Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cullip slaughtered by Warnock

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm with Warnock on this one.

He was a decent lower league leader, but put him at the top of the championship and I can imagine he was nothing short of a liability. We desperately miss someone with his leadership qualities now, but due to his lack of skill on the ball, refusal to accept the blame, poor positioning, and bullying of other players, I was never a fan. He's the sort of bloke you need when trying to be successful in leagues one and two, but as soon as footballing ability becomes more of a necessity than shouting a lot and hoofing the ball upfield he is lost.

Yep cant argue with that, sadly for Danny Cullip to really make it in the Championship he is lacking a yard of pace, He always seemed to be trying to pull players back.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cullip was an absolute hero and legend for this club one of the top 5 central defenders in the history of the club so I don't give a shite if Warnock did not rate him. I would have him back here like a shot. In fact we have not been the same since he left. Wilkins would not have him as Cullip would be running the show within a week.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I wouldn't.

What other managers have had problems with Cullip? When John Gregory signed him for QPR he said that as soon as he had seen him train with them that they would stay up, because of his personality.

Warnock is the wanker, not Cullip.

True, he's played under quite a few other managers and Cullip was never a problem to any of them. The reports at the time said that Cullip actually got Warnock in a headlock, rather different to Warnock's account. However, also in his book Warnock accuses actor Sean Bean of verbally abusing him in front of his family. Bean has subsequently totally denied this, who do you want to believe ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have mixed memories of DC.

On the plus side an inspirational player who led by example, gave 100% and responsible for personally my best moment as an Albion fan.

On the negative, I think Warnock is right in as much that I don't believe I ever saw him take the blame for an error. I think he did have a tendancy to be a bully highlighted to me when he called Will Packham a C*nt, quite aggressively, at Port Vale when he happened to knock him over whilst coming out to collect a cross. I think Charlie Oatway would probably have been the better captain as he had the same give 100% quality about him but he had a more encouraging style as opposed to the bollocking style of DC.

In ballance though I believe we were better off with him than without him.

I agree completely.

Can I also point out to O lads that Paul Rogers was captain in our two promotions. Cullip was captain when we won the play offs.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I remember watching an FA Cup game when Sheff Utd were away at Arsenal (and this was b4 Arsenal became crap again:D) and DC was absolutely immense. He had Berkamp in his pocket all game and eventually Bergkamp was sent off.

Cullip was Sheffields best player by far and did not look at all out of place against the premier opposition. I think they may have evebtually lost on penalties but on that showing alone I,m surprised he never did better at Sheff Utd

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Cullip was an absolute hero and legend for this club one of the top 5 central defenders in the history of the club so I don't give a shite if Warnock did not rate him. I would have him back here like a shot. In fact we have not been the same since he left. Wilkins would not have him as Cullip would be running the show within a week.

And that would not be a bad thing

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
he was a bit of a bully boy though! id agree with warnock on the fact hes a talker! and alot of it was a just to bully players into listen or being scared of him! worked for him most of the time! and its not like hes gone on to prove warnock wrong!

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Can I also point out to O lads that Paul Rogers was captain in our two promotions. Cullip was captain when we won the play offs.

Just had a look on soccerbase and Rodgers only made 24 apperances (just over half) in the league that season, as was sure he did miss a fair few games. Even the Swindon one where we were champions he didn't play, so was DC the playing captain whilst Rodgers the club captain?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

top 5 central defenders in our history.................. tee hee

how long you been watching the Albion ? 5 years ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Just had a look on soccerbase and Rodgers only made 24 apperances (just over half) in the league that season, as was sure he did miss a fair few games. Even the Swindon one where we were champions he didn't play, so was DC the playing captain whilst Rodgers the club captain?

ROGERS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here