Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I want one of these. There would be no chance of any SMIDSY from blind tin-canners.

20100923-santini-retro-mapei-cycling-jersey.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get off Prendas now, it will cost you a fortune..

(I got my z team jersey from there)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched today's Tour of Romandy highlights.

LL Sanchez had a good team around him today to get him back onto the lead group on that long descent and then have two riders around him for the sprint finish. Fair play to Richie Porte for all his hard work for Brad today though.

As SB says, 9 seconds on a relatively short TT could be a tough ask. I think it's going to be very close, which sets up some great viewing tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the 2/3rds split Wiggins is in control.
Why did I ever doubt him.

Top work Brad, 2 for 2 stage 5 day races.

I'm still not going to tip him for Le Tour, out of habit!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Do we dare believe? The greatest cyclist these islands has ever produced IS GETTING BETTER!
I always believed this country would never produce a Tour winner but he may not need to be a world beater in the mountains if he can do the damage in the TTs then with a strong climbing team around him just STAY with the climbers when it gets high. Winning spring tours though is an incredible step forward but I'm not sure where Cavendish fits in. It is SURELY impossible to support both green and yellow contenders. Maybe not if you split the team down the middle. What a Tour this is going to be. Le Tour 2012 will top the bill for me this summer, only a Murray final, England semi's , Westwood win or GB third in the Olympic table will come anywhere close.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The fact Wiggins had to be helped off the bike shows how much he gave. He would have annihilated the field if it weren't for the mechanical.

Just finished watching. This sums it all up nicely for me.

Well done Brad :clap2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do we dare believe? The greatest cyclist these islands has ever produced IS GETTING BETTER!
I always believed this country would never produce a Tour winner but he may not need to be a world beater in the mountains if he can do the damage in the TTs then with a strong climbing team around him just STAY with the climbers when it gets high. Winning spring tours though is an incredible step forward but I'm not sure where Cavendish fits in. It is SURELY impossible to support both green and yellow contenders. Maybe not if you split the team down the middle. What a Tour this is going to be. Le Tour 2012 will top the bill for me this summer, only a Murray final, England semi's , Westwood win or GB third in the Olympic table will come anywhere close.
Put it this way.
The parcours will never favour Brad this much again, in his racing life.
It's now or never, and he knows it.

Richie Porte and Chris Froome will be invaluable to Brad.
But you are right the team (Brad) doesn't need the Cav distraction.

I can't see Sky doing an HTC train for him, or Cav riding solo.
So there will have to be a division of labour and that's what could trip them up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Put it this way.
The parcours will never favour Brad this much again, in his racing life.
It's now or never, and he knows it.

Richie Porte and Chris Froome will be invaluable to Brad.
But you are right the team (Brad) doesn't need the Cav distraction.

I can't see Sky doing an HTC train for him, or Cav riding solo.
So there will have to be a division of labour and that's what could trip them up.

I agree with this. An embarrassment of riches could end up back firing on them. Let's bloody hope not.

Perhaps though all Brad ultimately needs above all else when the going gets tough is a Pierre Rolland like DS who was absolutely immense last year for Voeckler. After his superb showing in the Vuelta last year, is Chris Froome that man I wonder ?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The only thing for me that could top Bradley winning the tour is England winning the Euro's. Living in a country with such a rich history in cycling I've been waiting for years for bragging rights! Our track success has been great but I'm having the time of my life since Brad and Cav have come on the road scene. Especially as Bradley was born here!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'll need more than one, though.
Rolland alone wasn't enough, that and some dodgy decision making kept TV off the podium.

It looks like Porte and Froome will be up for the scrap, with Froome being a nice backup card.

But all I said about BW and this parcours also applies to Cadel, who will have 8 riders at his disposal.
At some point this tour there will be a 9 man BMC train, and Sky just won't be able to match that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and [MENTION=20783]Marxo[/MENTION] if our dream does become reality you'd better pop down the offie and get a few beers in.
Cos when Brad hits town, there ain't gonna be much left.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok but don't say you haven't been warned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bought a z jersey as well. Had one of the originals and wore it solidly for about a year when I was 8! Greg LeMond was my hero.
It's a weirdly beautiful thing, my wearing stems from Robert Millar.

I could also add to the Prendas shopping list:-
Bianchi white world champion jersey.
Winter socks
Over socks
Base layer
Prendas cap

I think that's it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
My main worry is that when it has got steep , so far Wiggins has been dropped. In the Vuelta big names were missing and the same could be said of these spring tours but there will also be big climbers missing this year.
Could it be that Sky have agreed with Cav for him to play second fiddle this year, with perhaps just Thomas and one other as support? Wiggins MUST take priority and that will mean him basically not participating in team TTs, sprint trains and flat stages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here