Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Glass did respond to the Argus website, but it has been buried...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
....amongst other news.

Anyone thinking of attending?

Please do come to an open debate on Sussex Campus at 5pm on Wednesday April 25th in Falmer Common Room, Falmer House, University of Sussex Students’ Union- ALL WELCOME.

Please email education@ussu.sussex.ac.uk- if you would like to speak or to attend so that we can gather an idea of numbers or if you have any questions.

At USSU we are committed to open and fair debates. We welcome all members of the local and wider communities opinions on the whereabouts of the new Falmer Stadium.

I apologise for not responding sooner, I have been inundated with emails as you can imagine. The Argus reported wrongly that the motion was passed. It was brought up as a discussion item and we merely notified the Argus that a working group was set up in planning a campaign to work with the vested interests in seeking alternative sites for the stadium and finding the best solution for everyone.

I look forward to meeting you on the 25th.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact.

Yours truly,

Dan Glass

And to answer your questions J:

1. Why is ok for two massive unis to be built on the site for middle class students but not a footy ground for working class people of moulscombe who will benefit hugely?

It’s not

2. Why ignore that there is a motorway at the site, and two huge universities.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. In Britain, 80% of our ancient woodland is gone- we are a nation founded upon destroying our environment. It is not good that either Universities or a motorway were built through such an area either. And believe me, if I had been there at the planning stages- I would have been very vocal too.

3. Southern Water is at the site and half the ground is being built on 1960s building at Brighton Poly.

Not relevant. It will still dramatically and negatively affect the local environment. Hate to go on about the environmental issues- but with the current state of play- with the younger generation not knowing whether Brighton will be under water or not in 50 years- we want to save any untouched piece of land possible- for everyone.

4. Many thousands voted about 10 years ago on this issue and it was carried by a massive local majority.

I believe you may be right. However, new circumstances have arisen, the geography and demography of the area has changed and residents now have different priorities.

5. You are a (welcome) guest in Sussex and you should respect a local 100 plus year institution such as The Albion.

Thank you. I do respect The Albion. I cannot estimate enough my admiration for the team and the community. Brighton is one of the most incredible places for a person to live, young or old. However, it is a flawed argument in the sense that environmental issues know no borders- therefore I would appreciate an individual in Timbuktu to be concerned as well- ecological collapse affects everyone.

6. Its just wrong to say its AONB (even if you are from Sheffield 1960 buildings with a motorway through it is not exactly picture postcard!)

As above

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If he cares for the environment so much why doesn't he stay in his own community and leave ours alone?

Sorry, but this prick has got me spitting blood with his trite responses. None of his business and if it was he's missed the chance to have his say. I won't be attending as I don't want to give the oxygen of publicity for this jumped up twat.

Grrr....

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
A friend who goes to the Uni has advised this Dan Glass supplies Ketamine to students around the Uni. Would be nice to get some proof of this and pass onto the argus. :clap2:

What a nobber!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Barrel of Fun said:

4. Many thousands voted about 10 years ago on this issue and it was carried by a massive local majority.

I believe you may be right. However, new circumstances have arisen, the geography and demography of the area has changed and residents now have different priorities.

He is either right or wrong and if Mr Glass had done his research he would know that many thousands voted in favour.

Ps How has the geography changed at Falmer in the last 10 years? Apart from some further developments? ???
PPs How the demography changed? ???
PPPs Residents priorities changed?! :thud:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Question - with the British tradition of leaving home to go to college, what percentage of students will still be in Sussex in three years time? 10%? 20%? 25% at a push?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
he's a totally insignifant cock who makes not a jot to the decision Ruth Kelly makes so who gives a shit, kick him, abuse him if you want but best to just ignore the tosser

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
MYOB said:
Question - with the British tradition of leaving home to go to college, what percentage of students will still be in Sussex in three years time? 10%? 20%? 25% at a push?

If only.

The sad truth a huge number of them stick around after finishing their degrees (or not as the case maybe) because they can't get enough of Brighton.

This is why the job market is so competitive round here, and wages so poor.

We should start getting more aggressive about who we let in, like they do in Australia. Fair enough you want to come study here, but once you're done... f*** OFF

And as for this Glass chap, what a prize WANKER. For an educated man his arguments are shockingly flawed, and put across entirely unconvincingly.

I would love to see him engaged in a proper debate over our stadium...

Fan: Why is ok for two massive uni's to be built on the site for middle class students but not a footy ground for working class people of moulscombe who will benefit hugely?

Glass: It’s not

Well that's won me over, well done on such an articulate response to this burning question. Best move on to another site then, hey has anybody ever thought about Toads Hall Valley?

:jester:

Yoda

English & European
Re: Re: Dan Glass did respond to the Argus website, but it has been buried...

Barrel of Fun said:
Ps How has the geography changed at Falmer in the last 10 years? Apart from some further developments? ???
PPs How the demography changed? ???
PPPs Residents priorities changed?! :thud:

Exactly what I was thinking.

ps. Hurry up and put me as a friend on myspaz. :jester:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Barrel of Fun said:
we merely notified the Argus that a working group was set up in planning a campaign to work with the vested interests in seeking alternative sites for the stadium and finding the best solution for everyone.

Why has no-one else thought to look for alternative sites all this time :ohmy:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Dan Glass did respond to the Argus website, but it has been buried...

Yoda said:
Exactly what I was thinking.

ps. Hurry up and put me as a friend on myspaz. :jester:

Sorry Yoda - I rarely visit myspaz - Facebook is where it is AT :geek:

You will be duly added after I have my dinner. :D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Picky perhaps but there are no motorways in East Sussex.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
" However, new circumstances have arisen, the geography and demography of the area has changed and residents now have different priorities."

" And believe me, if I had been there at the planning stages- I would have been very vocal too..."

Completely contradicts himself with those statements as obviously environmental concerns weren't at the forefront of the wide general publics mind when the University and Road were constructed.

I'm sure the bloke is ok but his concerns are obviously completely misplaced in the context of the stadium.

I suspect he's realising that now.

He's reminds me of a lecturer I had at University who would always manage to bring in the rights of the working class and the negatives of sexism into every lecture.

There was a very intelligent working class mature student in a seminar who pointed out to her that most working class blokes he knew were actually very sexist.

Lifes far more complicated than a lecture or the minutes of an NUS meeting.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barrel of Fun said:
In Britain, 80% of our ancient woodland is gone- we are a nation founded upon destroying our environment.
What the fuckety f*** has ancient woodland got to do with it? Which swathes of forestry are being done away with to build this stadium? In fact, you sexual spastic, MORE trees will be there by the time the stadium is finished.

What a cunt.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Some people just love to jump on a bandwagon dont they? Shame the wheels fell off of this one a long time ago!:nono:

Find a current issue you hippy twonk, there's nothing more to add to this one bar the final decision.

What a wombat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here