Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Couldn't catch any today.

On another note, finally got round to trying to build up my De Rosa. What the hell is with these funny star shaped bolts on campag!

Well you didn't miss much. Kiryienka being a beast as ever and Wiggo showing off his new beard for a couple of km's pull at the front at the beginning of the climb. Felt strange seeing Scarponi in an Astana jersey. Another one of those transfers that I kept forgetting about. Mind you, I only just learnt the other day that Sky signed up Nieve way back in November! - not sure how I missed that one.

How far you got on the De Rosa? On the road for the Summer?

I haven't had the joys of the star shaped bolts yet, despite lots of tinkering. I changed the rear cassette myself and had the Lbs do the bottom bracket for me. Mind you, after a shock to the system going up Elphinstone Road this morning I might have to finally give in to fitting a compact to replace my standard 53/39 that keeps finding me out :( I might encounter those star shaped bolts there perhaps?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
How far you got on the De Rosa? On the road for the Summer?

I haven't had the joys of the star shaped bolts yet, despite lots of tinkering. I changed the rear cassette myself and had the Lbs do the bottom bracket for me. Mind you, after a shock to the system going up Elphinstone Road this morning I might have to finally give in to fitting a compact to replace my standard 53/39 that keeps finding me out :( I might encounter those star shaped bolts there perhaps?

Cables on but then snapped the headset clasp bolt. Have also dropped the crank bolt somewhere and can't find it!

Other than that, it's going well!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cables on but then snapped the headset clasp bolt. Have also dropped the crank bolt somewhere and can't find it!

Other than that, it's going well!

Oh dear. Not so good then.

Oh well, all the more satisfying when you finally get it done. Pics on here of the finished project I hope?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Some rather grim stats:

3 rides in my Venezuela jersey. 1 crash and 2 punctures.

2 rides in 2014 and 2 punctures.

:ffsparr:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I can't get my head around sky becoming the latest team to have their bikes stolen. It seems bizarre that teams have £250,000+ worth of kit locked inside an unguarded and fully branded van outside their hotel. Bizarre!

I see the Lampre-Merida bikes are now for sale on a Russian website. Clearly the thieves are professional. Wouldn't it be cheaper for the team's to employ a security guard out two, or spend a bit more on better security?

I wouldn't have thought that one-off fully branded bikes had that high a resale value - obviously not!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I can't get my head around sky becoming the latest team to have their bikes stolen. It seems bizarre that teams have £250,000+ worth of kit locked inside an unguarded and fully branded van outside their hotel. Bizarre!

I see the Lampre-Merida bikes are now for sale on a Russian website. Clearly the thieves are professional. Wouldn't it be cheaper for the team's to employ a security guard out two, or spend a bit more on better security?

I wouldn't have thought that one-off fully branded bikes had that high a resale value - obviously not!
Christain Knees isn't taking the theft lying down.

[tweet]437300739065778179[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
No sign of enhancements to the viewing experience is there? Mind you, reading the budget/cost for each day's coverage things like gradient/speed/cadence/gap changes on screen may we ages off. Shame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No sign of enhancements to the viewing experience is there? Mind you, reading the budget/cost for each day's coverage things like gradient/speed/cadence/gap changes on screen may we ages off. Shame.

As with most sports that have a pinnacle event new tech will only be bought in, with that in mind.
ASO will get there, bike/helmet cams might not be too far away, trialled in events like Paris-Nice.

I don't see Prudhomme or to a lesser extent Cookson so set in their ways, to undermine advancing the sport.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
scenery-21-660x440.jpg

Testing to put a pic of Mars (Oman) up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looking at that Oman pic.

Froomes attack yesterday on Green Mountain was stinging. Have to say though, TJVG looked in very good shape too, whilst Uran alongside him looked to be suffering.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
How's it down the Oman table in 6th then Mr Chaff?

I sat up a while ago - I have forgotten to pick a team for stages 1 and 6. In fact I forgot that the race was on/

It's the Tour of Oman. And it's the pinnacle of your season. Congratulations!

:p:p

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I sat up a while ago - I have forgotten to pick a team for stages 1 and 6. In fact I forgot that the race was on/

It's the Tour of Oman. And it's the pinnacle of your season. Congratulations!

:p:p

Yeah you're right. Only losers win it.

I mean, look at last year's winner. What did he do after that win. Nothing. No diddly squat. Er, oh, er hang on.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah you're right. Only losers win it.

I mean, look at last year's winner. What did he do after that win. Nothing. No diddly squat. Er, oh, er hang on.

Yeah, but this year's winner is an absolute no-hoper. We will never hear of him again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here