Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
So we got rid of McGhee as the fans were fed up with him - crowd tonight however was below 6,000 - is this a long term trend re everyone thinking we will now be mid table at best

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
tuesday night never going to get a big crowd. McGhee only went Friday not enough time to rearrange plans if that was the reason staying away.
Some people might also say Champions League on tele would effect it

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I doubt it'll get much above 6,000 for the rest of the season.

I am now getting worried for our future. They need to look at the ticket price. It's a scandal for this division and the standard of football we are playing.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
ac gull said:
So we got rid of McGhee as the fans were fed up with him - crowd tonight however was below 6,000 - is this a long term trend re everyone thinking we will now be mid table at best

A small crowd was expected tonight, although there seems to be more there than I expected (I predicted 4800). Many fans are staying away as a protest to how Mark McGhee was treated, and rightly so.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
DK it seems can do no right at the moment - he should sack Mcgoo when he does he's done it wrongly... oh dear oh dear

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Mr Burns said:
I doubt it'll get much above 6,000 for the rest of the season.

I am now getting worried for our future. They need to look at the ticket price. It's a scandal for this division and the standard of football we are playing.

But the club have to vharge those prices just to cover costs.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
If Flamer doesn't go through in the next two seasons i think it's curtains we just can't afford to keep going.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I said here Sunday that the average attendence post-McGhee sackig and pre-McGhee sacking would differ by less than 500....

No one goes to see the manager.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Goring Gull said:
DK it seems can do no right at the moment - he should sack Mcgoo when he does he's done it wrongly... oh dear oh dear

He should never have sacked McGhee in the first place. Instead he tried to please a vast minority of supporters by jumping straight in with a knee jerk reaction and giving him the boot. DK, if we go down this season it will be primarily you to blame.

Sorry, Ive been very much behind you since you took over but this has to stop.

Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

chez said:
A small crowd was expected tonight, although there seems to be more there than I expected (I predicted 4800). Many fans are staying away as a protest to how Mark McGhee was treated, and rightly so.

I would hope that's not the case. McGhee fans tend to be loyalists and will back the club come what may.

I just think it's rather that it's a complete myth that McGhee drove people away from the club. We are talking about a handful of people who didn't go because of McGhee - so frankly a handful of people coming back. But well done the four of you anyway :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
paddy said:
But the club have to vharge those prices just to cover costs.
We have 9000 seats. We are only managing to fill around 2/3rds of them. We then say we need a bigger stadium?
Whilst we know as supporters we do need a new stadium, it doesn't look a good argument to non football fans does it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

London Irish said:
I would hope that's not the case. McGhee fans tend to be loyalists and will back the club come what may.

I just think it's rather that it's a complete myth that McGhee drove people away from the club. We are talking about a handful of people who didn't go because of McGhee - so frankly a handful of people coming back. But well done the four of you anyway :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's the crap football on offer that keeps fans away plus the fact Albion are reliably gash at home of late - well last few seasons anyway.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think it's worth considering a lot of fans spent a lot of money on Saturday at Millwall, Then there's Orient next Saturday so I was'nt really expecting a big crowd tonight. It's a lot of money for fans to spend in a week.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Crowd Tonight - Under 6,000

London Irish said:

Well obviously I cant speak for anyone else but at the moment I cant see myself going to another match this season. Totally lost faith with the people running this club, I'm the first to say that they have done wonders in keeping this club afloat through the last few years but now its time to make sure that hard work doesnt go to waste and get someone in who can run the football side of things competantly. :albion:

RexCathedra said:
I said here Sunday that the average attendence post-McGhee sackig and pre-McGhee sacking would differ by less than 500....

No one goes to see the manager.

No, but they do go to see the team the manager has picked.

Since mid-way through last season we've played a lot of shite under McGhee and as a result attendances have suffered. It might take a while, but if the football (and results) improve for the rest of the season then the crowds will, too.

Believe me, if we're challenging come next April/May, attendances will be easily 7,000+.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "fed up with Withdean" factor can not be under-estimated. Season on season people are growing more and more disenchanted with paying top dollar for a crap seat exposed to the elements.

Do people blame the club - I can't believe many do, but people are disillusioned nonetheless.

To compound this, there are not many (read: none?) new supporters coming along to fill those empty seats. A large percentage of people who used to spend every other Saturday afternoon watching the Albion have lost the football habit. They've found a full-on two day weekend is quite nice and they're not prepared to fork out £23 for the aforementioned wet and windy seat to watch this level and quality of football.

All sad but true...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here