Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Mar 12, 2008
Etape review if anyone's interested...
I'll try and keep it brief, but it might just be the best thing i've ever done, so i have a tendency to waffle about it.

Firstly Annecy is a beautiful, stunning location. Our campsite was also perfectly positioned at the foot of the final climb, so a recce climb was on the agenda on day one. A ride round the lake on day 2 and another half climb of Semnoz before relaxing in front of le tour and putting our feet up all day on the Saturday.

Come race day I decided to start from the very last pen to ride with my brother despite being assigned an earlier pen (the starting times seemed very random as we all put the same information as to our abilities). This decision did not cost me though as the pens were let out with 7 minute intervals and congestion was no more than expected. However, the first climb was four abreast at best and often worse, but you could find a line and keep passing people.

Already the heat was evident and this was to be a massive factor later when on the 16km climb of Mont Revard, which was very exposed. I felt really good up that whole climb though and continued to pass the majority.

All the way we were cheered on by hundreds of villagers and i ticked off some of my tour experience wish-list, such as accordion players, a huge mountain horn, cow bells and an old frenchman pouring water down my back, Merci monsieur. The only one i lacked was someone in fancy dress running alongside me for a few metres. Maybe next time!

In the final town before the last climb I forged off on my own ready to face the big one. The support in Quintal as we rode through went up another few notches and was quite overwhelming.
On the final climb up Semnoz (12km @ 8.6%) it was a monumental test of mind over matter. I had one bottle full to drink from and another to regularly pour down my jersey. It was exceptionally hot and a constant struggle to keep my heart rate where I wanted it under 160bpm. The mountain was completely full with people hauling themselves up it, some walkers and some slumped in the kerb. I felt like I could have joined them at any point but I never walk so i followed the wheel of a man I now know only as Brendan and we were passed by only 2 people (whilst overtaking possibly a thousand) as we ascended in 1 hour and three minutes.
As the advertising hoardings and crowds approached at the top I managed to get out the saddle and wheel over to sprint (of sorts) alongside the barrier and over the line. An incredible feeling!

I finished in the top 36%, which I am very happy with for a first effort considering I had not even been to a proper mountain before let alone ridden one.
I will definitely be back and intend to climb many a Col in the coming years

and finally the stats:

Distance: 128km
Climbing: 3500 metres

Starting Riders: 11,475

My total time: 6h 36m (Rank: 4102)
Categorised climbing time: 3h 51m (Rank: 3115)
Water stops: 5

told you it would end up being a long post.

Wow, sounds fantastic! Well bloody done. To my shame, I had no idea of the scale of the Etape, what a huge event.

What sort of training did you do to replicate those sorts of climbs?

I've added this to my list of cycling challenges. When I'm on the bike I drink like a fish, I'd be worried about running out of water halfway up!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Wow, sounds fantastic! Well bloody done. To my shame, I had no idea of the scale of the Etape, what a huge event.

I've added this to my list of cycling challenges. When I'm on the bike I drink like a fish, I'd be worried about running out of water halfway up!

Fill up your jersey with bidons, like a true domestique. It would be fairer then too, you might start to approach the weight of one or two of the rest of us.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Brilliant stuff - well done man! Sounds like an awesome experience, and your training appears to have paid off well.

I would love to do this. I am highly jealous. My job means that it's just not possible, though.

Thanks.

And if you can ever somehow find the time to do it, I can't recommend it enough...

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006

Nothing to truly replicate the climbing unfortunately. I did repeats of the Beacon and the Bostal and with the latter often continued up and over to the A27 as the route back has longish sections of 5-8% rather than our usual tests of short, steep hills. Did a weekend in Exmoor and tackled Dunkery Beacon etc.

Other than that I tried to add as much climbing as possible to every ride. My regular weekend run became a route out Crowborough way always taking in Pillow Mounds and Kidd's Hill before coming back over the Beacon. Midweeks after work I tried to at least replicate the increased heart rate for long periods of mountain climbs by essentially time-trialing on a dyke, hurstpierpoint, Ditchling loop back into Brighton. After seeing my average speed rocket over this route it is quite a shock to see the stats when all you do is climb in the Etape!

One month before I did King of the Downs, which was a bit of a confidence booster, and whilst longer was still a thousand metres short of Etape climbing totals and again completely different style of hills. I went away to France with 2,500km and 32,000 metres in the legs and then it was all down to how I felt out there.

