Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He is a quality squad player. But Veltman cost about a million right?

Veltman's was a loyalty release clause in his Ajax contract after agreeing to stay with them for 2 more years on his previous contract.

That £900k he came to us for isn't really a comparison to Burn's value to us with 18 months left on his.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Given the cost of replacing him, his importance to the squad, and the additional 20% Saudi tax, I would be very disappointed with anything under £20m, and only satisfied with anything above £25m.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He has been outstanding this season, but:
* He is 30 now
* Only last season, he was a liability in some games. Wolves at home being the crowning glory
* We've got 3 or 4 other centre backs, and that doesn't include the crop of U23s who have got no chance or getting first team experience at the moment

If we get £15m for him, I think that's fair for all parties although obviously most of us would be sad to see him go.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's not worth selling him in my opinion, he's our James Milner. The sort of good egg, guaranteed a 7/10 performance week in/out, play multiple positions without a fuss.

His intrinsic value is far higher to us than what Newcastle would pay.

This is very true, his value to us and his ability and willingness to be utilised as and when required creates depth in the squad and helps things to remain harmonious

The decision may come down to where he will be in the pecking order in 12 months time, If he is likely to fall behind Ostigard, Roberts, Van Hecke, Tsoungui whilst his sale value will drop as he enters the last 6 months of his contract I can see why the board may take the right offer if it arrives. £10m would feel like robbery but with only 18 months left on his contract we could see this become a serious negotiation

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was at the Chelsea game and Burn was unbelievable, his positioning and tracking of Lukaku was perfect. Webster didn't have his finest game but Burn was so good it didn't matter,

This is madness. How could anyone watch that Chelsea game, and think Webster was anything other than fantastic. It was the complete footballing centre-half's performance - tackles, perfect interceptions, accurate passing, a magnificent solo run, and capped with a brilliant headed goal. The performance which shone a huge light on him, gained him a ton of media adulation, and will lead to his imminent England call up.

It quite literally WAS his 'finest game'.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Should jump at chance at £10m plus. He is 29 and long term will not start ahead of Dunk and Webster. We are safe now so build up coffers for a summer spend

Righto, then - I'll, errr... drive him there myself.

BFG.jpg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
* He is 30 now
* Only last season, he was a liability in some games. Wolves at home being the crowning glory
* We've got 3 or 4 other centre backs, and that doesn't include the crop of U23s who have got no chance or getting first team experience at the moment

If we get £15m for him, I think that's fair for all parties although obviously most of us would be sad to see him go.

30 not old for a centre back
He's never once been a liability when played in the centre. (If you stick a 6 foot 7 player wide against Traore, then yes ok he may get exposed)
We have 3 or 4 centre backs, who we've not been able to keep fit all season. (Webby in particular, seems to pick up quite a few injuries)

Also, if it's not been said enough times...... whatever you do, don't sell to Newcastle. If they stay up, wage inflation will increase across the division and they'll be back to tempt more of our players. If we can help to put that off for a year, lets do it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
* He is 30 now

Agree completely, and I'd add in:
-- we've got 4 CBs who are, or soon to be, in their 30s, so we need to manage that process
-- we've got several promising CBs currently out on loan (especially Ostigard, van Hecke and Clarke)
-- we don't want to develop a reputation of standing in the way of players' wishes. If Burn has only got 18 months on his contract, and he's got the chance of new 3 or 4 year contract on, say, double his wages, for his home club, then he'll likely want to go ...

... If we get a silly offer now or even a very decent one (the £15m you indicate), it's well worth considering. More money for GP, TB, DA and PW to play with.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sky is reporting a £7m bid rejected. Just because its Newcastle and so late in the window we should be asking for triple that, if we were going to sell.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Wouldn't begrudge him a move to his boyhood club of course, just a shame who their owners are now.

However, with Lamptey not starting every game, pretty much alternating with Veltman on the right, Burn will likely be starting alongside Webster and Dunk in a five at the back before Duffy, his performances don't warrant dropping for our captain either atm.

And he is left footed and can play LB/LWB at a push. He's solid and very cultured for a big guy, and his height is a threat at corners.

I'd be annoyed if we sold him at all, but especially in Jan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
30 not old for a centre back
How many years at the top level do you think he's got? Two or three I'd guess.

He's never once been a liability when played in the centre. (If you stick a 6 foot 7 player wide against Traore, then yes ok he may get exposed)
We have 3 or 4 centre backs, who we've not been able to keep fit all season. (Webby in particular, seems to pick up quite a few injuries)
I can't say I disagree with any of this - he's not a liability, he's been great at centre half, but shaky playing full back. However, he is very much 3rd choice centre back isn't he? And you have to weigh that up with the fee, the player's willingness to leave and whether 4th or 5th choice are noticeably worse. Duffy is 4th and he's had good games too. Then there's the kids coming through to consider.

Also, if it's not been said enough times...... whatever you do, don't sell to Newcastle. If they stay up, wage inflation will increase across the division and they'll be back to tempt more of our players. If we can help to put that off for a year, lets do it
Disagree with this.
a) We don't want a reputation of standing in the way of players who wish to move
b) If we don't sell, someone else will, and we are not a relegation rival of theirs.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
25-30M is the minimum fair price and we don’t have to sell. Should be requiring the best part of 40M or at least something in the 30’s if he pushes for a move as a fan of the club.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sky is reporting a £7m bid rejected. Just because its Newcastle and so late in the window we should be asking for triple that, if we were going to sell.

They have so much Wonga it's obscene. If we sell to them then at least rinse them for a sensible figure of £20m plus. Wood went for £25m and is older so we should be getting at least £20m which is now chump change to them.

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
This is madness. How could anyone watch that Chelsea game, and think Webster was anything other than fantastic. It was the complete footballing centre-half's performance - tackles, perfect interceptions, accurate passing, a magnificent solo run, and capped with a brilliant headed goal. The performance which shone a huge light on him, gained him a ton of media adulation, and will lead to his imminent England call up.

It quite literally WAS his 'finest game'.

Honestly think I'm just too critical, was interested to see what anyone thought here too. I mentioned it to my mate and he also called me bonkers, but I felt like his game against Palace was the best I've ever seen him. I think it is unfair of me to compare a game against Palace to Chelsea since as a whole there was just less time on the ball so naturally players won't look as comfortable. Maybe I was too fixated on Burn making Lukaku look like a retired Heskey to appreciate Adam :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here