Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cup game at Newport

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Will be interesting. FA / EPL guidance is to separate first teams & U23s as much as possible, so I wonder if we will see a real mix of players. I suspect we will see Saunders, Moulmby etc but probably not Yapi for U23s not training with the first team already

Who is Saunders? - was he a Houghton signing?

Agree that I don't think we'll see any U23s mixed in with the first team. Must give some game time to the likes of Molumby and Sanders though, and starts for MacArgie, Zeqiri and Alzate (if fit).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Forget the cup this year. Play 11 players who have no part in the first team. Last years debacle against Sheff Wed was a mix of squad players and had a massively detrimental effect on form. We cannot afford similar this year so pick the U23s.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cup is great if fans can attend. It's utterly pointless behind closed doors.

Steele plus 10 x under 23s please. Free hit week for Potter, I care not what he or we do.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Will be looking to rest as many as possible and I agree that should be the case as we really don't want to get distracted by the Cup this year. If we go out then so be it.

Something like:

-------Steele
Yapi Veltman Burn Bernardo
Alzate Sanders Molumby
------Ali J Alex Mac
---------Zequiri

With a load of U23's on the bench.

Suspect we might even see more U23's that I haven't heard of start if I'm honest.

That’s about the side I came up with, though with Alzate and Bernie as wing backs. No way March will play I’d have thought given he’s played most games. Possible Moder could play a part but likely off the bench.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We need a team that will win. We need the confidence from a win, any win !!!

And just as importantly we don't need the confidence sapping outcome of going 1-0 up, concede from a corner 10 mins later, then going out on pens

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Forget the cup this year. Play 11 players who have no part in the first team. Last years debacle against Sheff Wed was a mix of squad players and had a massively detrimental effect on form. We cannot afford similar this year so pick the U23s.

Bissouma had his worst ever game for the club that day against Sheff Wed. Kept giving the ball away and lashed out at opponents when he kept losing it. Attitude seemed to be that he didn't care. Subbed after 60 mins. I remember thinking at the time that he was finished with us. Glad I was wrong and what a difference a year can make.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Lower divisions are not as Covid friendly and for that reason, I think it will be postponed.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We have a big squad so I'd like to go as strong as possible while also giving youth a chance where possible in the early rounds especially if its EFL opposition if we manage to get into the later rounds we have to try and win it. Given the special circumstances and the fixture congestion its quite possible that it won't be one of the usual suspects who wins the FA cup this year.

As unlikely as it sounds a nice mid table finish with an FA cup win and european football to look forward to next season sounds like a very acceptable way to finish the season to me :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Will be looking to rest as many as possible and I agree that should be the case as we really don't want to get distracted by the Cup this year. If we go out then so be it.

Something like:

-------Steele
Yapi Veltman Burn Bernardo
Alzate Sanders Molumby
------Ali J Alex Mac
---------Zequiri

With a load of U23's on the bench.

Suspect we might even see more U23's that I haven't heard of start if I'm honest.

My God l hope not. The last thing we need in my opinion is even more changes, it's time we started to pick a more settled side, the players need to start to get know one another. The odd change yes, but not wholesale ones in the way that you seem to suggest.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This is a must win game. We need to get a win on the board, losing to (or drawing with) Premier League teams every game is one thing but it's not ok to lose to a League 2 team.

Walton
Veltman White Dunk Bernardo
Jahanbakhsh Propper Alzate March
Mac Allister
Maupay

Take it seriously, get Maupay a goal or two and maybe kick start some confidence in the team. It would be good to see Walton get a game, but I'd be happy to see Sanchez, Steele or even a farewell appearance for Maty Ryan.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Newports pitch apparently resembles a iceberg at the moment so a thaw is needed for the game to go ahead , won't be a easy game as they look a tidy outfit and contenders for promotion.

A good mixture of first teamers and fringe players would be my guess , something like

Steele
Veltman
White
Dunk
Bernardo
Propper
Molumby
Mc Allister
Sanders
Zeqiri
Maupay

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
My guess is:
Steele
Yapi
White (to give him a game in his proper position)
Burn (to confidence build)
Bernardo

Alzate
Molumby
Alex Mac

Gross
Ali J
Zaqiri

Subs bench? who knows lol. Hopefully Moder & Tau + 7.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
[QUOTE

Interestingly, we can name 9 subs and in theory bring them all on. (plus a concussion sub). You taking advantage of the possibility of wholesale changes?

[/QUOTE]

Is this correct???

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd certainly retain Sanchez.

There were arguments for not playing Ryan last year

But this year, our first choice keeper has a paucity of top level experience. He needs every game he can get and needs to learn what Potter wants from him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here