Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Biggest frustration today was Trossard. Great at taking up positions in space, first to the ball but EVERY final ball went to them. Every. Single. One. Aargh :rant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Some teams we will struggle to break down. Those are the teams who stick almost everyone behind the ball and don’t even attempt to play football. We played that way last season and it brought up success up to a point. It doesn’t last forever. Palace will find that out soon.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Reason?

I thought it was obvious.

A few minutes before Zaha goes to shoot on his right, Montoya sells himself.

You would have thought that Montoya would then be wary of doing that again.

Zaha goes to shoot on his right, Nontoya sells himself, goal.

At no point for the goal did Montoya sell himself - he blocked any route on Zaha's stronger side, forcing him onto his weaker side - thats what you're taught as a defender. He was INCHES from getting a block on the shot. INCHES.

It's like you are trying to find a reason to blame him. It was a good goal. Fortunate perhaps given the circumstances (and 9/10 of those would have ended up in the Holmesdale) but you really can't blame him for the goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sickened. Just f*cking c*nted sickened. We should have beaten those b@stards again.
Yes we should have won, but we went to their place, played the better football, and didn't lose. Sure they rescued a point, but overall we've got a lot more to be happy about than them.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
great passing performance. v slick for most of match. though we still lack a real cutting edge sd be fashioning more good chances instead of taking pot shots from 30m

It was so good to watch - again - but my god palace were utter utter shyte. Gave us the freedom of croydon for 70 minutes. Couldn't believe how easily we were able to win the ball back off them (often in dangerous areas, too) and how quickly and easily we were able to transition from back to front. We won't have an easier game all season in that respect.

Looking at the amount of games we've dominated this season, to me we're so close to being a team that could be challenging for Europe, which is madness considering our style of football last season.

Bonkers that we're behind palace in the league at this stage considerimg respective styles and performances, but we really are just missing that killer edge in the final third.

Saturday v Sheff United will be very interesting considering respective styles and points totals . sheff united hugely impressive so far.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes good point TBF. Montoya’s work rate today was exceptional though and he found space well as they tucked in against Mooy and Bissouma. Should have been a penalty on him in the first half. Carragher called it correctly, shame about Pawson and VAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

his mistake was not to make the most of it.... He could be a very good player for Brighton IF he could just get down the wing a bit more. Thought he had a good game ...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I bloody hope so, I thought he was good, but greedy and instead of a simple pass to put people in on goal several times he got greedy and took the long range effort instead with no one close to even get a rebound if one occurred. He needs to cut that shit out....

Agreed I remember one very clear pass to the right he missed but his mobility and passing were good and he was a bit unlucky with that shot

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also interesting comment from that tw@ Carragher - the change in our style of football is miraculous. Palace tried to do it with Frand de Boer and the players just couldn't do it, and instead they went on to break the all time record for losing games without scoring.

I rewound it to listen and laugh again and it turns out he didn't say the last part, it was just voices in my head.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We are brilliant. Shame we didn't double up on Tumble and Bissouma gave away soft fouls which helps the hoofers. Everyone played well though. Let's show Sheffield United what the Premier League is really all about and batter them. Batter them 2-1.

D

Deleted member 2719

Never have I seen an Albion team with work rate and quality and then able to apply it away against our rivals.
Pure focus and belief in what we do.

I am gutted for the boys, more than myself, but I know we are developing all the time as a team.

Potter really does have a magic wand.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::albion2:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sorry about the bet. Hopefully a tiny stake.

It would have made Christmas and New Year a bit easier - especially with the travelling.

Had we got the deserved second goal in the last minute I would have had mixed emotions though! I've almost given up betting now. Personally, everything's cool. I'm very lucky. :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We were good, very good at times. Bissouma was a revelation, considering how little football he had had of late, he was so calm, composed, confident, i was hugely impressed by his effort, and I guess his match sharpness meaning he couldn't do 90 minutes was possibly the difference in the end.

So, starting from the position of 'good performance', why didn't we win the game? I'll probably give a lot of kudos to Roy, deciding to man mark all our midfielders and then hope the forwards can get on the ball. Which worked. From our perspective, could probably have done with a bit more presence in the box, Murray could have been an asset because our main threat came from wide positions. But rarely can we play that well and not win

D

Deleted member 2719

At no point for the goal did Montoya sell himself - he blocked any route on Zaha's stronger side, forcing him onto his weaker side - thats what you're taught as a defender. He was INCHES from getting a block on the shot. INCHES.

It's like you are trying to find a reason to blame him. It was a good goal. Fortunate perhaps given the circumstances (and 9/10 of those would have ended up in the Holmesdale) but you really can't blame him for the goal.

Spot on that is how I saw it also.

Quick feet are hard to defend, if you want to be critical you could say if Webster stayed upright, it would have knocked his head off!

Now sort your politics out.:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here