I can now say I much prefer the challenge of long mountain climbs than the more power based hills here. I just don't get the satisfaction from climbing the Beacon or Bostal unless I've set a personal best and I think I prefer the suffering of the mountains than that style of riding. (also has a lot to do with me probably never being able to top my 5:50 up the Bostal!)

You should definitely go for it next year. I carried 2 750ml bottles and, as I say, stopped 5 times to refill (sometimes just one empty bottle). I don't like stopping too much but it was too hot to stop any less for me. If you need more, there were 8 official stops, plus the odd fountain or I saw people just getting water brought out from the locals houses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fantastic stuff 'team geek'.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Nothing to truly replicate the climbing unfortunately. I did repeats of the Beacon and the Bostal and with the latter often continued up and over to the A27 as the route back has longish sections of 5-8% rather than our usual tests of short, steep hills. Did a weekend in Exmoor and tackled Dunkery Beacon etc.

Other than that I tried to add as much climbing as possible to every ride. My regular weekend run became a route out Crowborough way always taking in Pillow Mounds and Kidd's Hill before coming back over the Beacon. Midweeks after work I tried to at least replicate the increased heart rate for long periods of mountain climbs by essentially time-trialing on a dyke, hurstpierpoint, Ditchling loop back into Brighton. After seeing my average speed rocket over this route it is quite a shock to see the stats when all you do is climb in the Etape!

One month before I did King of the Downs, which was a bit of a confidence booster, and whilst longer was still a thousand metres short of Etape climbing totals and again completely different style of hills. I went away to France with 2,500km and 32,000 metres in the legs and then it was all down to how I felt out there.

I can now say I much prefer the challenge of long mountain climbs than the more power based hills here. I just don't get the satisfaction from climbing the Beacon or Bostal unless I've set a personal best and I think I prefer the suffering of the mountains than that style of riding. (also has a lot to do with me probably never being able to top my 5:50 up the Bostal!)

You should definitely go for it next year. I carried 2 750ml bottles and, as I say, stopped 5 times to refill (sometimes just one empty bottle). I don't like stopping too much but it was too hot to stop any less for me. If you need more, there were 8 official stops, plus the odd fountain or I saw people just getting water brought out from the locals houses.

I did King of the Downs last year - as you say (imply), the climbing was tough, tough, tough. But the hills you describe in l'etape sound much more my type - long and not crazily steep!

How can I swing this? It's on a Saturday, yes? I suppose I could fly out on a Friday evening...

Spreadbetting, we'll talk about this. Some of my other cycling mates are aiming for this next year.

Maninthe... you've inspired me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Etape review if anyone's interested...
I'll try and keep it brief, but it might just be the best thing i've ever done, so i have a tendency to waffle about it.

Firstly Annecy is a beautiful, stunning location. Our campsite was also perfectly positioned at the foot of the final climb, so a recce climb was on the agenda on day one. A ride round the lake on day 2 and another half climb of Semnoz before relaxing in front of le tour and putting our feet up all day on the Saturday.

Come race day I decided to start from the very last pen to ride with my brother despite being assigned an earlier pen (the starting times seemed very random as we all put the same information as to our abilities). This decision did not cost me though as the pens were let out with 7 minute intervals and congestion was no more than expected. However, the first climb was four abreast at best and often worse, but you could find a line and keep passing people.

Already the heat was evident and this was to be a massive factor later when on the 16km climb of Mont Revard, which was very exposed. I felt really good up that whole climb though and continued to pass the majority.

All the way we were cheered on by hundreds of villagers and i ticked off some of my tour experience wish-list, such as accordion players, a huge mountain horn, cow bells and an old frenchman pouring water down my back, Merci monsieur. The only one i lacked was someone in fancy dress running alongside me for a few metres. Maybe next time!

In the final town before the last climb I forged off on my own ready to face the big one. The support in Quintal as we rode through went up another few notches and was quite overwhelming.
On the final climb up Semnoz (12km @ 8.6%) it was a monumental test of mind over matter. I had one bottle full to drink from and another to regularly pour down my jersey. It was exceptionally hot and a constant struggle to keep my heart rate where I wanted it under 160bpm. The mountain was completely full with people hauling themselves up it, some walkers and some slumped in the kerb. I felt like I could have joined them at any point but I never walk so i followed the wheel of a man I now know only as Brendan and we were passed by only 2 people (whilst overtaking possibly a thousand) as we ascended in 1 hour and three minutes.
As the advertising hoardings and crowds approached at the top I managed to get out the saddle and wheel over to sprint (of sorts) alongside the barrier and over the line. An incredible feeling!

