Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(Sent from the doghouse.) "The world revolves around you and your bike." I only said I was going to clean it.

:wrong:
Take your bike with you, job done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who'll be Wiggins', Chris Froome at The Giro.

Is it Uran?

If so, a la Le Tour he's got to be worth a decent e/w bet.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Quick story...

I spent yesterday evening in the new forest with my brother. We stayed at a local pub/ hotel, ate and drank in said pub and generally spent our money in the area. I imagine similar was the case for hundreds and hundreds of other cyclists who were due to ride the Wiggle sportives on Saturday and Sunday.
(As an aside, today's ride was actually cancelled last night at 6:32pm. We got the email just after checking in!)

Anyway, what do the locals think of all the money being spent in the local area? Not much it seems:
BBC News - New Forest cycle event criticised by horse owners

Some talk on Bike Radar of the Saturday ride being interrupted at times by protestors and signage being ripped down etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not great scores from any of us! I think i top scored today with 95!

Oi, stop nicking my 95 pts you! 67 for you I see.

You're right though, not great scores again. I'm amazed I crept up on overall and so still in touching distance of top. In each one of these classics I can point to just one or two simple mistakes that have cost me points. Had I not made those mistakes I'd be flying by now as no one seems to score that much. Mind you, it's ifs, buts and maybes for all of us I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So who'll be Wiggins', Chris Froome at The Giro.

Is it Uran?

If so, a la Le Tour he's got to be worth a decent e/w bet.

I have absolutely no idea. Predicting who's going to be doing what & when with Sky these days is becoming an increasingly difficult science. What is for sure though is that the bookies will give crap odds on any Sky rider and the fantasy game will over inflate their price too (Porte being the exception that proves the rule).

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oi, stop nicking my 95 pts you! 67 for you I see.

You're right though, not great scores again. I'm amazed I crept up on overall and so still in touching distance of top. In each one of these classics I can point to just one or two simple mistakes that have cost me points. Had I not made those mistakes I'd be flying by now as no one seems to score that much. Mind you, it's ifs, buts and maybes for all of us I suppose.

Ha! I just looked at the league on my phone and tried to click on my score - must have hit yours!

I didn't think I'd scored that many!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have absolutely no idea. Predicting who's going to be doing what & when with Sky these days is becoming an increasingly difficult science. What is for sure though is that the bookies will give crap odds on any Sky rider and the fantasy game will over inflate their price too (Porte being the exception that proves the rule).
I wouldn't be so sure.

Wiggins' odds are ridiculously short but you can get around 50's for Uran/Henao and Kennagh isn't even listed.

There's no way Wiggin's is as nailed on for the Giro as he was for the tour, making the big priced mountain topped last lieutenant an even more attractive bet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
..........is it time to take the shoe/toe covers off???

..........is it time to get the 23mm sports tyres out of the cupboard???

..........is it time to pack the base layers, arm warmers etc. into storage???

..........whisper it quietly, but is winter finally ending!? :rave:

Gorgeous ride this morning up to Nuthurst and back, beautiful, and not a cold extremity in sight!! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quick story...

I spent yesterday evening in the new forest with my brother. We stayed at a local pub/ hotel, ate and drank in said pub and generally spent our money in the area. I imagine similar was the case for hundreds and hundreds of other cyclists who were due to ride the Wiggle sportives on Saturday and Sunday.
(As an aside, today's ride was actually cancelled last night at 6:32pm. We got the email just after checking in!)

Anyway, what do the locals think of all the money being spent in the local area? Not much it seems:
BBC News - New Forest cycle event criticised by horse owners

Some talk on Bike Radar of the Saturday ride being interrupted at times by protestors and signage being ripped down etc.
New Forest Spring Sportive sabotaged | Latest News | Cycling Weekly

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
..........is it time to take the shoe/toe covers off???

..........is it time to get the 23mm sports tyres out of the cupboard???

..........is it time to pack the base layers, arm warmers etc. into storage???

..........whisper it quietly, but is winter finally ending!? :rave:

Gorgeous ride this morning up to Nuthurst and back, beautiful, and not a cold extremity in sight!! :thumbsup:

Fantastic finally getting on my bike and actually enjoying it. However this long winter has really taken a toll on my cycling fitness. Finding after a few decent hills I am already struggling. Anyone got any quick fix tips to get those muscles working again especially on the undulating hills of the Downs or is it just a case of 'riding it out'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fantastic finally getting on my bike and actually enjoying it. However this long winter has really taken a toll on my cycling fitness. Finding after a few decent hills I am already struggling. Anyone got any quick fix tips to get those muscles working again especially on the undulating hills of the Downs or is it just a case of 'riding it out'

I'm afraid it's just a case of getting miles in your legs. The more that you do, the more you'll be able to do. Don't kill yourself, just enjoy it - and with the weather today it finally feels as though we're gonna get a bit of payback for the last 12 months' shocking weather!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I'm afraid it's just a case of getting miles in your legs. The more that you do, the more you'll be able to do. Don't kill yourself, just enjoy it - and with the weather today it finally feels as though we're gonna get a bit of payback for the last 12 months' shocking weather!

Thanks, I think your right about trying to enjoy it. I am at least 2-3 mph slower at the moment over similar rides this year and have a tendency to just try and ride hard to catch up rather than just enjoying it and getting the miles in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yesterday was the first time I've been out on the bike for pleasure in months. Day off work Wednesday to take in Fleche Wallonne and hopefully get out for my first decent ride of the year in the morning. It's been a looooong time coming! I'm really not a fair weather anything usually, preferring it cold to too hot, but this winter has beaten me good and proper all ends up.

Meanwhile, fantasy roster is no where near complete for FW so can't start tinkering yet in preparation. Looks like we're all stuck with a last minute dash tomorrow night for team selection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here