Time for me to depart cricket threads for a while.:blush:

Well done i spose.:clap:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Ok so can anybody confirm the following:-

1) 16 points for a win
2) 8 Points each for a draw
3) Bonus points are for reaching certain targets (dont know what they are) within 100 overs up to a maximum of 8 (4 bowling & 4 batting)

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
No, 14 points for a win, 4 points for a draw plus 5 batting bonus points and 3 bowling bonus points available for reaching certain targets during the first 130 overs of each first innings.

Simple, isn't it?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
Bowling bowling Mushy
etc

to the tune of 'Magic Roundabout'

Now get THAT out of your head...

How Points are worked out

38.1.1 For a win, 14 points, plus any points scored in the first innings.

38.1.2 In a tie, each side to score seven points, plus any points scored in the first innings.

38.1.3 In a drawn match, each side to score four points, plus any points scored in the first innings (see also paragraph 38.1.6).

38.1.4 If the scores are equal in a drawn match, the side batting in the fourth innings to score seven points plus any points scored in the first innings, and the opposing side to score four points plus any points scored in the first innings.

38.1.5 First Innings Points (awarded only for performances in the first 130 overs of each first innings and retained whatever the result of the match).

(a) A maximum of five batting points to be available as under:
200 to 249 runs 1 point
250 to 299 runs 2 points
300 to 349 runs 3 points
350 to 399 runs 4 points
400 runs or over 5 points

(b) A maximum of three bowling points to be available as under:
3 to 5 wickets taken 1 point
6 to 8 wickets taken 2 points
9 to 10 wickets taken 3 points

If penalty runs are awarded to a team which at that time had faced less than 130 overs in their first innings, or completed their first innings before they had faced 130 overs, those penalty runs will be considered as counting towards the total as far as the award of bonus points is concerned.

If penalty runs are awarded to a team which had already faced 130 overs or more in their first innings, or had previously completed their first innings after they had faced 130 overs, those penalty runs will be not be considered as counting towards the total as far as the award of bonus points is concerned.

38.1.6 If play starts when less than eight hours playing time remains (in which event a one innings match shall be played as provided for in First Class Playing Condition 18), no first innings points shall be scored. The side winning on the one innings to score 14 points. In a tie, each side to score seven points. In a drawn match, each side to score 4 points. If the scores are equal in a drawn match, the side batting in the second innings to score seven points and the opposing side to score four points.

38.1.7 If a match is abandoned without a ball being bowled, each side to score four points.

38.1.8 The side which has the highest aggregate of points gained at the end of the season shall be the Champion County of their respective Division. Should any sides in the Championship table be equal on points, the following tie-breakers will be applied in the order stated: most wins, least losses, team achieving most points in contests between teams level on points, most wickets taken, most runs scored. At the end of the season, the top three teams from the Second Division will be promoted and the bottom three teams from the First Division will be relegated.

Championship Over Rate Penalties

The minimum over-rate to be achieved by Counties will be 16 overs per hour. When calculating the over-rate, two minutes will be allowed for each wicket taken though no allowance will be made for drinks intervals. Any suspension of play for an injury to a player or for any other reason beyond the control of the players shall be a deductible allowance. The Umpire at the bowler's end will inform the fielding Captain, the batsman and his fellow Umpire of any time allowances as and when they arise and the scorers at the earliest opportunity. (This matter will not be subject to retrospective negotiation).

Overs will be calculated at the end of the match and penalties applied on a match by match basis. The relevant calculation to establish the match target is: (Total minutes in the field -2 minutes per wicket - Umpires' allowances)/3.75 (fractions to be ignored)

Overs will be calculated at the end of the match and penalties applied on a match by match basis. The relevant calculation to establish the match target is:

For example, a side that has been in the field for 491 minutes throughout the course of the match and that has taken 18 wickets and been allowed 10 minutes by the Umpires, has a match target of 491-36-10/3.75 = 118.67 overs. Ignoring fractions, the match target is 118 overs.

For each over (fractions to be ignored) that a side has bowled short of the target number, 0.25 points will be deducted from their Championship total as follows:

1 over short of the match target 0.25 points deduction
2 overs short of the match target 0.50 points deduction
3 overs short of the match target 0.75 points deduction
etc.

Only matches in which a team has bowled for 4 hours or more (net of time allowed for wickets taken and Umpires' allowances) in the match will be subject to over-rate penalties.

The scoreboard shall show the number of overs above or below the target overs for the bowling side. This number is calculated by subtracting the number of overs that should have been bowled (calculated as above and ignoring fractions) from the number of overs that have actually been bowled (ignoring fractions in the total number of overs bowled in the match). This will be updated at the very minimum at the start of every session.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Mushtaq Ahmed took his seasonal tally to 99 Championship wickets as Sussex moved closer to their first Championship title.

The Pakistani leg-spinner wrapped up the Middlesex second innings with the final three wickets for match figures of 10-225.

And although Australian Joe Dawes reduced Sussex to 22-2, opener Richard Montgomerie stood firm for an unbeaten 54 as they knocked off the runs required for victory.

Sussex now need lead Surrey by 18 points and need only 10 more from their final two games against Lancashire and Leicestershire to make certain of the title.

