Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Not off to Burnley after all today, so really looking forward to some live coverage of the first proper mountain stage.

Traditionally, fantasy wise, it's time to shift in one of those Basque boys for the breakaway. But after much umming and arrhing last night and looking at roll in times from yesterday's stage, I've gone for someone who I think will be under team orders to be up the road today. The orange jersey I have my eye on will have to wait until tomorrow, so I'm hoping he doesn't go for it today.

Was the orange one txurruka?

I've got no one in the break..... Again!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Was the orange one txurruka?

I've got no one in the break..... Again!

Nope. I see Simon Clarke is in the break again though! Took him out for the TT and now it's coming back to haunt me. No one in there for me either.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Haha, take that Contador!

Tried his best to drop Purito today and yet another stage raced to perfection by Purito sees him do Contador in the last few 100 meters, AGAIN! :bowdown:

Admiration for Froome for at least having a go at an attack right near the end to catch Contador, but not to be. Oh well, battle for 3rd now with Valverde I suppose. Perhaps Contador was more interested in dropping Froome than J Rod today, and he did that, but judging by his reaction to the press as he made his way to the team bus, I don't think Bertie is too happy :lolol:

Would like to have just seen CMS' over head kick live today but hey ho, watching another great day of racing will do for me. :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ooh, just seen Greer has headed in our 3rd to make amends for the OG earlier :O

What a great day this is!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess CF had a 'death or glory' moment when he went through.
Was probably just running on fumes at that point.
Great riding by J-Rod, it's also nice to see AC riding more human!

I guess we all got the 1-2-3, I can add a 9th too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, have to admire Froome for giving it a go even though his legs have obviously gone.

Fantasy wise I think Cranky has scored really big today. Like you, I had 1-2-3 & 9th and can add 6 to that too.

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
Yep, have to admire Froome for giving it a go even though his legs have obviously gone.

Fantasy wise I think Cranky has scored really big today. Like you, I had 1-2-3 & 9th and can add 6 to that too.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Been a good day today. Great win at Burnley and Clarke taking the Mountains Jersey too!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Been a good day today. Great win at Burnley and Clarke taking the Mountains Jersey too!

I couldn't agree more, even though I'd long shifted Clarke out. Well played The Albion and well played to you Sir :clap2:

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
I couldn't agree more, even though I'd long shifted Clarke out. Well played The Albion and well played to you Sir :clap2:

I was close to getting rid of him too just before the TT, but didn't have enough free transfers available. So it was more luck than judgement.

Hoping for more of the same tomorrow...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was close to getting rid of him too just before the TT, but didn't have enough free transfers available. So it was more luck than judgement.

Hoping for more of the same tomorrow...

That's the way it often seems to go!

I decided take a risk on nocentini.... It didn't work!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are they ever going to put yesterdays scores up?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Surely a breakaway will stick today! It makes no sense for Saxo to be doing all the work to chase down the break, fail to drop Purito on the final ascent then let him nick the stage win and bonus time on the steep summit finish... AGAIN! :lolol: Let the break at least take the bonus seconds at the finish.

Contador is obviously still riding up to strength so perhaps have a day off today, another days racing under his belt, and then try something serious on tomorrows queen stage?

Fantasy wise I note today's profile is almost identical to the Stelvio stage that DeGendt won in this years Giro. Surely he must try something before this over?, and he was in that break that Cummings won. So with possibly a GC day off, that's my stage bet for fantastic win or epic fail. Meanwhile, Clarke to do what Kessiakoff and TV did in TdF, but perhaps only in terms of hoovering up early KOM points.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Up now. Despite scoring 159 I'm losing ground!

Pretty much everyone scored big yesterday I think. In some ways this has been the easiest GT to pick points up in fantasy wise. I haven't checked the figures but I bet we've all nearly surpassed our Giro & TdF points total already.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thats some Ba*tard of a finish to todays stage, gonna see some PAIN...

How do you see it going today Horton?

Contador having to try again today with time running out or letting the break go? 13 km HC climb to the finish so long enough for him to drop Purito you'd think, but then again yesterdays was about 10km. And the steepness just plays into J Rod's hands doesn't it?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How do you see it going today Horton?

