Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great, no effort, no spend and close to my best result of the season.
Even more so had I been able to put NSC's finest in, first thing this morning.

It's a funny old game that's for sure.

The weather was atrocious there today, only 54 riders finished the race! Quite a few tumbles on the descents and one of those tumbles led to Gilbert calling it a day. He fell on the descent of Sormano and there's some nasty pictures of his blood stained Rainbow jersey and snapped off fronts forks. Luckily he's fine though and nothing broken, but Ballan who fell with him retired scared from the race after that, and I can't say I blame him.

I'm well happy for J Rod taking victory, even though I didn't have him in my team. Pleased to have 7 of my riders finish the race, but some just missed the top 20 and so I only got 4 scoring riders so I didn't pick up many points today. Unfortunately we didn't get to see J Rod's attack on the final climb as the helicopters couldn't get pictures and all we saw of the closing moments of the race was brief glimpses of him powering home on the last 3k to stay away for victory.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My mistake. This is Ballan's bike with the snapped forks Ballan.jpg

Here's Phil's Jersey. Looks like his knickers next to them. perhaps he put them there to show he's a real man as there's no brown marks in there as a result of the crash :lol:Gilbert.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It certainly sounds like a nasty one.
Don't tell us you dipped out of the Albion to watch a race that couldn't be covered because of the weather!

6 of my 8 finished in total.

2nd, 4, 11, 14

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It certainly sounds like a nasty one.
Don't tell us you dipped out of the Albion to watch a race that couldn't be covered because of the weather!

6 of my 8 finished in total.

2nd, 4, 11, 14

I certainly did dip out of our game today and not in the slightest bit disappointed that I did to be honest. To be truthful, I've done a lot of away's in recent seasons too and sometimes I'm happy for a break. I saw all of the race from about 2pm onwards, only missing most of that final 9k because of the weather blocking coverage. But they did get the last kilometer or so covered ok.

I had our game on the radio afterwards and it sounded pretty flat. The better half took our 2 youngest instead today for her first trip to The Amex and a debut game for our very youngest. Shame about the floodlight delay. They still haven't arrived home yet as they were on the 9.05pm train out of Lewes. Given the choice she'll probably say she preferred Withdean after today :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am top of the league, say I am top of the league.

And will be for the next 3 months :lol:

x

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Was on holiday so couldn't pick a team for lombardy. I was solidly 4th overall whatever though.

Read Hamilton's book whilst away. Was interesting to hear things on that much details. I did feel, however, that he felt depressed etc. from having to keep secrets not any actual regret of doping. At least Millar explained very clearly how much better he felt racing clean, there's no real sense of that from Hamilton.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well played on Lombardia SB :clap2: They took their time getting the scores up...probably had to keep rechecking as they couldn't believe SB had actually won something :lol:

I read The Guardian interview with Tyler Hamilton. If the bit about the fridge is true then that's very alarming! I might have to get a few books in for winter to keep me ticking over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't quite put my finger on why I'm pretty non plused by TH's book.
Maybe it'll get to the answer by rambling on:-

I've read a few snippets and obviously The Sunday Times has been reporting LA with glee.
But I think it's just so very wrong.
'Oh look at me I've got all this exact detail but, I'll only ever use it for my personal gain'.
'Oh I definitely would have stood up for Emma O' Reilly had I know she was being abused'.
'I feel so much better for speaking the truth'.

I don't really want to know how bent the system was, and it seems a little goulish to be 'enjoying' to gory details.

I guess after the summer of success, which I believe in, I don't want to go baqck there now.
Maybe one day I will, just not now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To stop withdrawal symptoms setting in I struck whilst the iron's hot today and treated myself to a couple of books. I chose Nicholas Roche's highly original titled - Inside The Peloton. Also bought Cav's - Boy Racer. Started on Roche's book already whilst my boy, needless to say, chose to start with Cav's book.

I discovered a fellow cycling fan amongst one of the kids football dads recently too. He's just read Millar's book so I'm hoping he hasn't read the other Millar book - In Search of Robert Millar - so I can organise a swapsie.

Edit: Sorry if this is beginning to sound a bit like a boring blog, but just had to say that balance bikes are bloody excellent! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That final paragraph is a surprise. I almost thought Bernie came with Cav as part of the 'package'.
A la 'lympics he'll probably still ride for Cav, no matter what teams they are on!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I saw a thread yesterday on the other place polling opinion on next years Giro route. You had to rate it out of 10. Needless to say there was plenty of miserable gits giving it a 4 and I don't think I saw anything over a 6 after a few pages in so I just gave up reading the thread in the end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Lance effect.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't do a search of the forum at the moment, so will ask on here anyway (I'm sure it's probably somewhere amoung the 2.5k posts), but anyone using Strava at all?

If you are, I'd be interested in following you on it if you ride around Sussex as it's really good to see what routes other people are doing. I'm mainly doing a Shoreham - Henfield - Dyke loop at the moment, plus occasional climbs up Ditchling Beacon (outside busy spells - wouldn't want to annoy the drivers :wink:).

Anyway, if you are on it and you don't mind being 'followed' send me a pm with your link. Would be good to see how fellow NSC'ers are doing in the saddle...wouldn't it!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here