Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Skybet don't even have a book up yet, so I doubt there will be much movement yet.

Only Paddy Power with a book up so far as I can tell. Seems to be the norm - PP lead the way then all the others set their odds from them. That's the reason I reckon there's some good value to be had very early doors from them before odds start coming down once the full market opens up. Cycling betting still seems to be niche enough to get decent odds if you've half an idea of what you're looking for. Especially so on no mark races like these. Want to bet on the likes of Cav, Wiggins or Froome in any of the big races though - forget it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only Paddy Power with a book up so far as I can tell. Seems to be the norm - PP lead the way then all the others set their odds from them. That's the reason I reckon there's some good value to be had very early doors from them before odds start coming down once the full market opens up. Cycling betting still seems to be niche enough to get decent odds if you've half an idea of what you're looking for. Especially so on no mark races like these. Want to bet on the likes of Cav, Wiggins or Froome in any of the big races though - forget it.
T'is hard not to read that and sagely rub my chin mumbling Ryder Hesjedal, Amstel Gold. (use the search function and look it up kids). A near perfect storm of a coup. Curse you Pip Gilbert.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Very nice bikes there SB. What was the RRP on Bianca?

Synae is utterly filthy. Wheel left off to aid a fuller and easier clean. I just noticed the missing plastic sheet thing from next to the largest gear. Thieving buggers nicked it when they replaced my freehub.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very nice bikes there SB. What was the RRP on Bianca?

Synae is utterly filthy. Wheel left off to aid a fuller and easier clean. I just noticed the missing plastic sheet thing from next to the largest gear. Thieving buggers nicked it when they replaced my freehub.

Bianca, Bianca what's a Bianca!!!.

It was 4 figure expensive back in the day.
Those four figures may well need a 2 in front to replace it now.

Its showing its age now, not helped by 3 seperate clumsy and wholly avoidable acts, by me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sorry SB, I thought that was her name. Very well presented. Italian styling, best. Retro, better. Retro Italian unbeatable.

I'm looking out of the window at blue skies and I'm hacked off. Will not go out on synae 'til after her service. Will do some more cleaning tomorrow. Will repair the MTB puncture too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry SB, I thought that was her name. Very well presented. Italian styling, best. Retro, better. Retro Italian unbeatable.

I'm looking out of the window at blue skies and I'm hacked off. Will not go out on synae 'til after her service. Will do some more cleaning tomorrow. Will repair the MTB puncture too.
It ain't so old it's retro, you cheeky monkey!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Sky kit will be, very proudly, worn on the Colnago.

9 year old JCL's - what can I do :shrug:

I'd imagine I will be doing the same as last season.
That being bundling some old tat I've finished with(Charly Wegelius' excellent book) off to the winner.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone who likes a little bet and has a paddy power account - got on there NOW for some cracking early stage 1 Qatar odds! I'm tempted to close my account with the crap bookie I currently have and use the funds to open up an account with paddy power instead.

Kristoff - 14/1
Haussler - 66/1
Kruopis - 100/1
Barry Markus 100/1
Canc 100/1

If they'll give you e/w's then there's some serious value in there I reckon.

Tonight PP are now offering these odds:

Kristoff - still 14/1
Haussler - now 40/1
Kruopis - now 50/1
Barry Markus - now 50/1
Canc - now 80/1

Boonen has now come down to 6/1 from 8/1

I did get great value last night then . All of the above will probably go and crash now knowing my luck :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kristoff on the nose would now seem the better value.

Skybet still don't even have a book up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Svein Tuft
@SveinTuft
This isn't Svein Tuft. Svein doesn't have twitter yet – when he's ready, this account is all his. For now, this is info + news on Svein.
Canada · greenedgecycling.com

Nice one Svein :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Qatar team picked and no more tinkering:

It's the International Brigade:

A Bull Fight
Some Lederhosen
A Quality Watch
Some Lovely Chocolate
A Wooly Jumper
Some Wide Open Spaces
A Basketball
Some Steak
A Winter Olympics

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Stat's smashed their way round the Evans Sportive this morning.
I'm sure I saw an NSC cap blast past us, anyone here?

T'was a tad chilly, but at least it's less windy up North.

Loving Jnr's skills.

I worry that I'm too strict and take the 'fun' out of stuff.
Last season he was pretty dangerous on skinny wheels, without me 'barking' at him.
It was a little frustrating and hard to find any positives.

But his hard work has paid off and he rode the road very well, today. #proud-dad

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice work SB :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten all about it as I've almost gone into hibernation mode with this wind and rain. Got cold at the football yesterday too.

Meanwhile, from the comfort of indoors - Tour of Qatar live stream up now:

http://alfatv.webs.com/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And that is why betting is a mugs game.

Boonen & Barry Markus 1st & 2nd in the sprint. I had both - Barry Markus at 100/1 too.

Sadly the break takes it though by 6 seconds :facepalm:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Part 2 clean up synae done. Steam cleaner deployed. Chain off, cleaned and degreased. All bar front of bike cleaned up. Gutted that it sounds like I've glued sand to the cogs and chain. Ah well, given them something to do at the free service I suppose. Miffed that the rear tyre has quite a few areas of damage. No doubt I'll be advised to replace. MTB is as rough as anything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION]

I'm on the waiting list for The Puncheur - too much faffing around on my part owing to managing my son's U8's team. Anyway, I might get lucky if someone drops out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***STOP PRESS NEWS***

Hey geeks, I can actually call myself a cyclist, again.

Following yesterdays really successful sportive, I've actually got off my lazy fat ass and been on a bike ride.
Nothing too serious, as it was just to prove I could do it.
16 miles, 3 of which up cols!!, nothing Strava busting, but I'm back comfortably inside an hour, and am happy with that.

Fingers crossed I can kick on now, regain some fitness, and get a bit of control over my physique.

On and the roads are even worse than before, and that's saying something.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hello geeks, as a new cyclist I have an 'cycling etiquette' question.

When I am out on my steed, should I give a wave or friendly nod to other roadies? Living on the fringes of the Black Country, I have been conditioned not to make eye contact with strangers, as it may lead to getting stabbed. Anyway, waving or nodding to other cyclists isn't something I have done in the past, but I have read this blog and wondered whether I am being a little ignorant (from Rapha, so it is bound to be a little pretentious): Rapha: THE TICKET TO RIDE.

Also, I bought some new rubber for my steed at the weekend because the blue-walled tyres will look damn good with the blue trim on my bike, can't wait to get them on!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hello geeks, as a new cyclist I have an 'cycling etiquette' question.

When I am out on my steed, should I give a wave or friendly nod to other roadies? It isn't something I have done in the past, but have read this blog and wondered whether I am being a little ignorant (from Rapha, so it is bound to be a little pretentious): Rapha: THE TICKET TO RIDE.

Living on the fringes of the Black Country, I have been conditioned not to make eye contact with strangers, as it may lead to getting stabbed.

Also, I bought some new rubber for my steed at the weekend because the blue-walled tyres will look damn good with the blue trim on my bike, can't wait to get them on!

You must absolutely acknowledge fellows like yourself. This in my view is part of the way of life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here