Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We were playing terrible football last season and yet got crowds of over 7,000 a fair few times.

There was a great scramble to get Leeds tickets etc. now people are staying away. We don't have a very large core support and that is a factor of playing in crap stadiums for nearly ten years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Originally posted by Safeway Believe me, if we're challenging come next April/May, attendances will be easily 7,000+.

If we're challenging THEY will come. That much is true of any football club.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

chez said:
Well obviously I cant speak for anyone else but at the moment I cant see myself going to another match this season.

And I wouldn't want to speak for you. McGhee was treated like dirt but the club must go on - always bigger than one man :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

chez said:
Well obviously I cant speak for anyone else but at the moment I cant see myself going to another match this season. Totally lost faith with the people running this club, I'm the first to say that they have done wonders in keeping this club afloat through the last few years but now its time to make sure that hard work doesnt go to waste and get someone in who can run the football side of things competantly. :albion:

What concerns me is what use is a 22,000 stadium when you've been relegated to the bottom division or worse when we can't even fill a 9000 athletics stadium. worrying times.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

London Irish said:
And I wouldn't want to speak for you. McGhee was treated like dirt but the club must go on - always bigger than one man :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very true, but it has left a horrible taste in my mouth and I feel by attending matches at the moment I would be supporting what Dick Knight has done, and that, I certainly don't.

Safeway said:
No, it was the football he played that drove people away.

Rubbish - he gave people two seasons of watching some very big clubs coming to the biggest, shithole pisspoor ground in the league. More fool you if you took that for granted.

If you'd have been there tonight, you would have seen in the first half the Albion playing much more direct football than we've played this season. I don't blame Wilkins for that, we need a seige mentality at the moment because these are difficult times.

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

chez said:
Very true, but it has left a horrible taste in my mouth and I feel by attending matches at the moment I would be supporting what Dick Knight has done, and that, I certainly don't.

Knight was forced into it, alas, he's not the villain of the piece.

The only advice I can give you is to write to McGhee to express your gratitude at what's he's done, I did that and it got a lot of stuff out of my system. At the end of the day, we are Albion supporters, not McGhee supporters, brave, honest and talented manager that he was :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

London Irish said:
Rubbish - he gave people two seasons of watching some very big clubs coming to the biggest, shithole pisspoor ground in the league. More fool you if you took that for granted.

I don't go to watch the opposition, do you? :shootself

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

London Irish said:
Knight was forced into it, alas, he's not the villain of the piece.

The only advice I can give you is to write to McGhee to express your gratitude at what's he's done, I did that and it got a lot of stuff out of my system. At the end of the day, we are Albion supporters, not McGhee supporters, brave, honest and talented manager that he was :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did notice your post to "The Insider" and have indeed sent a thankful letter to Mark McGhee via this.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I don't think the elements at Withdean are as big a factor as some seem to say they are.We don't need fans who'll stay away because they don't like sitting in the open air amongst some trees for a couple of hours anyway.

Happy Seagull said:

I guess that's why people sold their wife to get a Spurs ticket yeah? :shootself

Or why 5,000 people came to watch the Chelsea youth at Withdean? :shootself

Wise up - more people, the floating fans, will come the bigger the team we play, the Leeds, the West Hams, etc. That's what McGhee gave us over the last two seasons.

It will be some time before we get those games at Withdean again so if you missed it, you f***ed up.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Happy Seagull said:

Do you honestly think that people, beyond the 'hard core', come regardless of the opposition? That we'd get the same for Macclesfield as Manchester United, Cheltenham as Chelsea?

chez

Jul 5, 2003

Happy Seagull said:

Not even a little bit, would you be as quick to get a ticket to watch us play Orient as you would to watch us play Spurs for instance?

Probably not. This is evident when big cup games come along. The reputation, for want of a better word of the opposition will always have a bearing on the crowd.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.

London Irish said:

The only advice I can give you is to write to McGhee to express your gratitude at what's he's done

I feel as though i genuinely want to do that.Got an address?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brixtaan said:
I don't think the elements at Withdean are as big a factor as some seem to say they are.We don't need fans who'll stay away because they don't like sitting in the open air amongst some trees for a couple of hours anyway.

It's not just the elements - it's the whole Withdean 'experience'...

- Having to get a ticket in advance, you can't just rock up on a whim (I know this is largely myth, but it is the common perception).

- Not being able to drive and park up close at hand.

- One pub being close. And being crap.

- To have to pay £23 for a seat without a roof and, if you're unlucky, a really shit view too.

- To have little or no atmosphere throughout the match, from the P.A. system you can't hear to a muted crowd (reasons: wind, rain, all seated, lack of roof making shit accoustics). Especially so if it's pissing it down.

In short, most of the things that people got hooked on football and the Albion at the wonderful Goldstone are missing at Withdean.

And if you think the club can afford to pick and choose supporters, you're sadly mistaken as long as Withdean is below capacity.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

London Irish said:
I guess that's why people sold their wife to get a Spurs ticket yeah? :shootself

Or why 5,000 people came to watch the Chelsea youth at Withdean? :shootself

Wise up - more people, the floating fans, will come the bigger the team we play, the Leeds, the West Hams, etc. That's what McGhee gave us over the last two seasons.

It will be some time before we get those games at Withdean again so if you missed it, you f***ed up.

Fact, fact and bloody bollox - the sooner you stop talking down to us we might debate FFS

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Get real Withdean is shit and fans have now had enough I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here