Gulab Jamun.

That is all.

:drool:

SCENES!!

although very sickly

gulab_jamun_001.jpg

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Mini Thali from Chappan Bhog behind the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. HQ.

*kisses finger and thumb - mwwoah*

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I cook me own.

Lightly fry some onions, with some chopped garlic and ginger.

Stir in...
1tsp ground cumin
2tsp ground coriander
2tsp ground fenugreek
2tsp ground turmeric
2tsp garam masala
1tsp chilli powder
Salt and ground pepper

Then toss in some chopped potatoes, a shitload of peas and two can of tomatoes. Stir in, cover, turn the heat down and leave to cook for 40 mins, stirring occasionally.

Rice
Lightly fry some onions and garlic. Stir in
1/2tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp garam masala
4 or 5 cardamom pods

Stir, toss in the Basmati rice, stir again, then bit by bit add a couple of pints of Oxo chicken stock. Add more when necessary. Throw in optional chopped vegetables (peas, mushrooms, peppers) to taste. Cover, reduce the heat, stir occasionally for about 20 minutes until ready.

Then some bread. Stir in some bread flour with some salt and garam masala, with a couple of teaspoon of ghee or olive oil and warm water. Knead until dough like. Heat some oil until very hot. Take a small break off of dough, flatten it until it is about 1/2in thick and about 3 or 4 inches round, and fry for about 30 seconds each side. Remove and repeat until all the dough has gone.

Peasy.

The good thing about doing your own is you can choose your own strength and taste.

That looks fabulous, I may well try that one my self.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Chicken Tikka is a Punjabi dish (I believe) - pieces of chicken marinated in curd and spices, roast in a tandoor oven then served with raitha.

It was (allegedly, probably an urban myth) some plonker in the UK who decided to smother this loveliness in bland sauce and call it Chicken Tikka Masala.

Onion bhajee may or may not be British, but it is based on Pakoras, which are very much Indian.

That sounds right actually.

The TV show Deli Belly (my mother is a bit of a foodie) mentioned that Onion Bhajee isn't indian.

Chicken Tikka Masala is a (legend has it) Scottish dish, where customers wanted a Chicken Tikka (the indian dish) with a Masala (the spice mix) that wasn't dry, and thus the Chicken Tikka was born.

Pinkie

Feb 22, 2009
I love curry but I feel I have to have lots of different dishes - so, the more the merrier. My current standard is tandoori chicken, a bit of Chicken Tikka Masala, a good, dark hot lamb curry, and then f*** loads of sidies: tadka dal, bombay aloo, tomato bhajee, sag bhajee etc etc. Must have plain nan and loads of pilau. Yum yum yum yum yum. Thank God it is almost Friday!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You LOVE them. I LOVE them.

I got back from the pub last nite and absolutely felt the need to DEMOLISH a Chicken Dansak...so it got me thinking what are the great and the good of NSC's favourites???

I am surprised you had another ruby after your 'Dheli Belly' last Friday mate

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Large Cobra
Chicken Dupiaza
Pilau rice
Bombay Aloo
Onion Bhaji
Stuffed Paratha
Poppadoms
Sprinkle with Onion salad
A big dollop of Lime Pickle
Another large Cobra

Happy days!

:love:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Yes... Mithai, are Indian Sweets. Ever been to Bricklane in London? They have a shop or two along there that when i was younger, and got taken to London and we went there to eat, we went past and they have all these differant colours. They are very heavy though, and often too sweet for us brits, (being milk and flour based makes them a very heavy end to a meal) Plus Kulfi, which is what you see frozen at most british places, but it does exsist in India.

As for the perfect Chicken Tikka, isn't Chicken Tikka a British curry (much like the Onion Bhajee isn't actually indian, but british)? Or is that Masala. I forget.

I'm partial to a lamb Korma, because its coconut based, and rich and creamy. I've eaten hotter dishes, and sometimes find that the heat kills the flavour. So i constantly return to the Korma for flavour!:love::love:

i know what you saying about the indian sweets, there's a couple of those shops in Normanton (Asian shopping area in Derby) i've tried the sweets in there and although they are very nice and sweet, u wouldn't want to many of them or you'd feel sick.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I like to make my own Goan style vindaloo (i.e. proper vindaloo), or a nice thai green curry.

Onion bhajis are also really easy to make. Slice some onions and add some salt, garam masala and turmeric. Put in a bowl with some gram(chickpea) flour and leave for half an hour for the flour to draw the moisture from the onion. You should be able to mix so a batter forms around the onions. Now just deep fry till golden brown

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
If I'm treating myself (which I do like to do) then Prawn Puri to start, Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala special fried rice for main from Ganjes in Hove. That's livin alright!

BTW does ANYONE have a dessert? In all my time eating indian food I've never seen anyone order one. The selection is always the same, world over, and they all have the appearence of having been at the bottom of a freezer since time began.

the reason u dont tend to get desserts in indian restaurants/takeaways is by the time you've had your meal there's no room left, well thats usually the case

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes... Mithai, are Indian Sweets. Ever been to Bricklane in London? They have a shop or two along there that when i was younger, and got taken to London and we went there to eat, we went past and they have all these differant colours. They are very heavy though, and often too sweet for us brits, (being milk and flour based makes them a very heavy end to a meal) Plus Kulfi, which is what you see frozen at most british places, but it does exsist in India.

As for the perfect Chicken Tikka, isn't Chicken Tikka a British curry (much like the Onion Bhajee isn't actually indian, but british)? Or is that Masala. I forget.

I'm partial to a lamb Korma, because its coconut based, and rich and creamy. I've eaten hotter dishes, and sometimes find that the heat kills the flavour. So i constantly return to the Korma for flavour!:love::love:

I was referring to the naff looking ice-cream and sorbet things (there's always the lobotomised deep frozen lemon and that hazelnut jobby in a ramikin) they offer you on a laminated card.

I used to frequent Brick Lane a lot for a number of reasons and used to know their restaurants well. Now I'm a visitor to London I often try other places and have hit upon Drummon Street. BL is still good although I did poison myself on a salt-beef bagel there last weekend.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Best curry I ever had was in Paris. It was served much drier than the curries you get in the UK – without all the sauce and ‘gloop’ you sometimes find a curry swimming in – so you can really taste the ingredients. Still like the curries in UK but that one in Paris took a bit of beating. Most of the ones you get in the States are a waste of space – too bland cos the Yanks don’t do spicy food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here