Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just pick up a 'new' second hand Centaur derailleur, for £20-30.

I'd considered that option but not finding any at that price on ebay at the mo or any on bike radar. New centaur derailleurs come in at around £90 and as it's only that the jockeys wheels look a bit rough with the lower one having a tooth missing I thought I'd just replace those instead. Besides which, how do I know the jockey wheels are running nice and smooth on a second hand derailleur?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd considered that option but not finding any at that price on ebay at the mo or any on bike radar. New centaur derailleurs come in at around £90 and as it's only that the jockeys wheels look a bit rough with the lower one having a tooth missing I thought I'd just replace those instead. Besides which, how do I know the jockey wheels are running nice and smooth on a second hand derailleur?
Tooth missing does mean, as you know, you'll need to swap it over.
I can't quite fathom a 'bling' jockey wheel!

I'll see what I have in the shed, I think I might have a Mirage derailleur, you're more than welcome to have a wheel from that, if it's compatible.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
One of the things on my little shopping list is new jockey wheels.

Not sure I can justify these : Wiggle | Token TK1701TBT Alloy Tiramic Jockey Wheel (Campag) | Rear Derailleurs although I'm a bit tempted. Not sure if it's pushing the boat out for worthwhile better quality or really just a bit of bling to be honest.

Other options are standard campags at £15 or is it worth getting ceramic fit all ones for a few quid more (but they're not campags) ?

Bearing in mind this is for a 10 speed Campag Centaur group set, so nothing too fancy. Any advice and stories of own experiences greatly appreciated.

I think it's like a few things that are bling (super record vs record, ultra light shoes etc.), they're not the rate-limiting step in going faster.

I just replaced my jockey wheels (yes, another thing broke!) with campag and they are perfectly good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tooth missing does mean, as you know, you'll need to swap it over.
I can't quite fathom a 'bling' jockey wheel!
I'll see what I have in the shed, I think I might have a Mirage derailleur, you're more than welcome to have a wheel from that, if it's compatible.

How can red jockey wheels not be bling!? :lol:

Thanks for the Mirage offer, that's very kind of you. I'm having trouble dating this Bettaglin 'Farrara' model, but I'm guessing perhaps early 2000's?, so I'd expect the Mirage one would be compatible.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think it's like a few things that are bling (super record vs record, ultra light shoes etc.), they're not the rate-limiting step in going faster.

I just replaced my jockey wheels (yes, another thing broke!) with campag and they are perfectly good.

Yes, but would a bling jockey wheel with smooth bearings give an old man the edge over his 13 yr old boy riding his hand me down full sus mountain bike do you think? :wink:

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I've got those self-same red bling token tiramic jockey wheels on my stealth and can confirm, scientifically and beyond all doubt, that they DON'T make you any faster.

But they do look good....

I reckon I'd take up the offer of the recycled mirage wheels if I were you - pretty sure all campag jockey wheels are interchangeable.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've got those self-same red bling token tiramic jockey wheels on my stealth and can confirm, scientifically and beyond all doubt, that they DON'T make you any faster.

But they do look good....

I reckon I'd take up the offer of the recycled mirage wheels if I were you - pretty sure all campag jockey wheels are interchangeable.

Nice one, thanks. Have a fizik arione on watch at the mo on ebay too, so thanks again.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
No problem. Got a broken arione (cracked base) that you're welcome to if you want to see whether it suits you? No good for long rides, but ok to give you an idea. Work in Brighton and/or going to boro game if that helps?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No problem. Got a broken arione (cracked base) that you're welcome to if you want to see whether it suits you? No good for long rides, but ok to give you an idea. Work in Brighton and/or going to boro game if that helps?
Yay lets have a second hand cycling bits and bobs swap meet at the Boro game.

We'd get our geeky arses kicked back down to Evans :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How can red jockey wheels not be bling!? :lol:

Thanks for the Mirage offer, that's very kind of you. I'm having trouble dating this Bettaglin 'Farrara' model, but I'm guessing perhaps early 2000's?, so I'd expect the Mirage one would be compatible.
Well I've taken the two Mirage derailleur wheels off and tidied them up.
PM me if you want me to post them on to you.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Well I've taken the two Mirage derailleur wheels off and tidied them up.
PM me if you want me to post them on to you.

