Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Warren Aspinall mentioned on Radio Sussex that Dan Ashworth was at Everton with Tony Bloom.
I realise he's still employed by the club and would normally be at the games anyway, but it's encouraging that he was in attendance rather than not being there.

He's a part of what happened today and our 8th place. Sitting next to one of the best chairman anybody could want, looking at some of those he helped recruit win for the first time at Goodison.

And we're still a way from the finished article.

Does he really want to gamble it all, uproot his family, just for a big sack of dirty cash. All nice and well to be the new play thing of Bin Salman and his flavour of the month, but in so many ways this could end badly.

They will bypass him at will imho, parachute in players etc. This hasn't been bought by Saudia merely to improve a NE football club, it is sports washing and trying to add prestige to the country/regime and Prince. For sure, they will try and get names that add kudos. If they buy Inter you can see another DOF there and player swaps etc.

Big difference in a fan speding his money at a personal loss to build the club he loves, to a dodgy Prince trying to find any club that would take his money to add prestige to himself and his country.

How long will it truly last, how independent can he truly be?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
He's a part of what happened today and our 8th place. Sitting next to one of the best chairman anybody could want, looking at some of those he helped recruit win for the first time at Goodison.

And we're still a way from the finished article.

Does he really want to gamble it all, uproot his family, just for a big sack of dirty cash. All nice and well to be the new play thing of Bin Salman and his flavour of the month, but in so many ways this could end badly.

They will bypass him at will imho, parachute in players etc. This hasn't been bought by Saudia merely to improve a NE football club, it is sports washing and trying to add prestige to the country/regime and Prince. For sure, they will try and get names that add kudos. If they buy Inter you can see another DOF there and player swaps etc.

Big difference in a fan speding his money at a personal loss to build the club he loves, to a dodgy Prince trying to find any club that would take his money to add prestige to himself and his country.

How long will it truly last, how independent can he truly be?

But naturally you're thinking as a fan.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I doubt you'd say no if another company came to you and offered you to triple your wages with them, even if you really like where you live now.

I love my job and the people I work, but if a geordie company headhunted me and offered me 3 times my annual wage, not only would I jump of the chance to set my family up for life but I'd feel valued and wanted too. Plus my wife would be well happy.

I've moved around the country all my adult life, a bit like people in football do. It's no big deal.

But like you I hope he stays!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't know what you do for a living, but I doubt you'd say no if another company came to you and offered you to triple your wages with them, even if you really like where you live now.

I love my job and the people I work, but if a geordie company headhunted me and offered me 3 times my annual wage, not only would I jump of the chance to set my family up for life but I'd feel valued and wanted too. Plus my wife would be well happy.

I've moved around the country all my adult life, a bit like people in football do. It's no big deal.

That would be very tempting, unless the company I was going to was involved in the killing of innocent people. For example I'd find it hard to accept a job at a Tobacco or Oil company, given what the do and how they do it; and they're nowhere near as bad as the Saudi royal family.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Hope TB provides enough incentives to successfully offset NU’ s money. If DA stays it will say a lot. If DA goes it will also say a lot but the club seems so adaptable you feel it will it will just move forward regardless.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Concerning that Newcastle have not appointed any of their other possible options who are free and able to make an immediate start, looks like ashworth is their top choice and there willing to wait till the end of the January window

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Concerning that Newcastle have not appointed any of their other possible options who are free and able to make an immediate start, looks like ashworth is their top choice and there willing to wait till the end of the January window

Who are the other candidates?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I would hazard a guess that DA is already comfortable and set up for life. I would suggest the reason TB employed him is that he knows that the project is more important than the reward. If you're already set for life the project is even more important. For most of us mere mortals, get a 3x pay rise is important.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to today’s Argus preliminary talks have started but it could “drag on” with no further developments as yet. Ashworth “lining up” his ducks?

Looks like he’ll be going imo

I wonder if TB has given him a time frame to make a decision

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
According to today’s Argus preliminary talks have started but it could “drag on” with no further developments as yet. Ashworth “lining up” his ducks?

Looks like he’ll be going imo

I wonder if TB has given him a time frame to make a decision

The flip side is we don't know how Ashworth is employed right? Is he on a contract? So well within his rights to look at options for the end of his current contract (End of the season?)

Do Newcastle even have a proper CEO yet?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It strikes me as odd that it is dragging on.

Newcastle either want him or they don't. He is either their first choice or he isn't.

I don't believe Ashworth is dithering over a decision. It is cut and dried. Either take the money and work for the despicable regime or say thanks but no thanks.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It strikes me as odd that it is dragging on.

Newcastle either want him or they don't. He is either their first choice or he isn't.

I don't believe Ashworth is dithering over a decision. It is cut and dried. Either take the money and work for the despicable regime or say thanks but no thanks.

I suspect we would prefer to keep him and are making counter offers.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A few lines in the article about signing the polish lad this morning are from Ashworth talking about how much he looks forward to working with him in the future. I guess he has to say that but maybe if he’s leaving for Newcastle very soon we wouldn’t use him as an interview source.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A few lines in the article about signing the polish lad this morning are from Ashworth talking about how much he looks forward to working with him in the future. I guess he has to say that but maybe if he’s leaving for Newcastle very soon we wouldn’t use him as an interview source.

I was thinking the same as I read the article, maybe he is staying :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Same man who said his job was to keep the manager here for as long as possible a few months before we fired CH :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here