Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace midfielder Conor Gallagher has said the whole dressing room was gutted

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
To any Palace fans moaning that we keep going on about this goal - can you honestly say your reaction would be any different if reversed? No, of course it wouldn't.

This is what makes having a rivalry so good. This is what makes football so good. So yes, we will really enjoy this moment and savour for a long time, because as we all know, the next result could go badly and then we'll be fed up.

What you mean like the Benteke goal at the Amex?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
This. Gallagher did a huge swan dive on contact

Come on, we all know Tross took him out like a bulldozer against a washing line. You only need to look at his reactions to know he'd suffered major damage and broken bones. He was very brave to carry on.

Screenshot_20210928_233802.jpg

Screenshot_20210928_233740_com.twitter.android.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What you mean like the Benteke goal at the Amex?

The Benteke goal at the Amex was the classic sucker punch and a well-taken finish. As much as it hurts, you sometimes have to take those on the chin.

Maupay's goal however, was a completely avoidable car-crash for Palace, entirely of their own making.

1. Keeper feigns injury in the 94th minute and wins a free-kick in lieu of a throw-in to them. Bet he was pleased with himself.
2. All the keeper has to do is put his laces through it and the ref will blow for time.
3. Keepers duffs his free-kick straight to Veltman, who is completely unchallenged by a watching Zaha.
4. Already at this point some Palace fans sense a whiff of danger as Veltman plays the ball forward.
5. The Palace defence have switched off, are caught square and the keeper is stranded and back-peddling furiously.

The fact Palace gifted us this goal and were the architects of their own 90+5 downfall makes it so, so much sweeter.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Don't really want this joyous thread to get bogged down with the two penalty decisions, I didn't have a problem with either of them and I certainly would have given the Palace one it looked clear cut to me.

Now back to the matter in hand, the Palace players crying into their beer about how they felt they lost the game after dominating and terrorising us for 94 and half minutes!
In the first half I was more struck by the timidity of our play, and that Palace's press did put them on the front foot making them the stronger of the two teams. However in that first half what actual chances did they create? I cannot remember one serious attempt that threatened our goal at all other than the (correctly awarded) spot kick. All that possession and nothing to show for it. Even with our feeble attempts at attacking in the first half Welbeck and Trossard both had opportunities to score.

Again second half, we began to reverse the possession stats and from what little of the pitch I could actually see it was only the Ayew chance the was a serious threat to our goal. To the untrained eye it may have looked that Palace were 'dominating' the game but we defended stoutly enough to make sure they were unable to capitalise. Rather than heralding a new dawn for Viera's side, I think they should be concerned that they did so little with the possession that they had.

This week has been flipping marvellous, and thank you to the "Why did you let it bounce" guy for injecting everlasting lols into the whole thing. I am still laughing, it was an absolute peach of a mugging by Maupay and one we should quite rightly revel in for as long as possible.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
A big difference with Bentekes goal was that every single Brighton fan had already predicted it was going to happen. I believe most of you posted so on a thread the week before.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I heard that the coach driver, in a shocked state, came and laid 2 soggy brown deposits in random boots for a pair of players to return home and nose-singeingly unearth.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OK so on Gallagher

Palace have used the loan market to get in a decent player for a year. Do you think we should be doing this more?

On the one hand, he could make the difference between survival and relegation for them. He'll undoubtedly win them games

On the other, if we do this, we'd be denying a young player a development chance to develop another clubs player.

Could you see an argument to take a player in a forward position, (if we could get one of that quality which I accept wouldn't be easy) to buy time for Sima, Tolaj etc to make their case for a first team squad place? I would totally take the point that our forwards are currently doing quite well enough thank you. I just wonder if we currently have the squad depth to get us into the top half and make serious tilt at winning a cup. I can see it both ways. Thoughts?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was not celebrating a draw with them, I was celebrating because they didn’t beat us after leading until the 95th minute.

Had we scored in the 58th minute for example, it wouldn’t have been half as good.

This

1-1 in the 58th minute - they have the bragging rights for stopping us going top.

1-1 in the 95th - They have thrown away 3pts,after a hard fought game and much, much bigger bragging rights.
Plus it was a beauty of a goal, from calamitous defending.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Exactly. Of course you're going to celebrate a last second equaliser, in any game.

But the celebrations have continued since then on social media because there is just so much hilarious content to enjoy. Maupay's celebration, the outrage it provoked from the palace fans, the images of Zaha at the final whistle, pictures of the 'ultras' stood stunned, silent and on the verge of tears, the 'don't let it bounce video', the Gallagher interview you mention where he nearly cries, Dunk sshhing the home fans, Duffy running the length of the pitch and cupping his ears to the spotty teenagers in the Holsmdale end. I could go on.

I keep finding myself laughing at the savagery of it all at random points throughout the day.

The inability of the palace fans on Twitter not to bite at every bit of Brighton bate has also been a great source of entertainment.

Maupay, Sir, you're a legend.

What a fantastic post. Really captures how I feel, and clearly how a good deal of us feel. The only question I have is, why did he let it bounce? :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Don't really want this joyous thread to get bogged down with the two penalty decisions, I didn't have a problem with either of them and I certainly would have given the Palace one it looked clear cut to me.

