Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That would be a nice little coup for Orica to nab the Yates twins. If they land them they'll have put together a talented group of young riders for the seasons to come.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
That would be a nice little coup for Orica to nab the Yates twins. If they land them they'll have put together a talented group of young riders for the seasons to come.

Backs up their desire to build for GC honours.

It's a smart move for the brothers. English speaking team so no french/Spanish/Italian politics and won't get stifled by sky and their rigid script.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Backs up their desire to build for GC honours.

It's a smart move for the brothers. English speaking team so no french/Spanish/Italian politics and won't get stifled by sky and their rigid script.

Agree with both of the above.

Anyone heard any rumours on the future of Sam Bennett? I see he was offered a 'trainee' contract with FDJ in 2010 (presumably meaning rider as stagiaire?) but couldn't take it up due to a knee injury. Could possibly be a few World Tour teams interested in him now.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Especially after Cav went from so far out. Viviani covered the last 400m about a second faster than Cavendish, who had time to look for him before squeezing him into the gutter. Not particularly good sportsmanship and he's been relegated for less, but that's racing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Currently sat on the kerb, on Westminster Bridge eating a sandwich!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr crawled on hands and knees through the throng to get to the Sky bus.
He went AWOL for too long, only to appear half an hour later inside the security cordon, leaning against their bus :facepalm:

As the riders came out he had to walk up behind them to get the autographs. :lol:

Now at the 100m sign.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remembered 5mins before leaving for London this morning.
I assume I came fourth.

Not knowing if we get unlimited through the week I just threw in some names that could do well next week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After waiting too long for him to come back, here's where Jnr Stat was :lol: :-

Attachments

• ToB 2013 046.jpg
    ToB 2013 046.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 44

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The miserable git could have at least smiled for the fans.
He didn't know I was there, t'was absolute bedlam.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Nice to see 2 National Champions jerseys cross the line with their arms aloft in the capital city. Sadly I only saw the men's race on tv from work, but was in town early for the women's brutal race - full gas from the off, attacks most laps but nothing getting more than 15 seconds and nothing stuck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The roar Cav got all the way down to the line was equivalent to yesterdays goals.

It was impossible for him to loss.

One classic bit of Englishness.
We're watching the big screen.
At the 180 degree turn, a rider takes it too sharp, got squeezed out and had to cut through the very tip of the bend.

Everyone watching booed :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good to see fantasy fatigue is really kicking in - just 4 of us remembered to pick a world's ttt team!

Even 1066 forgot!

This is the first I'm hearing of it. The Worlds have crept up on me, what with the Vuelta & ToB overlapping an' all. I thought perhaps someone on here would have given the rest of us the heads up on picking a team, but hey ho.

Anyway, just back from a cracking day in London. Kids got loads of autographs around the team buses on Westminster bridge. My personal favourite was the white camper van of Bardiani Valvole. As team leader I suppose, Pirazzi gets the front seat. Our eldest stuck her head in the window for an autograph, which Stefano gave before passing the autograph book to the back of the bus for the rest of the team to sign :) Other notables were Dan Martin and partcularly Kristian House, both of whom gave loads of time to the fans. Managed to get a nice photo of the kids with Kristian House too. At the Movistar bus Madrazo was loving the attention and gave a lot of time to everyone, even calling out Quintana at one point to come and join the fun. Quintana seemed very shy though and just popped out briefly for a few snaps with fans. Got quite a few of the UK Youth team autographs after the race too. Couldn't get near the OPQS and Sky buses as they were mobbed.

It was striking seeing the contrast between the World Tour team buses and the other teams. Like I said, Bardiani Valvole had the whole team in an old camper van, and many of the other teams just had team cars to change in.

Good to see Alex Dowsett give it a time trial lap off the front today, and nice to see Cav take the victory. Another cracking result for Sam Bennett too. All in all a great day out and another success for British Cycling in general.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice to see 2 National Champions jerseys cross the line with their arms aloft in the capital city. Sadly I only saw the men's race on tv from work, but was in town early for the women's brutal race - full gas from the off, attacks most laps but nothing getting more than 15 seconds and nothing stuck.

Any links to the results for the women's race please?, as I can't seem to find any anywhere. We arrived in London around midday and saw a few of the women riding around the streets cooling down afterwards but was too late to see any of the race.

Edit: Found the results after all: http://thetour.co.uk/tourofbritain/news/6068.php#.Uj9dQtIjK1c

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry about the Worlds.
I did notice the overlap in the week, but then instantly forgot and didn't think to flag it up.

Just before leaving today I thought I'd best check I had no non runners today, and in doing so remembered the Worlds.

It's just unbelievable the access we get towards first class sportsmen.
You know fell well any soccerballist would freak out in these guys shoes.

Attachments

• ToB 2013 011.jpg
    ToB 2013 011.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 41
  • ToB 2013 052.jpg
    ToB 2013 052.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 41
  • ToB 2013 004.jpg
    ToB 2013 004.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports