Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Its a long term plan".

Till someone waves a bunch of notes caked in blood in front of your face.

I detest the Saudis as much as anyone (and am a big supporter of Israel) but I don't think that is a fair take.

I can understand people campaigining vigorously to change the rules of football governance to keep people like this out of football. Any such changes could have some collateral, of course, with the owners of ManU, Chelsea, Leicester, ManCity and others all being required to disinvest and bugger off. However, that's all fine.

But where are the protests? Only Palace had a weedy banner up? I don't see the league managers' association, the players' union, the Labour party, the Liberals, the Greens and the traditional protesters, veterans of the poll tax riots, etc, all marching up and down Barrack Road and Strawberry Place demanding that the Saudis go, and go now.

"Notes caked in blood" just made me laugh. Yes I know what the Saudis have done, but (all the above, and more).

Calling Thatcher 'Milk Snatcher' certainly cheered me up when I was steeped in loathing for the old witch, but it was hubris, and it didn't hurry up her demise. Changing all this (like removing the tories) will require people being much smarter. Changing the rules of club ownership is necessary. But....I don't see any appetite for change :down:.

I personally wouldn't have even spoken to the Saudis if offered a job at Newcastle, but I'm peculiar so my imperatives are irrelevant. I just can't see how accepting a legal job when offered by a legal organization warrants 'blood money' accusations, though. I would imagine supporters of other clubs, browsing NSC would be laughing at us, with the laughter getting louder as the outrage becomes increasingly flamboyant.

Anyway, they may still go down then we can all laugh at them. . . for one season.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Does extended period of gardening leave mean till next season?

You would imagine, at the very least, an employee of Ashworth's stature would have a three-month notice period. That would take us up to 2 weeks before the end of the season.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Come on.. Who wouldn't want a massive pay rise?

It's easy to say you wouldn't take the money when it's not offered, but if the cheque* is in your hand, you would take it.

For the club, losing Dan is not a major problem. Lose Bloom, and it's game over.

*I know cheques are rarely used, but you know what I mean.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's easy to say you wouldn't take the money when it's not offered, but if the cheque* is in your hand, you would take it.

Easy to say that I would take it, but knowing my soul, I know I wouldn't.

I can live without their riches.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Paradoxically I agree with this as well as not blaming anyone for doing so..... I suppose it entirely depends on the weight one puts on legally securing your family for life with a stroke of the pen set against joining the moral vacuum that is behind Saudi FC.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I detest the Saudis as much as anyone (and am a big supporter of Israel) but I don't think that is a fair take.

I can understand people campaigining vigorously to change the rules of football governance to keep people like this out of football. Any such changes could have some collateral, of course, with the owners of ManU, Chelsea, Leicester, ManCity and others all being required to disinvest and bugger off. However, that's all fine.

But where are the protests? Only Palace had a weedy banner up? I don't see the league managers' association, the players' union, the Labour party, the Liberals, the Greens and the traditional protesters, veterans of the poll tax riots, etc, all marching up and down Barrack Road and Strawberry Place demanding that the Saudis go, and go now.

"Notes caked in blood" just made me laugh. Yes I know what the Saudis have done, but (all the above, and more).

Calling Thatcher 'Milk Snatcher' certainly cheered me up when I was steeped in loathing for the old witch, but it was hubris, and it didn't hurry up her demise. Changing all this (like removing the tories) will require people being much smarter. Changing the rules of club ownership is necessary. But....I don't see any appetite for change :down:.

I personally wouldn't have even spoken to the Saudis if offered a job at Newcastle, but I'm peculiar so my imperatives are irrelevant. I just can't see how accepting a legal job when offered by a legal organization warrants 'blood money' accusations, though. I would imagine supporters of other clubs, browsing NSC would be laughing at us, with the laughter getting louder as the outrage becomes increasingly flamboyant.

Anyway, they may still go down then we can all laugh at them. . . for one season.

Sorry but this is nonsense.

Firstly, we've repeatedly been told by memos and speeches from PB and posts on here when it's not going so well that it's a long term plan. Well, it seems that GP, Paul Barber and Tony still believe in it but Ashworth was just using it as the next step on the career ladder. I imagine that TB places a lot on loyalty and will be put out by this, The club statement, as pointed out to me by another regular on here, was a little terse to say the least.

Secondly it is up to the Premier League to get their house in order. They have a fit and proper persons test. A nation state (especially one that treats women as second class, chops hands off and breeds terrorists) should not meet that definition.

