Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hi Cyclists

I am doing a project around the London Olympic Velodrome and involving several Team GB Cyclists. This is part of a UK wide scheme called Legacy 300 which enables people to directly support Team GB Athletes and more importantly raise money for charities of their choosing. This is achieved through exclusive VIP sessions where you get to meet the Athletes whilst having fun participating in sporting activities.

If any of you guys, especially, those who work in London, would be interested in riding around the very expensive piece of real estate that is the Olympic Velodrome, a mere 11 times the cost of Newport and Manchester, in some fun competitions alongside GB Gold Medallists, Dani King, Pete Kennaugh, Geriant Thomas and Rebecca Romero I would be very happy to send you details and see if its a challenge you can take part in.

Full details of the London gigs can be found on www.docklandsgames.com and yes you can wear replica Jerseys...

UTA!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hi Cyclists

I am doing a project around the London Olympic Velodrome and involving several Team GB Cyclists. This is part of a UK wide scheme called Legacy 300 which enables people to directly support Team GB Athletes and more importantly raise money for charities of their choosing. This is achieved through exclusive VIP sessions where you get to meet the Athletes whilst having fun participating in sporting activities.

If any of you guys, especially, those who work in London, would be interested in riding around the very expensive piece of real estate that is the Olympic Velodrome, a mere 11 times the cost of Newport and Manchester, in some fun competitions alongside GB Gold Medallists, Dani King, Pete Kennaugh, Geriant Thomas and Rebecca Romero I would be very happy to send you details and see if its a challenge you can take part in.

Full details of the London gigs can be found on www.docklandsgames.com and yes you can wear replica Jerseys...

UTA!

I would fall off trying to impress Dani King or G. Its a fantastic venue that I am looking forward to being in for the Revolution meet in March, lets hope we see a few just giving pages popping up here, I reckon Stat could give Kennaugh a run for his money over 250...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good final 10km in Dubai today, well worth a look.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I would fall off trying to impress Dani King or G. Its a fantastic venue that I am looking forward to being in for the Revolution meet in March, lets hope we see a few just giving pages popping up here, I reckon Stat could give Kennaugh a run for his money over 250...

I get to see it Monday...will post photo...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know it's really early in the season and you can't really take too much in terms of form for the season from these money in the desert events, but have to say I think this season could be the real breakthrough season for Kittel. Cav is really going to have his work cut out, even with Renshaw back by his side, and is probably now facing the most serious threat to his dominance since he became THE man to beat.

I see Oman throws up some interesting conundrums for a fantasy purist team pick now that they have an ITT in there for the first time. As Phinney is showing in Dubai, GC is probably decided on the ITT stage. Wonder why he isn't going straight from Dubai to Oman like Cancellara is?

So, do you go GC points with TT'ers who will also be up there in the sprints?, or do you go pure sprinters who will hold there own on such a short flat TT? Throw crosswinds into the equation too and it could be an interesting race. Perhaps Classics riders who can make the selection in any echelons and pull out a half decent sprint and good short TT could be the way to go?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm planning to repair synae's puncture after this cup of coffee, Out of interest, how much of a bike could you put in a dishwasher? I'm feeling a bit lazy at the mo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I reckon Stat could give Kennaugh a run for his money over 250...
Clearly Kennaugh is a soft target, where's the fun in lapping him.
But the consequences of G being lapped by a fat bloke who's crammed a pie into his bidon could be catastrophic.
Not only to Team Sky but the entire professional peloton.

So for that reason, I'm out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
...Out of interest, how much of a bike could you put in a dishwasher? I'm feeling a bit lazy at the mo.

Funny you should say that. We recently got a little steam cleaner. It got me thinking...as they steam clean car engines, I wonder how much a bike you could steam clean? Would giving the rear cassette a good blast for example clean it right up without damaging it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's really early in the season and you can't really take too much in terms of form for the season from these money in the desert events, but have to say I think this season could be the real breakthrough season for Kittel. Cav is really going to have his work cut out, even with Renshaw back by his side, and is probably now facing the most serious threat to his dominance since he became THE man to beat.
I'm not too sure 'breakthrough' is the word I'd use to describe multiple Grand Tour stage winner Kittel's forthcoming season.