Now back to the matter in hand, the Palace players crying into their beer about how they felt they lost the game after dominating and terrorising us for 94 and half minutes!
In the first half I was more struck by the timidity of our play, and that Palace's press did put them on the front foot making them the stronger of the two teams. However in that first half what actual chances did they create? I cannot remember one serious attempt that threatened our goal at all other than the (correctly awarded) spot kick. All that possession and nothing to show for it. Even with our feeble attempts at attacking in the first half Welbeck and Trossard both had opportunities to score.

Again second half, we began to reverse the possession stats and from what little of the pitch I could actually see it was only the Ayew chance the was a serious threat to our goal. To the untrained eye it may have looked that Palace were 'dominating' the game but we defended stoutly enough to make sure they were unable to capitalise. Rather than heralding a new dawn for Viera's side, I think they should be concerned that they did so little with the possession that they had.

This week has been flipping marvellous, and thank you to the "Why did you let it bounce" guy for injecting everlasting lols into the whole thing. I am still laughing, it was an absolute peach of a mugging by Maupay and one we should quite rightly revel in for as long as possible.

This.

Viera's change in style is all well and good, but it takes away a lot of the attacking threat that Zaha gives them.
He thrives on counter attacks, less so on pressing and harrying defenders.
It will be interesting to see how well Olise and Eze get on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
OK so on Gallagher

Palace have used the loan market to get in a decent player for a year. Do you think we should be doing this more?

On the one hand, he could make the difference between survival and relegation for them. He'll undoubtedly win them games

On the other, if we do this, we'd be denying a young player a development chance to develop another clubs player.

Could you see an argument to take a player in a forward position, (if we could get one of that quality which I accept wouldn't be easy) to buy time for Sima, Tolaj etc to make their case for a first team squad place? I would totally take the point that our forwards are currently doing quite well enough thank you. I just wonder if we currently have the squad depth to get us into the top half and make serious tilt at winning a cup. I can see it both ways. Thoughts?

When you see an impactful player like Gallagher the loan route does look tempting, but all thing s being equal I'd rather stick to our own players. Currently I think that our squad is good enough to achieve Goal A: Stay Up and has the makings of a squad that can achieve Goal B: Finish comfortably mid-table. This for me is enough of a reason to not look at loans. We are building up towards Goal C: Top ten, but I do not think you can sustainably achieve that by relying on loan players.

If I felt we were in a more perilous position then I would be much more tempted to go for a loan player.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Looks like a clear fould to me - clipped his leg in such a way as would inevitably cause him to stumble and fall.
I agree. Without the foul contact made from behind then Welbeck would have definitely got a shot away and probably scored.

Impossible for the ref to give onfield though as such a muddle and slight touch to be sure about. Whether VAR should be giving such decisions - in the interests of justice for attacking players who are fouled and more goals - is another question.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree. Without the foul contact made from behind then Welbeck would have definitely got a shot away and probably scored.

Impossible for the ref to give onfield though as such a muddle and slight touch to be sure about. Whether VAR should be giving such decisions - in the interests of justice for attacking players who are fouled and more goals - is another question.

Yeh.

Very hard for a ref to give that. He'd have been well away from it.

VAR may have given it last season. No way this season, probably for the best.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm still absolutely mystified by the assertion I keep reading that they played so well?!

Possession: Palace - 47%; Brighton - 53%;
Shots: Palace - 8; Brighton - 8;
On target shots: Palace - 3; Brighton - 4.

It was a poor game but also quite an even game that could have gone either way so to me a draw was actually a fair result. Yes they were the better side in the first half but we were stronger in the second and over the course of the game it was fairly equal. I think Potter also gave quite a fair assessment at the end that was similar to my opinion.

To compare it to the two games last season where we absolutely, totally dominated them but couldn't finish and then they totally mugged 4 points off us is laughable.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm struggling to find anything at all to have a dig at this lad, he looks to be a excellent player skillful and gives it 100%, the last player I saw chase a ball around the park like that was CMS so if you have him in your team you know you've got a good run-around guy, bollox that looks like a bit of a dig, oh well, lovely boy hope he ends up at a decent club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm still absolutely mystified by the assertion I keep reading that they played so well?!

Possession: Palace - 47%; Brighton - 53%;
Shots: Palace - 8; Brighton - 8;
On target shots: Palace - 3; Brighton - 4.

It was a poor game but also quite an even game that could have gone either way so to me a draw was actually a fair result. Yes they were the better side in the first half but we were stronger in the second and over the course of the game it was fairly equal. I think Potter also gave quite a fair assessment at the end that was similar to my opinion.

To compare it to the two games last season where we absolutely, totally dominated them but couldn't finish and then they totally mugged 4 points off us is laughable.

I guess it's all relative.

Compared to last season, where they barely got a kick of the ball, they did play well on Monday night. I think Sky popped up a stat that showed that they'd had as many shots in the first half on Monday as they did in 180 minutes against us last season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We're not celebrating a draw, we're celebrating their disappointment! :dunky: :lolol:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

I also agree that the contact caused Wellbeck to trip and stopped him getting his shot away properly. I agree that this may have been hard for the ref to see. Like most other people (I think) I am not a fan of VAR. However, VAR is a reality. It was able to see something here that was easy for the ref to miss. As a minimum they should have sent the ref to the monitor to have another look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here