Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They'll start cherry picking our players this summer I am afraid to say.

Fits in with our plan then. Sell one or two players (preferably just the one) for big money every summer and replace with the succession plan that Ashworth (among others) has put in place.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With any luck this will work out as well as Colin Calderwood’s departure to Villa

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The gardening leave period will allow Tony to get our senior players onto new contracts before Ashworth returns with a shopping list.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who's organising the banner for Newcastle away?

Hopefully not the same person who organised the banner for Newcastle at home :D

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
If Newcastle don't get relegated this season it is more likely they will poach Graham Potter for next season rather than our players.

If they do want any of our players, suspect the only ones they will be interested in will be Bissouma, Lamptey and Cucerrella.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Get what youre saying, and I'd feel the same, if comparing like for like, but this isnt.

No idea what your profession is, but what you double your money, if the job was at the BNP headquarters, or working for a mafia type businessman linked to murders?

that is the difference.

The true beneficial owner of NUFC and the silent majority partner is Mohamed Bin Salman.

I'm in Cyber Security and see your point.

I still think a lot of people would see past it. In fact, Dan has.

It's always easy to say one thing when it's not directly effecting you.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right either way. We all have a different moral compass.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Good riddance to him; zero integrity and I hope he enjoys his enormous salary; blood money from the most disgusting regime on the planet (and that is an amazing achievement).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Get what youre saying, and I'd feel the same, if comparing like for like, but this isnt.

No idea what your profession is, but would you double your money, if the job was at the BNP headquarters, or working for a mafia type businessman linked to murders?

that is the difference.

The true beneficial owner of NUFC and the silent majority partner is Mohamed Bin Salman.

Yes , Well said , a person that turns a blind eye to his employers misdeeds or worse , is simple money grabbing , or is it "money-grubbing "?
ive never been sure of that one !

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ashworth seems to have done a very good job for us and, putting the human rights concerns aside, as he must have done, I can see why Newcastle would be an attractive job to him. He has been involved in developing all aspects here, but there is obviously a ceiling. We are not and will not be in a position to compete with the likes of Man City on a level playing field. Newcastle will be, and they give him the opportunity to build something, pretty much from scratch, that aspires to be the absolute best. Its a very tempting opportunity for anyone with ambition. I'm sure that the money won't hurt either.

The interview he gave to BT Sport a couple of years ago (below) gives me the confidence that he is not irreplaceable. He makes it clear that it is Tony Bloom that has dictated what he wants the club to be, that Tony and the board were already interested in Potter before Ashworth arrived, that he came to work for them because they are good people to work for. This will still be the case for the next batch of candidates for the job. I'd be interested to know who it is that has done the hard graft in South America. We seem to have identified it as an untapped market and don't seem to have the same level of competition from English clubs when recruiting in that market. I would be concerned if Ashworth is in a position to develop something similar at Newcastle. We have a start on them, but their wealth would soon balance that out and may inflate the market. However, I am sure that, should that occur, Tony will be positioning himself to take advantage of the next place that is not being exploited by the big boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7ElEXFKiE

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If Newcastle don't get relegated this season it is more likely they will poach Graham Potter for next season rather than our players.

If they do want any of our players, suspect the only ones they will be interested in will be Bissouma, Lamptey and Cucerrella.
If that happened the Potter fan boys would need two weeks of mourning.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Good riddance to him; zero integrity and I hope he enjoys his enormous salary; blood money from the most disgusting regime on the planet (and that is an amazing achievement).

Harsh but I also think fair. All these people saying “yes, but if you could double your money…” I think reflects badly on their own integrity. I choose not to work for certain businesses and have done so throughout my career. I also choose not to invest or have shares in certain businesses. Life isn’t all about money you know!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Disappointing but they will just chuck money at everything.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Ashworth seems to have done a very good job for us and, putting the human rights concerns aside, as he must have done, I can see why Newcastle would be an attractive job to him. He has been involved in developing all aspects here, but there is obviously a ceiling. We are not and will not be in a position to compete with the likes of Man City on a level playing field. Newcastle will be, and they give him the opportunity to build something, pretty much from scratch, that aspires to be the absolute best. Its a very tempting opportunity for anyone with ambition. I'm sure that the money won't hurt either.

The interview he gave to BT Sport a couple of years ago (below) gives me the confidence that he is not irreplaceable. He makes it clear that it is Tony Bloom that has dictated what he wants the club to be, that Tony and the board were already interested in Potter before Ashworth arrived, that he came to work for them because they are good people to work for. This will still be the case for the next batch of candidates for the job. I'd be interested to know who it is that has done the hard graft in South America. We seem to have identified it as an untapped market and don't seem to have the same level of competition from English clubs when recruiting in that market. I would be concerned if Ashworth is in a position to develop something similar at Newcastle. We have a start on them, but their wealth would soon balance that out and may inflate the market. However, I am sure that, should that occur, Tony will be positioning himself to take advantage of the next place that is not being exploited by the big boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7ElEXFKiE

I wouldn't be suprised if this is a lawyer; having sometimes multiple owners of a player puts many from Europe off due to contractual complexity.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm disappointed that he is going, but it's not the end of the world.

Firstly he is now on gardening leave, so won't be anywhere near the Albion set-up unless we need him to be.
Secondly, he will not be able to go to Newcastle until the gardening leave is over, which could well be some time.
Thirdly, IF he were to come in for our players, he will pay the going rate for them - maybe even an inflated rate. He's not going to get mate's rates!!!
Fourthly, I also wonder if there would be things in his contract which would exclude the possibility of coming back for players if he were to move on.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Harsh but I also think fair. All these people saying “yes, but if you could double your money…” I think reflects badly on their own integrity. I choose not to work for certain businesses and have done so throughout my career. I also choose not to invest or have shares in certain businesses. Life isn’t all about money you know!

I agree and I have turned down or not applied to various high paid roles for similar reasons. DA is obviously a talented individual, but with no integrity. Therefore, this is NOT bad news. I have every faith in our succession planning

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm disappointed that he is going, but it's not the end of the world.

Firstly he is now on gardening leave, so won't be anywhere near the Albion set-up unless we need him to be.
Secondly, he will not be able to go to Newcastle until the gardening leave is over, which could well be some time.
Thirdly, IF he were to come in for our players, he will pay the going rate for them - maybe even an inflated rate. He's not going to get mate's rates!!!
Fourthly, I also wonder if there would be things in his contract which would exclude the possibility of coming back for players if he were to move on.

Fourth bit is unenforceable - it would just be someone else doing it (Head of Recruitment for example), and would also risk a restraint of trade case on the part of the player

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I hope it's not Marc Overmars :eek:
Overmars would be an incredible appointment ... He's even more highly rated than ashworth.

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure 90% of this board have sent women other than their woman inappropriate texts !!!

I think he deserves a second chance. As long as it's with us :)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here