Middlesex kept them at bay during the morning session as Paul Weekes and Chris Peploe shared a stand of 49.

It was ended when Jason Lewry had Peploe lbw for 13 and the left-armer followed up by dismissing David Nash, who played on as he shaped to cut.

Mushtaq bowled Simon Cook for 11 and then brought Weekes' three-hour innings to an end by having him caught behind for 65, before trapping last man Dawes lbw.

Sussex were left to score only 106 for their ninth victory of the season and the early dismissal of Murray Goodwin and Tony Cottey failed to disturb their composure.

Skipper Chris Adams (30) helped add 70 for the third wicket before he was caught at short leg off Weekes, leaving Montgomerie and Tim Ambrose (11 not out) to finish things off.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
I rushed to the ground just in time to see us score the last four runs. It was worth it. 10 more points and we are champions. It looks like a classic coming up against Lancashire.

:clap2:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I spent the whole day at Sussex today and what a day, i strolled in with my 4 cans of red stripe at 10:30, met a couple of others and enjoyed a great days cricket!

Sussex CCC County Champions 2003!

P.S. The Mushy shirt was worn with pride again!!!

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Like Trigger there all day. The morning session was tense. Would we ever get Middlesex out. In the end happy smiles all round. They even played Sussex by the Sea at the end.
Final note. Middlesex players have the tastiest wives/girl friends/ partners of any team. One good reason to become a member and sit near the players pavilion.:)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Grizzly Speaks Of Title Sucess

Chris Adams felt a massive sense of relief after the win over Middlesex which makes him odds-on favourite to be the first Sussex captain ever to win the county championship.

Mushtaq Ahmed was the man who hurried Sussex to their seven-wicket win on the final day at Hove, where a 1,000-strong crowd stood and cheered their team off the pitch in the knowledge that the title is surely in the bag.

Adams stopped short of claiming that but admitted the small matter of 10 points to make sure ought to be within Sussex's capabilities in their last two games, starting against fellow contenders Lancashire at Old Trafford on Wednesday and then back at home when Leicestershire are the visitors.

The captain hailed a team effort all season and particularly in this match when for the first time the weight of expectation was really on Sussex.

Mushtaq delivered with his fifth 10-wicket match haul to take him to 99 for the season, after first-innings centurions Matthew Prior and Mark Davis had dug Sussex out of a tough situation on the second day.

Adams was at pains to thank them all.

"It is a big relief. It is in our own hands, and we are in pole position now," he said.

If and when Sussex do clinch their first title in 113 years of trying, it will be the culmination too of Adams' and former chief executive Tony Pigott's own dream which dates back to the ex-Derbyshire and England batsman's arrival at Hove in 1998.

"It will be huge - not just for me but for the whole club. That is the reason I came here, to try and win the championship," said Adams.

"When I met Tony Pigott at a motorway service station six years ago to discuss the possibility of coming here, winning the championship was high on the agenda.

"He desperately wanted to do it, and I hope we do it not just for me and the club but for him as well."

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Absolutely fantastic win I'm so please for SCCC

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Christ, I dont need Wisden anymore. Has anyone noticed the cricket threads are the longest around, proving beyond any doubt cricket is more interesting and has more depth than football.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whatever happened to Tony Pigott? I hope they invite Lester to Hove to be part of the celebrations. He was one of the people who started off the Sussex revival.

If we draw against Lancashire, we'll be champions.

We have 231 points at the moment. A draw against Lancashire will give us 235 plus any batting/bowling points.

Surrey have 213 points at the moment. They will have 235 points if they get maximum points in their final game (but would still be below us, even if we get no bonus points at all in the last two games, because we have won more matches)

Lancashire have 197 points. If the Lancs-Sussex game is a draw, they will get 4 points from that. Even if they get maximum batting/bowling points from the Sussex game (8) and maximum points from their last game (22), that would mean that they would have 197+4+8+22 points (ie 231 points - four points less than us).

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Tony was a great guy - good motivator, but unfortunately wasn't the best man to look after the club's finances - eg appointing Dave Gilbert as Director of Cricket under him as Chief Exec, both on massive contracts.

However - he got us out of the complete hole after Wells, Salisbury, Law et al left and his groundwork in getting Adams, Cottey, Bevan and building a team which won the second div'n championship three years ago and (let's hope) THE BIG ONE this year has to be applauded.

Anyone there on the night of the long knives when the whole committee were forced to resign due to their incompetence? Seems a long way back now...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there on the night of the long knives: fantastic atmosphere, real rebellion in the air.

Tony Pigott might have been financially naive but he set us down this road and I don't like the way that he has been airbrushed out of history.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Gwylan, pleased to have a fellow conspirator along!

I'm not sure your airbrushing comment's entirely fair - especially as Adams (Club captain) went on record yesterday, saying how instrumental Pigott was in achieving Sussex's successes this year. It'd be good to see some sort of award to him (Honorary Vice President maybe?)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hats off to all who have contributed to this chance of success.

Weather forecast for Manchester is reasonable for the rest of the week. Could be a double celebration this weekend, Sussex Champions and Trafford MV promoted in the Chehire Assocation, my bowling has been mediocre but I am a red hot certainty for 'Best Tea of the Season' award

Match Report

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here