I think what this season may well do is marginalise Greipel.
Kittel can beat Cav, and visa-versa, but as you say, for how much longer.
Greipel has no real hold over either, and is definitely going to be riding for scraps.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone who likes a little bet and has a paddy power account - got on there NOW for some cracking early stage 1 Qatar odds! I'm tempted to close my account with the crap bookie I currently have and use the funds to open up an account with paddy power instead.

Kristoff - 14/1
Haussler - 66/1
Kruopis - 100/1
Barry Markus 100/1
Canc 100/1

If they'll give you e/w's then there's some serious value in there I reckon.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Funny you should say that. We recently got a little steam cleaner. It got me thinking...as they steam clean car engines, I wonder how much a bike you could steam clean? Would giving the rear cassette a good blast for example clean it right up without damaging it?

I've used one on my MTB before. Provided you don't poke it right in somewhere and blast it in, should be fine. Makes a mess though. Put something on the carpet just in case even if your Mrs ain't looking.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not too sure 'breakthrough' is the word I'd use to describe multiple Grand Tour stage winner Kittel's forthcoming season.

I think what this season may well do is marginalise Greipel.
Kittel can beat Cav, and visa-versa, but as you say, for how much longer.
Greipel has no real hold over either, and is definitely going to be riding for scraps.

I mean 'breakthrough' in terms of establishing a reign of dominance. A dawn of a new era type 'breakthrough' as it were.

Not breakthrough in the sense of able to get stage wins in the big races against the big guns. As you say, he's already jumped that hurdle.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've used one on my MTB before. Provided you don't poke it right in somewhere and blast it in, should be fine. Makes a mess though. Put something on the carpet just in case even if your Mrs ain't looking.

It would be strictly out in the garden and well away from the washing line :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The boyz are back together for the first time, in a long time:-

bikes.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who likes a little bet and has a paddy power account - got on there NOW for some cracking early stage 1 Qatar odds! I'm tempted to close my account with the crap bookie I currently have and use the funds to open up an account with paddy power instead.

Kristoff - 14/1
Haussler - 66/1
Kruopis - 100/1
Barry Markus 100/1
Canc 100/1

If they'll give you e/w's then there's some serious value in there I reckon.

Kruopis at 100/1 stands out there, as you say esp EW.

I'd warn against leaving your 'crap bookie' (cough Skybet cough) for one that gives appealing odds.
The only thing that stops me betting is the fact that my account is with Skybet, and there's never anything tempting.
I've probably saved a fortune!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm planning to repair synae's puncture after this cup of coffee, Out of interest, how much of a bike could you put in a dishwasher? I'm feeling a bit lazy at the mo.
I'd need an industrial sized unit to clean my other Bianchi.
I meant to do a full strip down T-Cut clean over Christmas, but never got round to it.
Half team is my next chance, as it needed it at Christmas imagine what it looks like now. :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kruopis at 100/1 stands out there, as you say esp EW.

I'd warn against leaving your 'crap bookie' (cough Skybet cough) for one that gives appealing odds.
The only thing that stops me betting is the fact that my account is with Skybet, and there's never anything tempting.
I've probably saved a fortune!!

Thanks SB, this could be the lucky sign I was after. Got a £20 free bet to use up on Paddy Power now and was just coming back to see what the geeks thought. Kruopis was my preferred choice (him or Markus, but I think Kruopis will cope better if winds play a part) but was prepared to be persuaded. Now you've made my mind up already :thumbsup:

I'm glad I've made the switch. I'm quite capable of restraint and was in profit from last season anyway :)

Edit: Won't let me do the Kruopis free bet. £20 must be used in it's entirety and max bet is £8.28 :(

I could do with using it tonight before the odds start shortening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think I picked Marckus in my regular Fantasy team, poor fella.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think I picked Marckus in my regular Fantasy team, poor fella.

Well that's one of my bets up the swanny already then :(

Going to give that £20 bet a think through seeing as I can't get Kruopis, and hope the odds are still the same tomorrow for most riders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Skybet don't even have a book up yet, so I doubt there will be much movement yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here