Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'm doing the Wiggle 100 South Downs Sportive this coming Sunday - will be my first event and really looking forward to it. I think we have a couple of climbs including Butser Hill which should be fun.

Some nasty climbs there, make sure you do a thorough blood transfusion

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
With all this talk of climbing technique is it time for an NSC Hill Climb race?

Oh, and regarding cleaning - baby wipes get everything off everything. Relube chain afterwards though. I don't know if it works for mountain bikes as knobbly = evil.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe not a hill climb race, but I'd be up for meeting up for a casual run out* in Sussex somewhere, sometime... :thumbsup:

*Inevitably turning into a race :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe not a hill climb race, but I'd be up for meeting up for a casual run out* in Sussex somewhere, sometime... :thumbsup:

*Inevitably turning into a race :wink:
I do hope you chase down every roadie you encounter on the road, and 'race' them, without them knowing.

Mar 12, 2008
Could sort out a lift there potentially (although wouldn't be able to bring you back - see family gathering), leaving from Hove area in the morning...

Thanks for the offer but think I'll leave it til the last minute before deciding. Dependent on weather forecast and beer consumption after the Boro game!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Personally not something I really go to town on.

Muck off cleaner, I've a Parker tool chain cleaning gizmo, then Finish Line Wet Lube.

A post ride rub down with a wet wipe goes a long way.

Fingers crossed Mr Postie will be dropping you in some J wheels, tomorrow.

I'm doing the Wiggle 100 South Downs Sportive this coming Sunday - will be my first event and really looking forward to it. I think we have a couple of climbs including Butser Hill which should be fun.

Thanks everyone for all your lube/cleaning products recommendations.

Special thanks to SB as two clean as a whistle free running Campag jockey wheels arrived in the post today, lovingly packaged and sent for no more than the love of helping out a (old) newbie cycling geek - thanks SB, you're a star! :thumbsup:

May I also take this opportunity to wish Bold Seagull a great ride on Sunday. Sounds like you've really been putting in the miles lately so it should go superbly. Have a good one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks everyone for all your lube/cleaning products recommendations.

Special thanks to SB as two clean as a whistle free running Campag jockey wheels arrived in the post today, lovingly packaged and sent for no more than the love of helping out a (old) newbie cycling geek - thanks SB, you're a star! :thumbsup:

May I also take this opportunity to wish Bold Seagull a great ride on Sunday. Sounds like you've really been putting in the miles lately so it should go superbly. Have a good one!

Haven't you got something else to say?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for the best wishes! This thread has been brilliant for someone really getting into cycling as a hobby (rather than just years as merely a commuter). In fact, I'll say it quietly, but I think I come on here now more for the cycling than I do the football!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In terms of that hill climb race, [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] has just got KOM on Strava for the fastest climb up Alfriston Road, the fastest out of 78 other riders. 3mins43secs - well done that man!! :clap:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In terms of that hill climb race, [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] has just got KOM on Strava for the fastest climb up Alfriston Road, the fastest out of 78 other riders. 3mins43secs - well done that man!! :clap:
Bollox to that, I couldn't do that shot out of a cannon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Haven't you got something else to say?

Well, ok then, I owe you that much, but it's blackmail as you said you'd relay it anyway :tantrum: :jester:

Was having another workshop night with my bike last night and one task was cleaning and adjusting the tensioners on the spd pedals ready for my first cleat experience. Finally got everything how I wanted it to be ( not too tight being a total cleat newbie) and it was time to practice in & outs whilst holding onto the kitchen side. Practice went superbly and feeling all smug and cocky I flicked a heel to release, swung the leg up & over to dismount...only to find I'd forgotten about the other foot and crash!, over I went! No harm done, but a bit of a worry when my first cleat fall comes before the cleats even leave the house :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Easy to tell who's been getting the miles in then!

From what I've seen on this thread, Glanders would very much be the danger man in an NSC road race.

Despite only recently returning to the road, 1066 would be guaranteed to get in the early break!

Great call on Glanders, Bold seagull just confirmed his credentials! :eek:

Useless call on me though, I'd have about as much chance of escaping a NSC peloton as England have of playing Poland within the next 5 minutes :lol:

Mind you though, it might be worth making myself throw up for if I could live to tell the tale of leading a bloke who once beat Bradley Wiggins! Mind you, I'd leave out the bit about me getting reeled back in again and spat straight out the back and missing the cut off time :wink:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Butser Hill is very, very long.

I've done a few sportives this year, in training for Land's End to John O'Groats that I did in the summer. They're brilliant, particularly when the sun is shining, so good luck this weekend - a brave time of year to do your first sportive!

I've not contributed to this thread yet - I missed it when it started, and so missed out on all that fantasy league stuff - is that starting from scratch again? I'd like to give it a go...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've not contributed to this thread yet - I missed it when it started, and so missed out on all that fantasy league stuff - is that starting from scratch again? I'd like to give it a go...

Starts again in January with the tour down under. Might be a new thread for next year - we'll leave that to Pantani.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here