Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just caught yesterdays finish, but am in now.

Its nice to cycle looking like a pro.
Granted I'm going up 12% but its pretty much the same, isn't?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By the way, hope it's nothing too serious, and that you are well enough to make it to the game tonight.
Cos that'll make you feel so much better!!

Get well soon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what is the steepest a geek has climbed?

I cant think of anything steeper than high teens for me.
I'm certainly not getting my belly up 28%.

Mar 12, 2008

Barhatch Lane in Surrey is one of the hardest I've done, tougher than the Beacon/Bostal/Kidds/Cobb from memory. It's the last time I had to consider stopping and walking, only the Tour of Britain crowds kept me going, just couldn't face the shame! A fraction over 20% I think...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

The Bostal gets above 20% for a stretch just past the flat bit.

So does Cobb Lane.

And Yorkshill...which has 400m over 16%. 25% in places. Don't ever go there on purpose.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm watching too, where have you JCLs been all week? Admittedly I have only been watching because I have been sick most of this week. First proper sunshine and I am too ill to ride :down:

Should be a good one today, the racing has been good all the way through, with the GC so tight and a TT tomorrow there should be some fireworks. Not sure Quintana has the legs at the moment, think it will be Henao or Yates for the win (probably my heart talking rather than my head though).

I've had the same problem. Proper flu, was in bed for four/five days. Now seriously unfit again.

The weather's doing the old beautiful and still during the week, windy at weekends trick again :(

Mar 12, 2008
Love your enthusiasm [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]

You were very brave to take it on, respect! My skinny runt of a frame wouldn't last 5 mins on those cobbles. If I get any decent snaps I'll stick them up on here. I got Lars Boom at 25/1, he's down to 18/1 after his half decent shift at Flanders.

Enjoy the race!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fantastic stage. That looked bad that last climb, after his big effort it looked like Tony M was going to roll back down!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Fantastic stage. That looked bad that last climb, after his big effort it looked like Tony M was going to roll back down!

I wish they'd focused on his face as he went under the 1km to go thing (not a flamme rouge in Spain in my book). He really did look a bit spent, didn't he?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That was really really good. I sort of got it right. Yates and Henao 1 and 2, if you ignore the breakaway :dunce:

Thanks for the get well wishes, it is just a spot of flu (hopefully), I shall live. Unlikely to attend this evening though, it is on TV so I can watch at home.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Love your enthusiasm [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]

You were very brave to take it on, respect! My skinny runt of a frame wouldn't last 5 mins on those cobbles. If I get any decent snaps I'll stick them up on here. I got Lars Boom at 25/1, he's down to 18/1 after his half decent shift at Flanders.

Enjoy the race!

I was brave. [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] wasn't, as he didn't have a clue what he'd let himself into. :)

Have they got screens up at the Carrefour this year?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I wish they'd focused on his face as he went under the 1km to go thing (not a flamme rouge in Spain in my book). He really did look a bit spent, didn't he?

Yep, an awful lot of work from Martin for nothing gained by Kwiatkowski. Still Carlton thought it was a masterstroke of tactics...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

The Drove in Brighton is 20% for a short section, I've ridden up that a few times when I was young. Couldn't do it now, mainly because it is one way now :p

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've had the same problem. Proper flu, was in bed for four/five days. Now seriously unfit again.

The weather's doing the old beautiful and still during the week, windy at weekends trick again :(

At least I was unfit to begin with...

If I am better by Sunday I have a cheat in mind for a ride, we are going for lunch in Chichester with my girlfriends grand parents, train there then ride home with the wind at my back all the way. Happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah these answers me I can up 1% to 20 ish.

Steyning bostal would be my steepest.
I never got up Cobb Lane, back in the day.
I guess I should pop over again sometime this Summer.

When taking me to Box Hill later this season I'll be amazed if Colin was able to resist watching me die on Barhatch Lane.

Does anyone know how steep Lurgashall gets?
It's purely academic as I didn't make the last 50 yards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here