Contador having to try again today with time running out or letting the break go? 13 km HC climb to the finish so long enough for him to drop Purito you'd think, but then again yesterdays was about 10km. And the steepness just plays into J Rod's hands doesn't it?

I was amazed when Contatdor just went up the road yesterday and when Roddy had the energy to burst at the end, not sure if the cricket score yesterday or the Cider has made my view of these attacks suspicious i.e this is what we were watching a couple of years back when cyclists were not so clean.

However then I say, the courses are shorter so enabling the top riders to be protected then released like sling shots onto the climbs. Also Froome looked absolutely out of it at the end after trying some audacious/suicidal (please delete as you see fit) attack, so I still love to believe this is genuine atacking riding. I know about British, US and French cycling more so do not know what the Spanish/Italien teams take on recovery products are, but where is Kobo this year after lasts years crazy exploits.

You cannot look beyond the top four protagonists today, Roddy, Bertie, Froome and Valverdee. The Final climb is a Spanish classic and pretty brutal, I would love to see an outsider climber like Anton or De Gendt, even Tiralongo break away and take some glory, however I think Saxo Bank, Katusha, Movistar and SKY will be too canny to allow this, all down to the importance this stage plays in winning the Tour. However big teams like BMC, Garmin and Astana would all like to take the big stage win

So my heart says Froome but head says Bertie or even Valverdee as they have a lot to gain in putting time into the others. However its been said on here a few times this tour is hard to call both on stages and GC, lets hope SKY feel good today.

On a different note, I like cycling without time bonuses has anyone seen any lists that show what the GC would look like without them.

Venga Venga, will be a destructive day at the top of the GC today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was amazed when Contatdor just went up the road yesterday and when Roddy had the energy to burst at the end, not sure if the cricket score yesterday or the Cider has made my view of these attacks suspicious i.e this is what we were watching a couple of years back when cyclists were not so clean.
I'm taking heart, in the small crumb of comfort that I feel AC would have crushed this stage pre-cloud & ban.
He just doesn't have as many kicks, anymore.

However then I say, the courses are shorter so enabling the top riders to be protected then released like sling shots onto the climbs. Also Froome looked absolutely out of it at the end after trying some audacious/suicidal (please delete as you see fit) attack, so I still love to believe this is genuine atacking riding. I know about British, US and French cycling more so do not know what the Spanish/Italien teams take on recovery products are, but where is Kobo this year after lasts years crazy exploits.
I've been grumbling about Cobo for a little while, this tour isn't helping.

You cannot look beyond the top four protagonists today, Roddy, Bertie, Froome and Valverdee. The Final climb is a Spanish classic and pretty brutal, I would love to see an outsider climber like Anton or De Gendt, even Tiralongo break away and take some glory, however I think Saxo Bank, Katusha, Movistar and SKY will be too canny to allow this, all down to the importance this stage plays in winning the Tour. However big teams like BMC, Garmin and Astana would all like to take the big stage win.
So my heart says Froome but head says Bertie or even Valverdee as they have a lot to gain in putting time into the others. However its been said on here a few times this tour is hard to call both on stages and GC, lets hope SKY feel good today.

I've snuck Anton into my team for today.
I don't see him mixing it with the very big boys, but fourth is getable.

On a different note, I like cycling without time bonuses has anyone seen any lists that show what the GC would look like without them.
Just another example of the Vuelta organisers cutting their cloth accordingly.
You can't blame them I bet the Spanish viewing figures are through the roof.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No one in the break again!

I've been suspicious about Cobo, particularly as he has stayed so far under the radar since his Vuelta win, with hardly any racing days.

There are so many variables now though. J-Rod lost 5 minutes in the time trial at last year's Vuelta and now he's barely a minute back. Valverde was caught by froome/Brad for about 2 minutes over the last few km of his tour stage win, now he's dropping Froome.

It's safe to say the Spanish have a somewhat loose attitude to doping. A drugs ban does not diminish your reputation as shown by Valverde and Contador's persisting popularity. Especially given Valverde's attitude has been no better than Vino, who has been vilified.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here