And this is just another example of why I love NSC and this thread in particularly - so many nice people on here.

Cheers SB, I'll PM you.

Thanks Glanders, that's very good of you. I may well take you up on that as it would be well handy to try before I buy where saddles are concerned. The one I had been watching on Ebay went for £50 posted in the end :( I rarely ever see a bargain on Ebay to be honest, seems like a sellers market to me. I'm also keeping an eye on Bike Radar too, which seems much more like it!, but nothing's come up there at the moment. Can I PM you nearer the weekend ? I will be going to the game, just not sure of my timings for that one at the mo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Years ago I read a little side bar from a climber I'd never heard of, on 'how to climber up a mountain'.

As much as obviously there is next to no similarity, I've still always used his advise.
I'm not the first (cos I've never been the lightest) but unless it's Cobb Lane I'm confident of easily making it over.

- Drink/eat 5 to 10 mins before the climb.
- Approaching the climb make an effort to control your breathing.
Good solid lung filling breaths, get into a good rhythm, the burn comes from lack of oxygen to your muscles.
- At the foot of the climb drop into the lowest gear you'll need.
- Maintain breathing, cadence, gears, from there if you're feeling up to it, you can then push on to the top, on the top half (or 3rd) of the climb.

I'm sure (I know for a fact) there are better people than me at going up hill, [MENTION=2551]Stoichkov[/MENTION] will have better advise, but I think the above makes for a pretty good starting point.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All makes good sense. But (and I talk from inexperience here)....

That dropping into the lowest gear is all very well, but what if it ramps again?

I was going up Croft Road this evening, going fine on the majority and was pacing myself for the final steep ramp round the bend. I thought I'd left one more gear to drop into and tried that just as I entered the final bend - alas I was already in the lowest gear the bike has! Made it to the top, but boy did it hurt!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's the first bit like?
If it's a comfortable ride then just use it a practise for the turn, making sure your breathing tempo & rhythm are all good.
Before the turn drop into the lowest gear, and make sure you're set.
Or just sit in the lowest gear from the start and don't get tempted by any short false flats, esp as you know 'what's round the corner'.
I think the whole point is not to touch your gears on the climb, as it upsets everything else.

That is until you are ready to make a break for the top, obviously using the gears then is just matching the extra power you are putting out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aha, those short false flats!

Croft Road starts fairly steep, then flattens for a bit, steep again then long steady slope with a false flat (this is where it's easy to get carried away). Finally the long steady slope gets steeper until a final bend into seriously steep.

Your advice about not getting carried away on the false flats is solid - I tend to think I have it cracked on those bits of any climb, even if I do know what's coming - and then the rude awakening comes!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
What's the first bit like?
If it's a comfortable ride then just use it a practise for the turn, making sure your breathing tempo & rhythm are all good.
Before the turn drop into the lowest gear, and make sure you're set.
Or just sit in the lowest gear from the start and don't get tempted by any short false flats, esp as you know 'what's round the corner'.
I think the whole point is not to touch your gears on the climb, as it upsets everything else.

That is until you are ready to make a break for the top, obviously using the gears then is just matching the extra power you are putting out.

Changing is so good nowadays that it isn't really ideal to just stick to a gear regardless. Rythmn is very important on long steady climbs and trying to maintain a reasonable cadence helps with this - just change gear when you need to (presuming you're not going to get unexpectedly confronted with a sudden very steep rise). The exception to this is big/little ring, you'll need to get in the little ring in time.

Climbing in the saddle is more efficient but getting out of the saddle will help you get through changes in gradient and shift the burden on to other muscles for a brief time.

Most of it is about gauging your effort and the rest is tinkering.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and in doing so, you're upsets your rhythm. Next time just try sitting in, using the false flats as a short breather.

I was very late to the 'cadence meter party', but they are a great help in such situations.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here