Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Well you'll not be welcome back here.

IN IT TO WIN IT - TEAM GEEK.

Well, I better make this my final post then!

Sub 4 hours is beyond me at the moment over 65 miles and with 1700 metres to clamber up.
Only managed 3h 50m over 55 miles last week with 1300 metres. (although i did waste a few too many precious minutes at the feed station)

It's all part of getting the miles in the legs for me at the moment. Plus, it's going to be cold too.
I may pop back sporadically with more excuses as and when they come to me...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I better make this my final post then!

Sub 4 hours is beyond me at the moment over 65 miles and with 1700 metres to clamber up.
Only managed 3h 50m over 55 miles last week with 1300 metres. (although i did waste a few too many precious minutes at the feed station)

It's all part of getting the miles in the legs for me at the moment. Plus, it's going to be cold too.
I may pop back sporadically with more excuses as and when they come to me...
Feed station, feed station!!! dear god it gets worse.

When we are all really really bored I'll retell the jelly bean story, for the kerzillionth time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:facepalm:

I'm looking for the defence, but no, I can't see any.
Being side tracked by flapjacks is perfectly acceptable in the normal world.

But this is non racing, bike racing, you grab as many as you can without stopping then tip over the tray so none of your competition can have any.

I can feel a training camp coming on, you boys have a lot to learn :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would be more than happy to learn from my superiors.
Is now a good time to thank you for your Garmin advice a while back?!!
Flattery will get you everywhere.
You clearly need sportive advice, if you are treating is a nice ride out with like minded people :lol:.
It's times like those when being social awkward is a right bonus!!

Even a stopped clock is right twice.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've trying to find a local ride with all the climbs in. A bit up and down and move along to the next one, but what do you think?

alltheclimbs.jpg

I might make it my final L2B weekly training ride after the HH. Surely that would give me the legs and lungs to give the L2B a good run?

Mar 12, 2008
I know [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] has also signed up for this. I've got 2 friends also signed up. Would be good to have a bit of an NSC meet up in the morning. Perhaps PM mobile no.s so we can text on the day. I'm thinking try to keep a largish group together for the duration until the Beacon climb, then it's every man for himself to the top!

Hi Bold. Good call, it's only me and my mate so a larger squad would be ideal. We're aiming for an 8am departure, how does that sound? Weather forecast doesn't look great, a strong wind and possibly rain!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've trying to find a local ride with all the climbs in. A bit up and down and move along to the next one, but what do you think?

View attachment 40130

I might make it my final L2B weekly training ride after the HH. Surely that would give me the legs and lungs to give the L2B a good run?
It looks tougher than 99% of the L2B.
I bet you'll be looking for 'just one more hill' as the weather and you improve.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
You clearly need sportive advice, if you are treating is a nice ride out with like minded people :lol:.

Believe me I'm not. I'm as competitive as they come.
I'm just keeping an eye on the bigger picture as I know I'm mostly going into these sportives knackered from the rest of my training rather than peaking for them.

On a serious note though the Garmin purchase, complete with HR and cadence, has been a revelation. Seriously good piece of kit and even makes the turbo trainer sessions seem almost bearable/ worthwhile. Or at least they make me kill myself whilst on there as I know the results will be there to see afterwards.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a serious note though the Garmin purchase, complete with HR and cadence, has been a revelation. Seriously good piece of kit and even makes the turbo trainer sessions seem almost bearable/ worthwhile. Or at least they make me kill myself whilst on there as I know the results will be there to see afterwards.
When I was first getting back into bikes, I was listening to a local fella who'd been selling bikes since the days when the front wheel was 3 times the size of the back. He really put me off all things 'modern'.

So I was very late to cadence, and even when I did get on board I wasn't using it to it's full extent.

It finally all clicked into place with a copy of 'Cycling fit', and their threshold tests, from then on cycling was so much 'easier', esp on rolling roads.
Sure a big climb doesn't give any leeway, but getting in the right gear and cadence for the 5-9%ers was something I was obviously lacking.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tirreno-Adriatico looks like it could be good viewing tomorrow, what with the summit finish and all that.

Sagan edged out Cav & the Gorilla today I see in atrocious conditions.

Last 3 Km of Stage 3 (2013/tirreno-adriatico)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]310125971598610432[/tweet]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Bold. Good call, it's only me and my mate so a larger squad would be ideal. We're aiming for an 8am departure, how does that sound? Weather forecast doesn't look great, a strong wind and possibly rain!

I'm meeting 4 friends at the top of the Beacon at 7.15, cycling to the start to register, also looking to head off at about 8.00. So, should you wish to say hello, I'll be wearing lycra.

Let's pm numbers today!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bollox!, in today's breakaway conundrum I swapped out de Gendt for Tommy V. Had half a mind to put Tschopp in as KOM jersey holder but didn't. Sure enough, Tschopp in the break and picking up points.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Funny how doing a new map in the opposite direction results in a different distance. Anyway, 32.57 miles this morning in 2:28:58. Think I've worked out the reasons for my downhill/braking nerves. Most roads I use are very narrow and closed in, so reaction time is minimal. Wider more open roads allow a lot more confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here