Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dagenham aggrieved by 'goal' that wasn't

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Can anyone at the game back this up?

Argus:

Dagenham boss John Still claimed Bas Savage put the ball into the net against his old club last night.

Daggers later said that television replays suggested the ball hit the net and bounced out.

'All our boys thought it was a goal for Bas, they say it went in and came out' said Still

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I was standing on the terracing almost parallel to the goal line, and no, the ball did not cross the line.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
From the terrace I would say no, however watching SSN this morning the ball seems to hit the back of the net and then come back out. The net was possibly too tight which meant rather than the ball nestling in it, the ball came straight back out, similar to a ball hitting the bar.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From the terrace I would say no, however watching SSN this morning the ball seems to hit the back of the net and then come back out. The net was possibly too tight which meant rather than the ball nestling in it, the ball came straight back out, similar to a ball hitting the bar.

I've taped it, and watched it back again and again, and I'm CERTAIN this is the case. It looks like Painter carries on into the net after clearing the first one, and his weight streches the net really tight.

Incredible stuff.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Unless the net was hanging down vertically how could it have hit it and come out again? Or is Baz is that good a player that he put reverse spin on the ball???

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I was certain at the time it had hit the net and bounced out. Not seen it since though...

Bomber_1901

Jun 9, 2010
AT THE FRONT OF THE QUEUE

Watched it live and on slow mo afterwards, the ball definately hits the bar, 100% did not go in.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Just seen a slo-mo on SSN definitely hit the bar. No goal.

Is the correct answer. First viewing it looked like it hit the net. Slow motion, it clearly hits the bar. The net bulging is a combination of painter falling into it and the power of the ball smashing the bar.

If a ball hit a net, no matter HOW taut the net is strung - it will be cushioned enough to show a goal has been scored.

It would have to be the equivalent of a huge tightly-strung tennis racket to even resemble slightly hitting a solid object.

Warnock had those goals not given for palace :laugh: , and I can see how a solid strut could appear to have the effect of hitting the post, but no way a net having that effect under any circumstances.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Can anyone at the game back this up?

Argus:

Dagenham boss John Still claimed Bas Savage put the ball into the net against his old club last night.

Daggers later said that television replays suggested the ball hit the net and bounced out.

'All our boys thought it was a goal for Bas, they say it went in and came out' said Still

They (fans/players) didn't seem v bothered at the time. Probably because, the way we were playing, they thought they'd get loads more chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here