Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dagenham aggrieved by 'goal' that wasn't

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not a goal as the illusion of the rippled net is created by Painter the ball hit the bar - clever of Savage to do that though

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just watched it again on SSN and have played it back. I still think it hit the net. Inconclusive but It doesn't appear to have it the bar.

Should have gone to specsavers big nuts! Watch it on replay and in slo-mo, it definitely, DEFINITELY hits the bar. However, at the same time, the net is pulled out of shape, and the bar pulled lower, by Painter falling into the net.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Why so much confusion!? Just like every other "bar hit", it hit the bar and flew out? Only a tennis racket would produce a strong enough defence to make the ball react in the way it did.

A goal? :lolol: :facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And how can a solid bar be pulled down by an attatched net? No chance.

Have you never seen a goalkeeper jump up and touch the cross bar before a match and seen it wobble? Or even tipping a shot/cross over the bar or grabbing the bar as if to check where it is when a ball is going over and seen it shake? It's a long poll of lightweightish material that is held at each end, it isn't usually solid and unbendable

Is my screen cap not showing up for people? I thought it showed conclusively that the ball hit the crossbar. (post 54 in this thread)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes it looks odd, but after seeing replays, how can anyone really believe that hit the net and came flying back out? We all like to take the piss out of the officials, but fortunately they seem to have a much better grip on physics than the bright sparks here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Goal? Are you blind (or joking)? It clearly hits the bar. And do you really think Savage wouldn't have been up screaming at the ref and linesman, instead of lying on the floor thinking 'oh shit, they're going to stick this on howler of the week'?

I think you missed his follow up post:

Weird. Watched it AGAIN, and changed my mind.

Bar.

No Goal. :jester:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was there in the stand behind the goal but in one of the front rows towards to opposite side of the pitch from the TV cameras, it definitely hit the bar and not the net.

Looking at the tv coverage you can see why their manager might think it went in but in slow motion you can clearly see it hit the front of the bar and came back out and never even got close to crossing the line. I would also add that there is no way the ball could have hit the net at the top of the goal and bounce back out as it did, and it never got anyway near the back of the goal to hit the net there and come back out, so the only logical place it could have hit and rebounded as it did was the bar.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Should have gone to specsavers big nuts! Watch it on replay and in slo-mo, it definitely, DEFINITELY hits the bar. However, at the same time, the net is pulled out of shape, and the bar pulled lower, by Painter falling into the net.

I watched it again on the Sky Sports website and it clearly hits the bar. Fair enough!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Anyone that thinks it hits a net and makes a sound + pings the ball out like that is an utter tool.

Watched the replay and its obvious its the bar

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Have you never seen a goalkeeper jump up and touch the cross bar before a match and seen it wobble? Or even tipping a shot/cross over the bar or grabbing the bar as if to check where it is when a ball is going over and seen it shake? It's a long poll of lightweightish material that is held at each end, it isn't usually solid and unbendable

Is my screen cap not showing up for people? I thought it showed conclusively that the ball hit the crossbar. (post 54 in this thread)

Yes of course but that is direct contact with the bar, not the net. I don't believe that flying into the BACK of the net affects the bar whatsoever. Especially as the video shows that the net actually pulls the bar toward the away fans (if at all) and there is hardly any downward force. If someone fell on top of the net that's a different matter :p

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The sound I heard was the sound of a footie ball hitting a crossbar as it rebounded away.

Anyway, bar or net, that excellent ref type chap did not give it and in the years to come Daggers 0 - 1 Albion is all that will remain in the record books of the game.

Savage's reaction show's exactly what he thought and I would say he was perfectly placed to analyse what was a hilarious f*ck up it was.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes of course but that is direct contact with the bar, not the net. I don't believe that flying into the BACK of the net affects the bar whatsoever. Especially as the video shows that the net actually pulls the bar toward the away fans (if at all) and there is hardly any downward force. If someone fell on top of the net that's a different matter :p

But the net should be securely attached, or else it could come loose allowing for the ball to slip through. It's why the linesmen check the nets before the game.
The way painter fell into the net would have pulled back initially and then down as he fell to the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here