I finished in the top 36%, which I am very happy with for a first effort considering I had not even been to a proper mountain before let alone ridden one.
I will definitely be back and intend to climb many a Col in the coming years

and finally the stats:

Distance: 128km
Climbing: 3500 metres

Starting Riders: 11,475

My total time: 6h 36m (Rank: 4102)
Categorised climbing time: 3h 51m (Rank: 3115)
Water stops: 5

told you it would end up being a long post.

Thanks for the report back, superb stuff! Sounds brilliant.

Chapeau for the ride :clap2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I mention it quite a bit, but I always feel climbing to Whiteways, Arundel, would be a good training ground.
Of the 4 ascents

South and east must average 7,8,9 %.
West is sharper but with long, for us, drags.
North is pretty brutal.

The only drawback being, only the bottom of North and West closely connected.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey 1066, is that your nipper on 1066 points for the Tour?

Sure is. She's giving it large on the Tuft transfer and outscoring me today, but I only have to mention Rui Costa for her to go all quite again :lol: But then I realise where a couple of quid of my money went today and I go quite too :facepalm:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sure is. She's giving it large on the Tuft transfer and outscoring me today, but I only have to mention Rui Costa for her to go all quite again :lol: But then I realise where a couple of quid of my money went today and I go quite too :facepalm:

Ha. She's got your number!

I had Tuft too, and expected greater things from Castroviejo - looks like he was my Rui Costa.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I did King of the Downs last year - as you say (imply), the climbing was tough, tough, tough. But the hills you describe in l'etape sound much more my type - long and not crazily steep!

How can I swing this? It's on a Saturday, yes? I suppose I could fly out on a Friday evening...

Spreadbetting, we'll talk about this. Some of my other cycling mates are aiming for this next year.

The ride is on Sunday. I have heard about people who arrived on Saturday (and Friday night) and left on Sunday evening. It would mean missing out on some of the overall experience, but still worthwhile for the ride alone.
I suppose in hindsight this year would have been ideal due to the relative proximity to Geneva airport.

I feel more suited to the mountains too. There were ramps over 14%, which were tough with all those metres already in the legs, but the whole ride was so inspiring.

Do it...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The ride is on Sunday. I have heard about people who arrived on Saturday (and Friday night) and left on Sunday evening. It would mean missing out on some of the overall experience, but still worthwhile for the ride alone.
I suppose in hindsight this year would have been ideal due to the relative proximity to Geneva airport.

I feel more suited to the mountains too. There were ramps over 14%, which were tough with all those metres already in the legs, but the whole ride was so inspiring.

Do it...

Oh God. D'you know, I think I might. I may have to pull a sickie for the Monday, which'll mean I don't tell anyone...

I'm already making plans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ha. She's got your number!

I had Tuft too, and expected greater things from Castroviejo - looks like he was my Rui Costa.

Tuft was always going to be a popular pick due to price but I couldn't work him in myself at the expense of sprinters and the transfers hits it would have meant. Her face dropped last night when she announced she had "secret weapons" for today's time trial and I then proceeded to name all five of her TT'ers straight off :lol:

Competitive Dad? Where? :whistle:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I've had to take a points hit for tomorrow, but hopefully it'll pay off...

Mar 12, 2008

The Bostal in reverse is a good call. The gradient is reasonably constant. 5:50 up the Bostal is fantastic, my PB is 6.30 something so I've got a new challenge for the rest of the summer! I'm going to look into this for next year, thanks for sharing with us.

The water situation sounds good and as PM says, I can always carry a few more in the jersey if needs be!

Mar 12, 2008

That's the spirit, I'm in!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Picked up a lovely little Raleigh Molly 16 for our 4 yr old today. £10 was a bargain as it's in very good nick and feels like a well built bike for what it is that has a lovely shape to it too. She's been out on it tonight but struggling with pedalling as I've had her learning on a balance bike rather than a bike with stabilisers. She has the hard bit cracked though I reckon by coming from a balance bike and I'm reasonably confident she'll be fully up and running on her 'Molly' come the end of the weekend. Now if only I could stumble across a bargain Islabike for our 8yr old I'd be laughing, but those bikes go secondhand for not a great deal less than you'd pay new!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here