Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Trying to promote the Haywards Heath bike ride finding a lot of guys have not got going this season as its to cold ,ride on some warmer weather? Trying to beat last year entree just under a 1,000 good effort.

Yup I am one of those guys, just too damn cold and windy to feel the inclination to get out there. Going up to Surrey this weekend for my first proper ride out. I really wish (even though I imagine it's the dullest thing ever) I had brought a turbo trainer as the length of the English winter seems to be getting stupidly long

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Come on geeks. Who is watching the morning stage of de Panne? Surely I'm not the only one who is that geeky to be watching this.

We have a five man break including Russell Downing, who just go caught at a level crossing wiping out a minute of their 1 minute 30 lead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on geeks. Who is watching the morning stage of de Panne? Surely I'm not the only one who is that geeky to be watching this.

We have a five man break including Russell Downing, who just go caught at a level crossing wiping out a minute of their 1 minute 30 lead.
Sorry back off to work, you're on your own big boy.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sorry back off to work, you're on your own big boy.

I'm supposed to be at work too, delayed my arrival to after the cycling though. The advantages of effectively being your own boss, sort of.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm watching but had to pause it for a telephone call so am probably 20mins behind, so no spoilers please!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Another exciting finish, loved the bunny-hopping over the tram lines as the lead out trains started to form. Looked like Cav and the team probably put a little bit too much in yesterday, but weren't far behind today.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Another exciting finish, loved the bunny-hopping over the tram lines as the lead out trains started to form. Looked like Cav and the team probably put a little bit too much in yesterday, but weren't far behind today.

Just written an analysis and realised I was spoiler tastic. I'll wait until those who are working have seen the highlights before further comment.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just written an analysis and realised I was spoiler tastic. I'll wait until those who are working have seen the highlights before further comment.

Good point. I have obviously made a slight spoiler, however you'd be mad to visit the Geeks thread prior to catching up on some highlights wouldn't you!?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good point. I have obviously made a slight spoiler, however you'd be mad to visit the Geeks thread prior to catching up on some highlights wouldn't you!?

Most of us would think that, yes. However...

Can one of you fellas trawl the usual sites for highlights.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about and would like to keep it that way, until I press play.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right ho chaps. Today was bone dry and light when I went out. Cold, but otherwise perfect in comparison to recent weeks. Decided to drop down a cog or 2 and give myself more of a cardio workout. Also managed to avoid bottom gear for all the climbs. Dry roads gave me confidence to let the brakes off more on the descents. Felt some cramping when I stood out the saddle in the final quarter, but not too bad. Outcome? 7.5 mins of my best time.

You guys know the Beacon, but I don't. We always have a day in Brighton in the holidays, so today I detoured on our way in to have a look. Looks pretty vertical as you zoom in doesn't it? My North Down climbs have a lot more of a build up, so was not expecting the suddenness here. I didn't find it too steep, but it keeps coming. I can see why it is said to catch many by surprise, especially with tired legs. Seeing it will certainly help me focus in my prep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right ho chaps. Today was bone dry and light when I went out. Cold, but otherwise perfect in comparison to recent weeks. Decided to drop down a cog or 2 and give myself more of a cardio workout. Also managed to avoid bottom gear for all the climbs. Dry roads gave me confidence to let the brakes off more on the descents. Felt some cramping when I stood out the saddle in the final quarter, but not too bad. Outcome? 7.5 mins of my best time.

You guys know the Beacon, but I don't. We always have a day in Brighton in the holidays, so today I detoured on our way in to have a look. Looks pretty vertical as you zoom in doesn't it? My North Down climbs have a lot more of a build up, so was not expecting the suddenness here. I didn't find it too steep, but it keeps coming. I can see why it is said to catch many by surprise, especially with tired legs. Seeing it will certainly help me focus in my prep.
There's opportunities to ride it smart.

Obviously the very inside is the steepest, so don't box yourself in there.
If you are early enough and it's not clogged with walkers, use the whole road.
A neat trick if you are flagging is to come out wide and cut each bend, you will momentarily be going down hill, it'll be just enough to catch some momentum.

Eat and drink a couple of miles before Ditchling village.
Regulate your breathing from The Bull. - nose mouth, decent lung fulls without getting silly.
Be in your lowest gears right from the start.
Tap out a rhythm, concentrate on that linking it to your breathing. (no short sharp breaths)
Stay in the saddle at least for the first half.
Concentrate on the road, not the climb.
With a third to go, you can decide to stick or bust. (I suggest you stick and just tap it out to the summit, it being your first time over).

The descent down Coldean Lane is very rapid.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cheers SB. I'm not expecting to have the luxury of much space though.

Right call to go out yesterday, snowing lightly today. Aim to go out for a bonus ride on Monday now.

The used GE200s go for £65 to £80 plus of course £7 for post and fees. Halfords are the cheapest, £93 new right now. I guess they are the brand. Seeing my times fall, I like the idea of seeing how I compare 'live' on the bike, so I am getting a little more interested. Anyone have any experience of the Bryton Rider 20T GPS/HRM? Nothing on the bay. I guess they are not a cool brand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 x Belgiumers
1 x Saganish
1 x Baconer
1 x Cheque
1 x Hollandaise
1 x Brit
1 x Frog
1 x Multi-functional pen knife (I'm struggling now)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Old skool

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Is it me, or did the riders look more muscular then?

Just revisited the 94 coverage. Think they went up DB faster than I'd go down it. Man they pulled the pin after that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've swapped 5 riders out for tomorrow. Could be a gamble, maybe not, it's a classic, so who knows? Slightly perturbed that I've ended up with 3 Frenchies now though and just finished watching Jour de fete. Hope I don't end up with a comedy of errors tomorrow.

Anyone know what time can we expect to see live coverage?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've swapped 5 riders out for tomorrow. Could be a gamble, maybe not, it's a classic, so who knows? Slightly perturbed that I've ended up with 3 Frenchies now though and just finished watching Jour de fete. Hope I don't end up with a comedy of errors tomorrow.

Anyone know what time can we expect to see live coverage?

Again I would think loads of us have the same riders. Sagan is a no brainer, Spartacus at that price likewise. A frenchman usurping a flemish hero would also seem an obvious pick to me. After that I would imagine some variety but we shall all be close I think. Hopefully I will be able to overtake the Mrs at least.

As for live coverage it starts really early. Eurosport starts at 11.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Again I would think loads of us have the same riders. Sagan is a no brainer, Spartacus at that price likewise. A frenchman usurping a flemish hero would also seem an obvious pick to me. After that I would imagine some variety but we shall all be close I think. Hopefully I will be able to overtake the Mrs at least.

As for live coverage it starts really early. Eurosport starts at 11.

I can certainly see most of us all having the three you mention, plus our cheap Frenchie is probably in everyone's team too. Beyond that though there's probably a good 2 dozen riders to pick from with a decent chance, but not easy to afford everyone you might want. I've gone for a little eachway fun again too, but this time on a Dutchman and a smaller stake as I'm not as convinced as I was last time.

Thanks for the start time. Must remember those clocks going forward too :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here