Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Proponderance of Evidence I used means that there is s more evidence than not that he may want to speak to them

I'm finding this thread very hard to follow. Preponderance of Evidence normally means a body of circumstantial 'evidence'. In law, if it is necessary to make a binary decision and there is no proof (proof being unequivocal), then circumstantial evidence may be woven into a narrative to make a case.

I think what you mean here is not what you stated (which is effectively no morethan no smoke without fire) but an accumulation of genuine proof. And I would agree with you.

Johnson is a proven liar from way back, and more recently he continues to make claims that are quickly shown to have been false. There is no 'circumstantial' about it, and the careful weighing of evidence is unneccessary. The fact there is so much of it, and people seem to disregard it, is the baffling thing. People can't even claim 'whatabout Corbyn' any more :shrug:

I think the press are interesting. Johnson was asked a tough question yesterday and did his usual subject changing, ending in a patriotic rallying call with statements of the obvious with which nobody could disagree. Yet the questioner did not then say 'But PM, you did not answer my question and instead went off on one about how great it is that so many people are getting vaccinated. I asked you about the rule breaking at your party during lockdown when ordinary people were banned from attending the funeral of their own parent; your cold-hearted hypocrisy, and your continued lies about it.'. They keep letting him off the hook. Are they waiting for the right moment? If so, who will be Brutus, I wonder?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm finding this thread very hard to follow. Preponderance of Evidence normally means a body of circumstantial 'evidence'. In law, if it is necessary to make a binary decision and there is no proof (proof being unequivocal), then circumstantial evidence may be woven into a narrative to make a case.

I think what you mean here is not what you stated (which is effectively no morethan no smoke without fire) but an accumulation of genuine proof. And I would agree with you.

Johnson is a proven liar from way back, and more recently he continues to make claims that are quickly shown to have been false. There is no 'circumstantial' about it, and the careful weighing of evidence is unneccessary. The fact there is so much of it, and people seem to disregard it, is the baffling thing. People can't even claim 'whatabout Corbyn' any more :shrug:

I think the press are interesting. Johnson was asked a tough question yesterday and did his usual subject changing, ending in a patriotic rallying call with statements of the obvious with which nobody could disagree. Yet the questioner did not then say 'But PM, you did not answer my question and instead went off on one about how great it is that so many people are getting vaccinated. I asked you about the rule breaking at your party during lockdown when ordinary people were banned from attending the funeral of their own parent; your cold-hearted hypocrisy, and your continued lies about it.'. They keep letting him off the hook. Are they waiting for the right moment? If so, who will be Brutus, I wonder?

You are right about the definition ''body of evidence'' - but when reviewing a body of evidence much like on a set of scales to see which side of the scales it ''weights'' on to establish which is greater - '' Proponderance'' meaning ''the greater quantity''

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You are right about the definition ''body of evidence'' - but when reviewing a body of evidence much like on a set of scales to see which side of the scales it ''weights'' on to establish which is greater - '' Proponderance'' meaning ''the greater quantity''

To be pedantic:

Preponderance means 'greater in number or quantity'.

Proponderance means 'in favour of pondering', a Boris-like attribute.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be pedantic:

Preponderance means 'greater in number or quantity'.

Proponderance means 'in favour of pondering', a Boris-like attribute.

I am using the terminology in a legal term from my Legal Training ( from memory as it was many years ago and I am sure they are so old that they are obsolete, given my age and when I studied ) - But the terminology was taught to me back then as being '' a weighing up of the evidence ''

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
If he goes to those Arab c*nts then he's an idiot and clearly just wants their dirty money.

I really hope this isn't the case though.

Me too, Racoon. At present DA works for a club which I believe is ethical, inclusive, progressive, and seeks always to do the right thing. It's a club of which we can all be proud. To go to Newcastle under it's present ownership and with it's questionable revenue streams would require a massive resetting of his moral compass. I hope he makes the right decision and rejects the approach from them, however much cash they offer. To do so would send a message to the Saudis that there are many people in football who dislike their involvement with an English club, and who place common decency and personal integrity above financial gain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You'll never take me alive, copper!

(Oh, alright. I'll come quietly....)

:wink:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
TalkSport saying we've given permission for Newcastle to speak to him

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TalkSport saying we've given permission for Newcastle to speak to him

Argus said this yesterday, I guess we have learnt from the Colin Calderwood defection, if someone wants to go why stop them?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Me too, Racoon. At present DA works for a club which I believe is ethical, inclusive, progressive, and seeks always to do the right thing. It's a club of which we can all be proud. To go to Newcastle under it's present ownership and with it's questionable revenue streams would require a massive resetting of his moral compass. I hope he makes the right decision and rejects the approach from them, however much cash they offer. To do so would send a message to the Saudis that there are many people in football who dislike their involvement with an English club, and who place common decency and personal integrity above financial gain.

We'll no doubt be refusing any compensation package for his contract if he does go then I would assume. ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
#VeryWorried

He'll be taking the crown jewels, the player database that's given us a conveyor belt of EPL quality goal scorers.

Genuine :lolol:

Strikers is his Achilles Heel, let’s hope it doesn’t improve WHEN he goes to Newcastle :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
#VeryWorried

He'll be taking the crown jewels, the player database that's given us a conveyor belt of EPL quality goal scorers.

You’d hope a businessman with Tony’s experience has intellectual property rights clauses in contracts and controls in place to stop leakage……..doesn’t prevent anything going but makes it more difficult.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You’d hope a businessman with Tony’s experience has intellectual property rights clauses in contracts and controls in place to stop leakage……..doesn’t prevent anything going but makes it more difficult.

I've got a feeling [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] was being a tad sarcastic...:D:p

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
#VeryWorried

I always thought that Howe’s Bournemouth were reliant on having a good number of natural goal scorers across his teams. They scored so many different goals in huge numbers. It seemed like so many players in that squad could shoot well (many from distant). The ball always seemed to end up in the net.

Newcastle have been trying to copy Bournemouth’s set-up for years by signing their ex-players. They have Smug and Ashworth is the final piece in the jigsaw.
His ability to scout natural goal scorers in all positions and sign them for his host club is unique.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Players, managers staff all come and go the only one consistent in any football club is the supporters. Unfortunately our club seem to be forgetting this at present. The recent history lesson by Potter & co was nothing but condescending, those old enough know what the fans of this club did in the dark days none of them would be here now earning a fortune if it wasn’t for the supporters of this club.

Can't argue with that, Justice.....sadly it's all largely ancient history but those of us who were there have to keep it alive with the younger fans. All 3 of my kids were brought up on it and know exactly what went on, who were the villains, and more importantly, who were the heroes. Many of those heroes are sadly no longer here. God bless each and every one of them.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he's done an excellent job in developing the squad and ensuring a progression path into the first team for the younger players. I don't think he's irreplaceable though and if he wants to take the opportunity in Newcastle then good luck to the man. I've no doubt we know someone else to step into the role and one thing I will say in favour of the current manager is that he's not afraid to use the younger players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here