needs quick balls played along the floor or set up from the other striker. The other striker is our only concern at the momnet. Robinson is not the answer as he is more obvious replacement for Knight. McPhee has the height to perform the "second striker" role well. Let's hope he's learnt from Big Ben and throws his weight about a bit and offers himself as a dependable target for Chippy.

on the bench we have Roger (when fit) Piercy (another second striker option, but better used as a third striker to play in the Cantona role behind the main two), Mayo losing it a bit but I'm sure it's just a blip still well worth a squad place for me. El-Abed good prospect for the future!

We need another big striker to hold the ball up and some decent cover in midfield. Other than that we're looking pretty good!

Any midfielders in the Youth set up?

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Only seen him play at home to Bournemouth and he played well in that game. Mayo hasn’t played that well this season and it is good to see Harding in the side.

We seem to be really lucky (and/or as a result of a decent youth system) that we have some genuine young players with a chance of making it into the first team.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Does seem to be the typical old fashioned full-back with a change of pace. I would not expect a full-back to be star (unless he can take swerving free kicks) and I though Adam Himnshelwood was a better passer out of defence. Left back is Danny Harding's position. Kerry Mayo was only put at full-back because he could not hack it in midfield.

I am not sure that is even right. Kerry Mayo looks better in midfield than John Piercey (trouble is Kerry Mayo is meant to be playing full-back and cannot get back in time).

I thought Nathan Jones covered up nicely at full-back when Danny Harding went forward. Nathan Jones is the best crosser we have got wide from the left. Mainly this is because he is the only one. We used to have Simon Rodger and Bobby Z who could cross from the left.

I am not sure that Danny Harding is any more than the most effective destroyer full-back that I can remember. He has not showed all that much going forward. Thats why I said old fashioned. The old full-backs never used to go forward much. (Well, Mel Hopkins did not.)

Last edited:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Yorkie said:
Great player and improving all the time.

A good article in the Tranmere Seagull programme about him.

Hats off to Kerry too. In that programme piece Harding says Kerry has been superb, offering encouragement and guidance all the time. Even after taking his place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here