Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me bad. Happened three times already. And yes, nothing hurt so far. First time I came to a t-junction and got distracted by a learner driving really slowly turning in front of me. Forgot that I had only one cleat out and went to put the wrong foot down! I came very close to falling through the open window of the car. I can still see the terrified look on her face.
Lol and all the stories are chuckle-tastic.

I'll write mine up later, I just watching the end of baseball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Questions? Sounds a bit intimidating. Do I have to read all 2507 posts to work out what the questions are?

By the way, my tuppence worth for the saddle query is a fizik arione or old style flite, both do-able for about £30-40 on bike radar, eBay, tt forum etc. But most important is to get one that fits your arse, and that is unfortunately down to trial and error. Specialized do their saddles (toupe, alias etc) in a variety of widths and some shops offer test saddles. Alternatively, buy a few second hand and then chop the ones back out that aggravate your chalfonts. Bonne chance!
You can't just stroll in here handing out sound advise willy nilly :lol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never had a problem with my spd cleats, but last week I had a comical fall clipped into my new spd-l pedals. Starting on a hill I got going with one cleat in but couldn't get the other cleat in to continue the momentum, and having come to a stop, dropped like a sack of spuds. Luckily no witnesses at all!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
You can't just stroll in here handing out sound advise willy nilly :lol:

Sorry, forget what I said. What i meant to say is what you really need is a 1980s plastic BMX saddle, like a kashimax aero. Pm me and I'll sort you one out. Guaranteed bruised perineum or your money back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, forget what I said. What i meant to say is what you really need is a 1980s plastic BMX saddle, like a kashimax aero. Pm me and I'll sort you one out. Guaranteed bruised perineum or your money back.
:lol:

Good stuff, you'll fit right in.

So what are you riding?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me bad. Happened three times already. And yes, nothing hurt so far. First time I came to a t-junction and got distracted by a learner driving really slowly turning in front of me. Forgot that I had only one cleat out and went to put the wrong foot down! I came very close to falling through the open window of the car. I can still see the terrified look on her face.
I've done one that was a 'whoops I forgot I had cleats'.

But the other was after the London to Brighton.

I was still a newbie and had latched onto a couple of guys from Turners Hill to Ditchling.
I was riding fast but learning to draft so all good.

I finished and turned for home, which would have been about 80-90 miles total.

Anyhoo I found myself in front of a London Dynamo chain by Hove, I stupidly (newbie) held them off through Portslade until being swallowed up, then sat at the back drafting to Shoreham.

I'm now back along the coast and feck me by Lancing all the fatigue hit me like a hammer blow, in one go.

I had to stop at the roundabout by the green and used cars place, and I was so gone and disorientated, I just sat there clipped in didn't move a muscle until gravity took effect and I keeled over sideways.

Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But rest, the saddle, stem, bars, brakes, gears, pedals, levers, along with the 2 new bits, cables and CELESTE bar tape, came in at around £100.
Thinking about it, it's more like the second hand stuff came in at around £100 plus another £50 or so for the cables and CELESTE bar tape.

That had been bothering me for a while.
Never let it be said we are not honest as well as binfest free.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thinking about it, it's more like the second hand stuff came in at around £100 plus another £50 or so for the cables and CELESTE bar tape.

That had been bothering me for a while.
Never let it be said we are not honest as well as binfest free.

I'd not really heard of Celeste bar tape till now...

Anyhoo, me & Glanders are now Strava buddies - NSC cycle geeks need to get on board!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I owe you some thanks this morning, after a curry and a couple of single malts last night, when the sun came out this morning I was given the green light for a bit of time on the bike and took on the Steyning Bostal. Half way up the Bostal Road, the second steep part (about 17%) my pedals just weren't going to rotate anymore...but I couldn't very well have come on here asking about climbs, then fail on the first one I try. So from some where I managed to just kick on that little bit and did get to the top - all be it it took me 7 mins 39 secs compared to the Strava fastest time of 4mins 07 secs, but really I did it, and who is going to argue over 3 mins 32 secs amoung friends!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I owe you some thanks this morning, after a curry and a couple of single malts last night, when the sun came out this morning I was given the green light for a bit of time on the bike and took on the Steyning Bostal. Half way up the Bostal Road, the second steep part (about 17%) my pedals just weren't going to rotate anymore...but I couldn't very well have come on here asking about climbs, then fail on the first one I try. So from some where I managed to just kick on that little bit and did get to the top - all be it it took me 7 mins 39 secs compared to the Strava fastest time of 4mins 07 secs, but really I did it, and who is going to argue over 3 mins 32 secs amoung friends!!
and I know the exact bit you nearly stopped at! :whistle:

It's an arse of a climb, just when you think you've broken the back of it, you go round that bend and all you can see is tarmac.

Cracking views with a hairy descent, and another kicker, which nobody told you about :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
:lol:

Good stuff, you'll fit right in.

So what are you riding?

Quantity over quality in the main, I'm afraid....

- the exception is my Planet X stealth which I use for tts. Full dura ace with pro disc and zipp 808 front
- Tifosi ck3 alloy framed winter bike/commuter
- Dolan mythos carbon framed road racing bike - mainly ultegra with novatec wheels
- specialized tricross single speed that I use occasionally on the downs & may set up for fixed wheel commuting
- battered old steel pinarello that's set up to replicate my tt position for use on the turbo

Bit over the top but its been a long time in the assemblage and my fleet is both less expensive and less extensive than those of a log of cycling mates!

Do any of you folk ride with the local clubs?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
not being able to drive and living in BH, only cycling club i can really join is the Nomads, even that's a trek (pardon the pun) to get up to ditchling.
What about Brighton Mitre or Preston Park?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
- the exception is my Planet X stealth which I use for tts. Full dura ace with pro disc and zipp 808 front
Yum, the full fffd fffd fffd soundtrack as it speeds along.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What about Brighton Mitre or Preston Park?

BM were up doing timings up the Bostal this morning, I caught them at the bottom as they'd finished, but one of them did give me a tip 'don't gun it too early' - that proved to be sound advice! And yes what a great climb and view reward at the end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BM were up doing timings up the Bostal this morning, I caught them at the bottom as they'd finished, but one of them did give me a tip 'don't gun it too early' - that proved to be sound advice! And yes what a great climb and view reward at the end.
We'd gone up there once and couldn't work out what was happening just as the road drops down to the right.

I turned out to be 3 blokes doing some kind of distance fishing casting.
From the top of a step descent with a following wind, just casting down into the field below.

I thought I was nuts for riding up the Bostal!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One of the things on my little shopping list is new jockey wheels.

Not sure I can justify these : Wiggle | Token TK1701TBT Alloy Tiramic Jockey Wheel (Campag) | Rear Derailleurs although I'm a bit tempted. Not sure if it's pushing the boat out for worthwhile better quality or really just a bit of bling to be honest.

Other options are standard campags at £15 or is it worth getting ceramic fit all ones for a few quid more (but they're not campags) ?

Bearing in mind this is for a 10 speed Campag Centaur group set, so nothing too fancy. Any advice and stories of own experiences greatly appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just pick up a 'new' second hand Centaur derailleur, for £20-30.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here