Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Criteria for an Albion Fan

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Should be born in sussex and live in sussex,too many outsiders on the band wagon tbh:eek::

I wasn't born in Sussex and I don't live there so I'm an outsider am I, what complete nonsense.
I moved to Sussex when I was 5 years old and saw my 1st match in 1971, was a season ticket holder at The Goldstone & 7 seasons at Withdean before moving to Australia where in 2010 I started Seagulls Downunder the supporters club for those of us living in Australia & New Zealand. Please tell me how it is that I don't fit your criteria and I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.
We also have many supporters of the club amongst our members who were born here and have never been to the UK but follow the club because their family roots are in Brighton, to me that's a good thing that they have made the choice to follow the club rather than jump on the Premiership bandwagon as so many do here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wasn't born in Sussex and I don't live there so I'm an outsider am I, what complete nonsense.
I moved to Sussex when I was 5 years old and saw my 1st match in 1971, was a season ticket holder at The Goldstone & 7 seasons at Withdean before moving to Australia where in 2010 I started Seagulls Downunder the supporters club for those of us living in Australia & New Zealand. Please tell me how it is that I don't fit your criteria and I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.
We also have many supporters of the club amongst our members who were born here and have never been to the UK but follow the club because their family roots are in Brighton, to me that's a good thing that they have made the choice to follow the club rather than jump on the Premiership bandwagon as so many do here.

He's just on a wind-up mate. Don't let him bother you. I lived abroad up in Liverpool for 14 years even though I was Sussex born and bred. Did that make me an outside our not a true supporter? Of course not.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 80

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
He's just on a wind-up mate. Don't let him bother you. I lived abroad up in Liverpool for 14 years even though I was Sussex born and bred. Did that make me an outside our not a true supporter? Of course not.

I know and wind me up he did, if the truth be known the so called fans that keep posting this rubbish probably have no idea of what the club went through so that they can sit in their padded seats on a Saturday afternoon.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A Gal is another name for a girl as in (me and my Gal ) song and the phrase 'what a Gal' I added the extra L to have the same letters as seagull .... I thought it was quite good and never thought it would need such an explanation

Don't worry about it. far too witty and thoughtful for some on here.

I was born in South-east London - perilously close to where a certain South london football team hang out, but moved to Sussex at the age of 15 months and was brought up in Worthing. As for the "born in Brighton and Hove" bit, who else am I supposed to support?

Football teams should be an extension of the community they are based in. I support the Albion because I am proud of the City and area where I was born.

If you move away from the area it throws up conflicts in loyalty IMO. I know you will disagree because you are in Yorkshire.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I never lived in Sussex, my connection is from my Dad who was Brighton born. I was born in Kenya should I have to support a Kenyan league team then? All I'm saying is there could be many reasons why you follow the Albion not just being Brighton born and bred (and still living there).

I never lived in Sussex, my connection is from my Dad who was Brighton born. I was born in Kenya should I have to support a Kenyan league team then? All I'm saying is there could be many reasons why you follow the Albion not just being Brighton born and bred (and still living there).

Fair enough. I know many fellow Albion fans travel great distances to see the Albion at home.

However, I would prefer us to fill the stadium with Sussex born fans. I would consider myself a hypocrite not to. In my street I have West Ham , Chelsea & Arsenal fans and it irks me that they don't follow the Albion yet live in the area. I can't have these sentiments towards them and yet welcome Albion fans living outside the County.

Its nothing personal - it's just a wish/mindset. In your circumstances I would have thought you should be supporting your local team - Hull ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Football teams should be an extension of the community they are based in. I support the Albion because I am proud of the City and area where I was born.

If you move away from the area it throws up conflicts in loyalty IMO. I know you will disagree because you are in Yorkshire.

But by that reasoning no one from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, etc should support Brighton - they should follow their local community clubs. And don't get me STARTED on those dreadful plastics from North Sussex who support Brighton instead of their local league team.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just interested in what other people think the criteria is to be an Albion fan

Among all the other things mentioned on here, perhaps you need to be sufficiently literate to know the difference between 'criterion' (singular) and 'criteria' (plural).

You can ask what "the criterion is to be an Albion fan"
or
You can ask what "the criteria are to be an Albion fan"

but you can't ask what "the criteria is to be an Albion fan" .... FFS

(Sorry but someone had to say it)

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
I was born in sussex
I live in sussex
I carry a lot of weight (100kg 5'8" BMI very obese)
I support the albion
I am a fan of BHAFC
I follow brighton

when i was at university i went to the midweek Forest V wimbeldon game rather than travel down to the jimmy case tesimonial and therefore missed seing Le tiss in the right stripes

but, when the wednesday night game v WBA could have been our last game due to a tax winding-up order (we sold beneey to leeds for £xyz to pay our tax bill of £xyz, a couple of albion fans (& 1 wb albion fan) drove down for the game (also kidnapped the WBA fan on the way back to notts and drove to Manchester for the sckport county game on the sat)

Probably should be "layers" of obsesion, depending on age, wealth, location, desire

Support - pay finacially to support the club i.e. tickets, memberships etc

Fan - have the badge, hat, maybe go to a few games home or away - take the stick in the office from the Manu west ham fans

Follow - look out for the results, but don't go out of the way to make games etc

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Fair enough. I know many fellow Albion fans travel great distances to see the Albion at home.

However, I would prefer us to fill the stadium with Sussex born fans. I would consider myself a hypocrite not to. In my street I have West Ham , Chelsea & Arsenal fans and it irks me that they don't follow the Albion yet live in the area. I can't have these sentiments towards them and yet welcome Albion fans living outside the County.

Its nothing personal - it's just a wish/mindset. In your circumstances I would have thought you should be supporting your local team - Hull ?
Thanks but I'm nowhere near Hull. If I had to have a northern team it'd be York City. Sorry, it's the Albion for me.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
The only criteria is once an Albion fan ALWAYS an Albion fan, through good and bad times, thick and thin, triumph and disaster.

For myself, I started supporting the Albion in the mid-1960s purely because they were the local club. My wife and our two daughters support the Albion through my persuasion and love for the club, despite them being born and bred in Southampton. You see, blood runs thicker than water! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here