Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How does wiki help?

Palmares for starters is always good to know. Often gives rider type too, and of course age, plus usually some career background. All for useful info on those Doms that you haven't got a clue about.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well I managed to off load 3 potential no pointers for 3 probable no pointers who have won Giro stages.

And that too of course :lol:

Means you can wile away endless hours researching to still end up with a load of old rubbish. But the satisfaction is in the trying :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good news.
As James Murdoch has been shifted over to NY, I wondered if Team Sky might be in trouble.

Bike News Round-up: British Cycling And Sky Extend Partnership Until 2016 - BikeRadar

Largest ever' team trial set for Silverstone this summer

A 50 team, 9-up team time trial will be hosted by Bicester Millenium Cycling Club at Silverstone motorsport circuit on Friday 10 August. The club believe it’s the only amateur event of its kind in the UK and could be the largest TTT ever held. Teams will race across three laps (approximately 11 miles) of the circuit at one-minute intervals. Racing begins at 7pm.
Invitations are limited to British Cycling affiliated clubs, professional and semi-professional teams, MotoGP, Formula One and the Armed Forces, with 40 teams confirming interest so far. Each team will be assigned a pit lane garage for pre-race preparation, with road bikes permitted for racing only. All proceeds from the event will be distributed to charities local to the circuit and Help for Heroes. Email racing@bmcc2000.com to register your interest. Welcome to Bicester Millennium Cycling Club

TEAM NSC?
It'll be an easy way to turn pro for next year, and compete in Le Tour '13.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So I take it Nibali is confirmed now as not riding and Basso leading Liquigas then ?

That seems really odd to me when he's clearly more suited to the Giro than TdF.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
So I take it Nibali is confirmed now as not riding and Basso leading Liquigas then ?

That seems really odd to me when he's clearly more suited to the Giro than TdF.

Basso is definitely leading the Giro. I would have expected Nibali to be the Giro leader, but if Basso is going to retire this year it would be a nice touch to give him the lead rider status for his home tour. Not that there's much space for sentiment in cycling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite a few good Doms for the TT but struggling with my star riders. If only you could balance out your Doms and star riders how you like instead of being stuck with 4 + 5.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite a few good Doms for the TT but struggling with my star riders. If only you could balance out your Doms and star riders how you like instead of being stuck with 4 + 5.
I found my stars quite straight forward, as my incredibly low scoring will prove.
I'll have to change 3 around through 5 & 6, settling into a GC team, then.
I've copied Woodchip, re doms plenty of Italians with Giro stage wins on their Palmares.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've scoured the results of prologues this season to pick my team and found a few dom bargains. All my eggs have gone in to the time trial basket apart from a couple of sprinters. I want a strong start, then some predictable sprint wins in the next few stages :wink:.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You've gone for Cav then. lol

I thought the winking smiley was subtle :lolol:

Can't see past him for the sprints though, Greipel is the only one who normally gets close and he isn't there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've only gone for 1 prologue rider, who'll be doing a job anyway.

Cav for the first week.
A couple of possible GC ers
And some better than usual dom's.

My plan is to go full on GC in weeks 2 & 3, but not have to 'sacrifice' my transfers.
As I'll be using them to chase jerseys.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've scoured the results of prologues this season to pick my team and found a few dom bargains. All my eggs have gone in to the time trial basket apart from a couple of sprinters. I want a strong start, then some predictable sprint wins in the next few stages :wink:.

Certainly some really good bargain doms for the prologue - so much so in fact, that I would have preferred to have 6 doms for this to leave my budget more favourable for the 2 changes I'll be making for stage 1. I too have gone strong for the TT, but also left room for my 2 changes for stage 2. I also have my 2 changes planned for stage 3 as well, assuming everything goes according to plan of course. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lot of tinkering going on chaps.
I'm expecting some big scores tomorrow!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just got "Overcoming" through from Lovefilm. Perfect pre-Giro viewing I think.

If anyone hasn't watched it here's my brief review (now on Love.film)

The first half the film is very hard to follow as it flits between training sessions and the TdF. If you can stick through that then the rest of the film is quite rewarding. As another reviewer says, it does get difficult to keep up with the captions and subtitles so you need the pause button at the ready.

In brief, if you're not a huge cycling fan then you probably won't enjoy this film. If you long for the day you can afford to follow The Tour around in a campervan then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here