Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hello stranger, Froome-dog has been missed.

I'd be spewing my guts up.
It would be a proper tortoise and hare race, although I can't see the tortoise pulling this one off.

I didn't say my fastest was Hare like though did I? :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok Cycling Geeks, more advice please.

I just had a can of halfords chain lube and a can of disc brake cleaner for my mountain bike but I think my new secondhand road bike deserves better than that, so......

....Your recommended lubes, degreasers/cleaners etc please if you'd be so kind. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally not something I really go to town on.

Muck off cleaner, I've a Parker tool chain cleaning gizmo, then Finish Line Wet Lube.

A post ride rub down with a wet wipe goes a long way.

Fingers crossed Mr Postie will be dropping you in some J wheels, tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice one, thanks SB.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I use White Lightening Epic Ride lube. Works for me, although I'm going to try a few. It's quite light so not sure about trying something thicker for the winter. I've got Muc off but only find it's good for a bit of dirt. For a really good degreaser I've been using White Lighting Clean Streak - any gunk on your chain and gears really does just drop off.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I also use epic ride line, saves the wet/dry lube conundrum.

Muc-off is pretty good, I use the drive chain stuff. Always give a good spray with gt85, followed by a wipe after cleaning to drive out the water, then lube.

Mar 12, 2008
This thread is getting geekier by the day - loving it! Completed my first event yesterday, the Cycling Weekly Dorking Sportive. Have to say it was great fun, taking in some nice climbs - Leith Hill, White Down and Box Hill. White Down is a monster! The majority of participants were walking up it. Not quite as tough as my favourite, Steyning Bostal, but what is!

Anyone else into the Sportive scene?

I'm a fan of Finish Line lube and Muck Off for cleaning purposes. I've also got a Park chain gang cleaning system which is brilliant, really gets the job done.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This thread is getting geekier by the day - loving it! Completed my first event yesterday, the Cycling Weekly Dorking Sportive. Have to say it was great fun, taking in some nice climbs - Leith Hill, White Down and Box Hill. White Down is a monster! The majority of participants were walking up it. Not quite as tough as my favourite, Steyning Bostal, but what is!

Anyone else into the Sportive scene?

I'm a fan of Finish Line lube and Muck Off for cleaning purposes. I've also got a Park chain gang cleaning system which is brilliant, really gets the job done.

I'm doing the Wiggle 100 South Downs Sportive this coming Sunday - will be my first event and really looking forward to it. I think we have a couple of climbs including Butser Hill which should be fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm doing the Wiggle 100 South Downs Sportive this coming Sunday - will be my first event and really looking forward to it. I think we have a couple of climbs including Butser Hill which should be fun.
Are you doing the full 100 miles.

I did it in a most annoying 6 hrs and 2 fricking minutes.

Butser isn't the problem, Buriton (sp) is an arse of a climb.
But that's nothing compared to Harting Down.

Mar 12, 2008

Funnily enough I was looking at that this morning, there are still places available. It's very tempting. Good luck!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you doing the full 100 miles.

I did it in a most annoying 6 hrs and 2 fricking minutes.

Butser isn't the problem, Buriton (sp) is an arse of a climb.
But that's nothing compared to Harting Down.

No - I'm still a beginner SB! :wink:

Joking aside, I'm doing the 45mile 'fun' version, mainly as there is a bit of a family gathering planned for lunch in Chichester after. I quite fancy the longer version now I've got some hard miles under my belt though. Next year:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Joking aside, I'm doing the 45mile 'fun' version, mainly as there is a bit of a family gathering planned for lunch in Chichester after. I quite fancy the longer version now I've got some hard miles under my belt though. Next year:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll have a look at the route tomorrow, and see how it's changed.

As an aside, I'm sure we'll cover it in an NSC Cycling Geeks Training Masterclass, at another time.

But, don't train up to 100 miles when going for your first ever century.
If you can ride 75-80 you should be able to do 100.
You'll be balls out the last 20 and the sense of achievement is fantastic.

Night all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Weather and p's permitting, you'll love it.

You will really really kick yourself for not going longer, that's just the nature of such events.
You'll be having a great time and just will want to do more, the same would apply after the 76 mile route.

It looks like Winchester Hill is THE hill, but doing The Bostal means you'll get up there ok.
Best make the most of what's on offer. The Meons has some great undulating roads really enjoyable to put the hammer down, on the descents and the small climbs

(Cue story time from wheezy old man in corner of the pub, best stop reading now)

I did an event around that area, the first half was very lumpy.
2 blokes were beating me up all the climbs but I was charging past them on the descents.
After the last descent was a feed station before about 20 miles of the Meon's undulation, to the finish.
We arrived together, they stopped for a cake, I showed my number and said goodbye.

The roads, the weather, my bike, my legs were all great, I was enjoying it and tw@tting along.
I had to hang in for the last climb to the finish but made it, happy days, a pretty quick time.

I was just about to have my first spoonful of pasta when one of the 2 fellas limped in.
He stood over me and gave me a full volley of proper dogs abuse, I didn't have a clue what was going on as he could hardly get any words out.
His mate then comes in all apologetic to both of us.

Turns out when I left them his mate said I'm not having that and insisted they shot off after me.
They came after me with matey insisting I 'must be round the next bend', for the next 20 miles.
Fella had even done in his dodgy hip, but his mate was adament they could still catch me.

I'm now sat there with a massive grin while they bickered and gesticulated at me.

Happy days.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I already know I'll be kicking myself, but as it's my first one it will be a good chance to get used to the event, and I plan to do more next year. I guess I'll just have to push to get a decent time in for the shorter distance. I'm riding with my cousin and some of his friends, so should be a good laugh.

Brilliant that someone can give you abuse for simply being faster, very funny!

The bit about the dodgy hip also reminds me I have to take my cod liver oil and glucosamine & chondroitin sulphate tablets this morning (knees rather than hips...) :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The bit about the dodgy hip also reminds me I have to take my cod liver oil and glucosamine & chondroitin sulphate tablets this morning (knees rather than hips...) :thumbsup:
What's your name, Lance?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant that someone can give you abuse for simply being faster, very funny!
I did surprise myself, it was just one of those days where everything clicked.
I felt like I could have ridden like it for hours.
It was nice to struggle up the last slightly bigger climb as I knew I really couldn't have given it any more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here