Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Which reminds me re shoes.

Get a size bigger than you normally have.

Your feet will expand on the bike, plus you'll need the extra 'space' for either ventilation in the summer or wrapping up warm in the winter.

Good advice in theory, but you have to be extra careful on the brand too. Some come up small, some come up big, or atleast from what I can gather from research, having only worn a pair of Aldi specials and now those Shimanos.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Good advice in theory, but you have to be extra careful on the brand too. Some come up small, some come up big, or atleast from what I can gather from research, having only worn a pair of Aldi specials and now those Shimanos.

Sidi shoes, great though they are, come up horribly small. I take size 46 normally, but need a 48 with Sidi.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I thought I'd drop this in here. It's from The Times' Cities fit for Cycling campaign. As today is the last day before the Common's summer recess, and the debate is on the first day back it'd be great if you can contact your MP (via the link - 5 mins max) asking them to attend and support cycling:

A landmark debate on cycling will take place in the House of Commons on Monday, September 2, when MPs will debate the findings of the Get Britain Cycling report. This calls on the Government to increase investment in cycling across the UK.

This debate only came about because almost 70,000 people, perhaps including you, signed our vital e-petition. Thank you so much for doing so.

Now we are requesting that you to write to your MP and implore him or her to attend the debate on your behalf. You can do so on our campaign page here: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/pledge/

The result of your actions would not only improve safety for the 750,000 cyclists who already commute to work by bike in Britain, but would also have a significant impact in reducing traffic jams for motorists, easing overcrowding on public transport and saving millions from local health budgets.

When we last asked you to contact your MP in February 2012, more than 4,000 of you did so, which resulted in 77 MPs attending a debate on cycling in Westminster Hall. Many said they attended because they had been contacted by their constituents.

Almost 18 months later, we would urge you to do the same.

Thank you for your continued support.

John Witherow
Editor of The Times

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought I'd drop this in here. It's from The Times' Cities fit for Cycling campaign. As today is the last day before the Common's summer recess, and the debate is on the first day back it'd be great if you can contact your MP (via the link - 5 mins max) asking them to attend and support cycling:

A landmark debate on cycling will take place in the House of Commons on Monday, September 2, when MPs will debate the findings of the Get Britain Cycling report. This calls on the Government to increase investment in cycling across the UK.

This debate only came about because almost 70,000 people, perhaps including you, signed our vital e-petition. Thank you so much for doing so.

Now we are requesting that you to write to your MP and implore him or her to attend the debate on your behalf. You can do so on our campaign page here: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/pledge/

The result of your actions would not only improve safety for the 750,000 cyclists who already commute to work by bike in Britain, but would also have a significant impact in reducing traffic jams for motorists, easing overcrowding on public transport and saving millions from local health budgets.

When we last asked you to contact your MP in February 2012, more than 4,000 of you did so, which resulted in 77 MPs attending a debate on cycling in Westminster Hall. Many said they attended because they had been contacted by their constituents.

Almost 18 months later, we would urge you to do the same.

Thank you for your continued support.

John Witherow
Editor of The Times

Thanks for posting this. Letter to my MP has been duly sent.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Scores up. Moto and I with a share of the stage victory!

I promise I did not look at your team. Sooner or later I was going to a reasonable haul statistically speaking. I'm happy enough with my fluke though. Well done you for getting there with a measured pick.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I promise I did not look at your team. Sooner or later I was going to a reasonable haul statistically speaking. I'm happy enough with my fluke though. Well done you for getting there with a measured pick.

Good to see Willy Bonnet doing the goods for us! Stat would be proud.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant stuff chaps, well done.

I see you couldn't have done it without Billy Bonnet...need I say anymore :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
jinx, no returns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That poor French lad that fell heavily in the afternoon on the collar bone he broke in the morning :down:

Hmmm descending like an idiot after a fall with a fractured collar bone - if only there was a lesson to be learnt!!

It was a particularly nasty one, I'm off to find a photo of his entire right shoulder crumple on impact.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hmmm descending like an idiot after a fall with a fractured collar bone - if only there was a lesson to be learned!!

I was a particularly nasty one, I'm off to find a photo of his entire right shoulder crumple on impact.

It is less funny if you thought you were clever by drafting him in to your fantasy team :lolol:

Seriously though, you have to feel for him, going for it on a tricky descent with a broken collarbone takes almost as much balls as it takes a lack of common sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is less funny if you thought you were clever by drafting him in to your fantasy team :lolol:

Seriously though, you have to feel for him, going for it on a tricky descent with a broken collarbone takes almost as much balls as it takes a lack of common sense.

But to do it on the same bend, LEARN THE FREAKIN LESSON, PEANUT.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Scores up. Moto and I with a share of the stage victory!

And that's what I keep banging on about on how good we do as team NSC on the overall. As a team we'd take on all comers and show 'em how to play the game I reckon :)

Chapeau you two! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here