Thirdly fans will still protest if something directly affects them, whether that's poor ownership (ironically Ashley finally being driven out of Newcastle) or the speed with which the ESL was crushed under fan revolt. But to protest one ownership would have quite a few Premier League clubs' fans indulging in mass hypocrisy because, largely, of my point two.

We are one of the only ones with decent, local, fan led leadership and it seems Ashworth prefers big money and keeping Kieran Trippier in sports cars to that.

Good riddance.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I have to say, I am impressed with Newcastle.

How many Premier League and thrown hundreds millions of pounds around on expensive players? Loads of them. Whilst some clubs have been successful, it sometimes seems that success is only there another (even richer) donor comes to another club. Look at Man United - they have spend millions upon millions since Fergie left, without really winning much at all.

Newcastle have seen that spending more than the others is not, in itself, a guarantee of success. By getting somebody in to oversee the footballing side of things from top-to-bottom, Newcastle have shown a serious statement of long term intent.

F*** off back to your own boards Amanda!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The worst thing about this is if we have any release clause amounts for any of our players they will go. The Burn transfer made me wonder.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Fair play to you then sticking to your moral compass.

A lot say they wouldn't, but if the money is actually offered, I think a lot would take it.

I'm always looking to earn more money and like to think I am loyal. If another company offered to double my wages, I would be off, unless my current company could match the offer.

Loyalty in a work place only gets you so far I have learnt, and a chance to make my family's life comfortable, would out weigh my loyalty.

Loyalty to my family comes first.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They'll start cherry picking our players this summer I am afraid to say.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

This is the one statement I find behind baffling

Why would Ashworth going there mean the players will ?

Firstly, I doubt any of our players are ‘under the radar’ enough for them to need Ashworth to identify them as decent potential targets.

Secondly, I’d be surprised if any of the players have any dealings with Ashworth on a daily or even weekly basis so he isn’t exactly a “pull” for them to follow him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tony and Paul's statements had undertones of 'thanks but now feck off you mercenary'. The extended gardening leave clause showed that they knew it was always a possibility.

Don't think they will need the phone box for his leaving do.

Doubt it's extended - they're simply forcing him to 'work' out his notice period - at his level of seniority quite likely to be at least 3 if not 6 months. Essentially Tony would rather pay him to sit at home for that period rather than save the few months salary and let him properly start on his new job.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry but this is nonsense.

Firstly, we've repeatedly been told by memos and speeches from PB and posts on here when it's not going so well that it's a long term plan. Well, it seems that GP, Paul Barber and Tony still believe in it but Ashworth was just using it as the next step on the career ladder. I imagine that TB places a lot on loyalty and will be put out by this, The club statement, as pointed out to me by another regular on here, was a little terse to say the least.

Secondly it is up to the Premier League to get their house in order. They have a fit and proper persons test. A nation state (especially one that treats women as second class, chops hands off and breeds terrorists) should not meet that definition.

Thirdly fans will still protest if something directly affects them, whether that's poor ownership (ironically Ashley finally being driven out of Newcastle) or the speed with which the ESL was crushed under fan revolt. But to protest one ownership would have quite a few Premier League clubs' fans indulging in mass hypocrisy because, largely, of my point two.

We are one of the only ones with decent, local, fan led leadership and it seems Ashworth prefers big money and keeping Kieran Trippier in sports cars to that.

Good riddance.

This.

I also thought it was interesting that TB felt the need to make a comment. The implication behind this and what he said was significant.

He is seriously pissed off as reflected also by the gardening leave Ashworth is on.

God I hope they get relegated......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This.

I also thought it was interesting that TB felt the need to make a comment. The implication behind this and what he said was significant.

He is seriously pissed off as reflected also by the gardening leave Ashworth is on.

God I hope they get relegated......

Agreed.....Tony has reluctantly lost a key member of his senior team and he's understandably pissed off, and holding him to his notice period is clear evidence of that, otherwise he'd simply let him go now and save several months salary.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fair play to you then sticking to your moral compass.

A lot say they wouldn't, but if the money is actually offered, I think a lot would take it.

I'm always looking to earn more money and like to think I am loyal. If another company offered to double my wages, I would be off, unless my current company could match the offer.

Loyalty in a work place only gets you so far I have learnt, and a chance to make my family's life comfortable, would out weigh my loyalty.

Loyalty to my family comes first.

Get what youre saying, and I'd feel the same, if comparing like for like, but this isnt.

No idea what your profession is, but would you double your money, if the job was at the BNP headquarters, or working for a mafia type businessman linked to murders?

that is the difference.

The true beneficial owner of NUFC and the silent majority partner is Mohamed Bin Salman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here