Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Scummy bastardo :lol:

I just noticed The UK Cycling Tour Series, highlights are on ITV4, tonight at 10.

I'm sure 1066 will be watching! (in fairness I probably will)

Nope, I'll still be hard at work researching for tomorrows transfers I expect :p

Just finished watching today's stage highlights on Eurosport player. Bloody Kreuziger and Scarponi trying to break too ballsed up any chance Visconti had of grabbing me a stage win today - not that it ever looked likely though to be honest as he never got a big enough gap. In the end I'm pleased to come out of today's stage fairly unscathed as I didn't have big sprinters, although would have happily seen others take the points over me for the sake of another Cav victory.

Reading back today's posts, there's some interesting discussion about the nature of the grand tours. All I can say is that I'm totally loving watching my first full Giro. I really like the balls out unpredictable nature of it right from the off, and we haven't even got to the high mountains yet. I can now see exactly why all the serious cycling fans love the Giro over TdF. What I will say though is that some of these crazy bends so close to the finish line may offer excitement, but at what cost? Already Pozzato (yes, I had to get his name in somewhere again) has picked up a fractured wrist and had to withdraw, but soon there's going to be a really really nasty stack up that will see quite a few riders seriously hurt. If that's a lot of the top riders having to withdraw as a result of that stack up... well then it sort of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I did the Junior Tour of Austria in 1998 and got dropped on the climb. I knew I the only chance I had to get back on was on the descent as the race had been doing 50km/h on the flat all day. I decided that if everyone else could go that fast downhill then so could I - I think I had a nice brown streak in my chamois after that one. My computer had a maximum speed of 70mph! I suppose that's no surprise knowing what I know now as there was Cancellara, Boonen, Eisel and Pozzato in the field.

The worst bit was, as we hit the flat the whole team car line had stopped and the front rider didn't see it - I looked across to see this German kid go through the back of a stationary Volvo at 40mph and end up between the driver and passenger seat. Apparently he was in hospital for a month; still one of the most horrific things i've seen in real life.

Bloody hell, that sounds horrendous! I'm sure I heard a stat years ago about road cycling being the most dangerous professional sport there is in terms of fatalities. Not sure how true that is, but I can well believe it. Some of the speeds they reach on mountain descents are just plain crazy ! And add to that the race traffic, and as we saw last year in TdF it only takes one of those idiots to nearly end up finishing off a rider too. I take my hat off to any rider in a pro peleton, they really are a special breed.

All that said, sounds like you have some wonderful memories from your youth cycling career. Keep any stories you have coming, it's great getting a view from within.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nope, I'll still be hard at work researching for tomorrows transfers I expect :p

Just finished watching today's stage highlights on Eurosport player. Bloody Kreuziger and Scarponi trying to break too ballsed up any chance Visconti had of grabbing me a stage win today - not that it ever looked likely though to be honest as he never got a big enough gap. In the end I'm pleased to come out of today's stage fairly unscathed as I didn't have big sprinters, although would have happily seen others take the points over me for the sake of another Cav victory.

Reading back today's posts, there's some interesting discussion about the nature of the grand tours. All I can say is that I'm totally loving watching my first full Giro. I really like the balls out unpredictable nature of it right from the off, and we haven't even got to the high mountains yet. I can now see exactly why all the serious cycling fans love the Giro over TdF. What I will say though is that some of these crazy bends so close to the finish line may offer excitement, but at what cost? Already Pozzato (yes, I had to get his name in somewhere again) has picked up a fractured wrist and had to withdraw, but soon there's going to be a really really nasty stack up that will see quite a few riders seriously hurt. If that's a lot of the top riders having to withdraw as a result of that stack up... well then it sort of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Bloody hell! You're winning by over 100 points and you've never even watched the giro before!

Maybe I'll save a couple of world's related stories about wiggins for the tour.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only never watched the Giro because free to air TV doesn't cover it and I've never had or will have Sky. However I haven't regretted for a minute getting Eurosport player on my comp for it - Pantani is right you know, excellent value for the Giro :thumbsup: I'll unsubscribe once the Giro finishes I expect. Hopefully ITV will have the Vuelta this year again and who knows, maybe one day they will cover the Giro too. I love Phil & Paul for TdF on ITV. Best of all, I record every stage live whilst at work then watch it all back when I get in, skipping all the adverts.

Look forward to any Wiggins stories you have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing with these bloody finishes, is how pointless and completely unnecessary they are.

It's just adding that one last thing that ruins the whole effect.
Great racing over some really well mixed up terrain, screwed over by one last tweak.

Suffering up a mountain looks great.
But so does a rocket launched balls out sprint.

Is it just a reaction to Cav?
Were these finial bends in the Giro when Super Mario Cipollini, was tearing it a new one?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only never watched the Giro because free to air TV doesn't cover it and I've never had or will have Sky. However I haven't regretted for a minute getting Eurosport player on my comp for it - Pantani is right you know, excellent value for the Giro :thumbsup: I'll unsubscribe once the Giro finishes I expect. Hopefully ITV will have the Vuelta this year again and who knows, maybe one day they will cover the Giro too. I love Phil & Paul for TdF on ITV. Best of all, I record every stage live whilst at work then watch it all back when I get in, skipping all the adverts.

Look forward to any Wiggins stories you have.
The same goes for me, verbatim.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The thing with these bloody finishes, is how pointless and completely unnecessary they are.

It's just adding that one last thing that ruins the whole effect.
Great racing over some really well mixed up terrain, screwed over by one last tweak.

Suffering up a mountain looks great.
But so does a rocket launched balls out sprint.

Is it just a reaction to Cav?
Were these finial bends in the Giro when Super Mario Cipollini, was tearing it a new one?

Absolutely spot on !

I never really thought too much about the conspiracy theory though, but it does make you wonder.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely spot on !

I never really thought too much about the conspiracy theory though, but it does make you wonder.
I saw the whole Tony Bloom building the Amex, as cover for his attempt at world domination, through hypnotic mind-melding, conspiracy, long before anyone else.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well with such an ability, care to tell who's going to be in the break tomorrow, and better still, who'll grab the stage win ?

No transfers for me I think, so I can finally get two in the bank. Not much point in gambling in the hope of a cheap dom stage winner tomorrow. If I'm lucky, the early break may not go all the way and I might have a chance from a later break.

Edit: Changed me mind and made one transfer as it's so obvious it seems silly not to.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did some low money form juggling.
Will try and leave well alone now to go into Saturday with 4 transfers and money to burn.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Anyone else early looking forward to Saturday?

Also, on the Eurosport website is a feature about Wiggins thinking he can win the tour. Hmmmmmm...

He is getting better and better, so this years a good shot. What will be the end of him, is all my money loaded on him when he was 16 and 22 to 1.

Brailsford also said he would deliver a winner within 5 years when he set the team up and he delivers on his promises...

I wasnt thinking Saturday but bet I would be excited if I had a peek at whats to come, big lumps of rock in the North of Italy I presume

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
A very small image of Saturday to whet your whistle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337250802768.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337250802768.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 64

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Stuck at work on the mobile. Is that a video of the Stelvio?

Dont know its all in Italien, lots of dramacic music and an Italien man ranting away, I believe he is saying 'the mountains are coming, be afraid be very afaid (but tune in and watch lots pain - this Saturday - excluding about 3 mountain goats that actually seem to enjoy going up..).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here