Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No, the big man got his first win of the season on Tuesday in the mother of all Monuments, the Circuit de la Sarthe (stage 1) :lolol:

Another rider whose big money move is paying off spectacularly...

I may have posted the link before but he really is a dick -

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/the-secret-pro-let-the-season-begin/

Blimey, Mr Astana got clobbered.

Was his fault for trying to go through a gap that wan't there

It really was the mother of all crashes!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-injury-after-scheldeprijs-crash-video-165793

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/scheldeprijs-finale-marred-by-mass-crash

Sir Bradley guessed that this was going to happen, apparently, and sat up. So, Roubaix is his. ;-)

Happens almost every year apparently. Kristoff was quite funny, he said races aren't dangerous, riders are. Basically its an easy race and everyone thinks they've got a chance because their legs are fresh....no-one had a chance yesterday except Kristoff!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Betancur update. 83rd today 20:52 down.

He could be this years Andy Schleck.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Change of plan, we're heading for Carrefour de l'Arbre now. It's closer to the finish so will hopefully be a bit more decisive in terms of the overall race. I've heard it gets quite rowdy there, should be fun!

When [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I cycled the Paris Roubaix sportive two years ago, the Arenberg was almost comical - we just put our heads down and went for it. It goes on forever, seemingly, but I remember being quite pleased with my time on it. Another friend had a fantastic fall to complete the whole Geraint Thomas experience, and another punctured. It was insane.

Bizarrely, having stopped to have a look/take photos before going for it, we saw Sean Kelly doing a short piece to camera on his bike, cycling slowly along the Arenberg. Unfortunately, the camera had been put away, and he didn't hang around long enough for us to 'get' him.

But at least the Arenberg was fairly 'early' in the sections - there are 28 sections of pave (I think), and it's about the tenth.

The Carrefour de l'arbre is the other five star rated pave section (they are all given star ratings based on their level of difficulty - 2 stars is hard/painful enough...). It is really near to the end, quite long, and absolutely brutal. The palms of my hands were already heavily blistered when we got there, and my forearms were agony, from the shaking that they had been given. Most of the rest of me hurt a great deal. I felt like crying as I cycled this section. It was horrible. Hamilton (who I had persuaded to join me, it was his first sportive :lolol:) told me that he hated me.

It will be a brilliant place to watch them shoot past you at the business end of the race. Enjoy!

I absolutely love Paris Roubaix.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The palms of my hands were already heavily blistered when we got there, and my forearms were agony, from the shaking that they had been given. Most of the rest of me hurt a great deal. I felt like crying as I cycled this section. It was horrible. Hamilton (who I had persuaded to join me, it was his first sportive :lolol:) told me that he hated me.

It will be a brilliant place to watch them shoot past you at the business end of the race. Enjoy!

I absolutely love Paris Roubaix.
Reading that's made my day, already.
You can't beat a ride that has you knocking on death's door.
Let alone THE ride to experience that sensation.
As always a green with envy chapeau, from me.

Now I can't work out which smilie to use:-

:bowdown:
:lol:
:rock:
:vuvu:

and for Hamilton
:safeway: :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Change of plan, we're heading for Carrefour de l'Arbre now. It's closer to the finish so will hopefully be a bit more decisive in terms of the overall race. I've heard it gets quite rowdy there, should be fun!

So jealous.

Until I got into cycling a few years back, I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of Paris Roubaix. Now, it is up there as one of the most eagerly anticipated sporting events in my annual calendar.

Carrefour de l'Arbre will be a great place to watch it. I think you'll have more space there than at the Arenberg. As [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] says, it just goes on and on. Brutal, evil, hideous, it simply shakes what little life is left in you out onto the cobbles. There are still sections after Carrefour, but once you've survived that you are ok. I was almost a deadman cycling over the remaining pavé. I don't think I noticed them anymore. I don't think I noticed anything. I was not the same man for a good few days afterwards!

You may be able to get down to Compiègne for the start and then drive up to there. When Pogue and I watched our coach driver managed to let us see the build up at Compiègne, then dropped us at a section halfway and again at the finish. It was truly superb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Harsh!

I didn't think it was bad for my first ever sportive!
I know, it's mentals enough doing it, but going in half blind is crazy, hence doubling down on the 'abuse', here's the :bowdown: you rightly deserve.

Did PM tell you 'this is one of the easier events' :lol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know, it's mentals enough doing it, but going in half blind is crazy, hence doubling down on the 'abuse', here's the :bowdown: you rightly deserve.

Did PM tell you 'this is one of the easier events' :lol:

In the words of Oliver Hardy...

"Why I oughta!"

:lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm watching too, where have you JCLs been all week? Admittedly I have only been watching because I have been sick most of this week. First proper sunshine and I am too ill to ride :down:

Should be a good one today, the racing has been good all the way through, with the GC so tight and a TT tomorrow there should be some fireworks. Not sure Quintana has the legs at the moment, think it will be Henao or Yates for the win (probably my heart talking rather than my head though).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm watching too, where have you JCLs been all week? Admittedly I have only been watching because I have been sick most of this week. First proper sunshine and I am too ill to ride :down:

Should be a good one today, the racing has been good all the way through, with the GC so tight and a TT tomorrow there should be some fireworks. Not sure Quintana has the legs at the moment, think it will be Henao or Yates for the win (probably my heart talking rather than my head though).

I've had it on all week, just didn't seem to be anyone talking about it. :shrug:

Henao has been impressive, although I thought he got it all wrong on Wednesday, although did you notice that the last bend it looked like the front group thought they were going straight on rather than left, Rodriguez seemed to get it all wrong.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I have watched every stage, but this is the first one that I've watched live as I have been out on my bike for the others. I finished watching yesterday's stage precisely 7 minutes before coverage of today's began!

This climb looks horrendous!

I also fancy Henao for this.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've had it on all week, just didn't seem to be anyone talking about it. :shrug:

Henao has been impressive, although I thought he got it all wrong on Wednesday, although did you notice that the last bend it looked like the front group thought they were going straight on rather than left, Rodriguez seemed to get it all wrong.

Unlike yesterday - he got it so right.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

By the way, hope it's nothing too serious, and that you are well enough to make it to the game tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here