Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket- 3rd Test, Birmingham, July 26 - 30, 2024, West Indies tour of England

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a couple of mates going up to Edgbaston for days 3 and 4. I was pleased for them that the WI got off to such a sound start. Bit worried for their day 4 now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The umpires questions are great on tms lunch
Great that they’ve just taken the T20 World Cup win away from India

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who do you think should be in the bowling attack? Off the top of my head, I'd go for Woakes, Wood/Archer (if available), Atkinson, Bashir, Stokes.
I would work on the basis of having two available from a pool of Wood, Atkinson, Stone, Pennington and Archer available as the outright pace lot and either Tongue or Potts as the holder and Stokes to chip in. Woakes has been tried and failed, sad as he is a good egg but his overseas record doesn’t lie.

Bashir and Ahmed for the spin berth, not fussed hugely either way.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I would work on the basis of having two available from a pool of Wood, Atkinson, Stone, Pennington and Archer available as the outright pace lot and either Tongue or Potts as the holder and Stokes to chip in. Woakes has been tried and failed, sad as he is a good egg but his overseas record doesn’t lie.

I know this is classic English cricketing conservatism on my part, but I really wouldn't want a leg spinner as the only spin bowler in the attack because they tend not to be accurate enough to do the holding role.

I say that's an English thing, apart from Warne I don't think any test team has regularly picked a leggie as the only spinner.

Largely agree otherwise, although Stone's is so rarely fit I'm starting to doubt he's a real person.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Five down! This collapse is positively England-esque!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That was an awful leave

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This all sounds eminently sensible. I wish I had the time to follow more Test cricket so I'd be able to opine on Stone and Pennington, but Potts is a good call. Fair play on Woakes, his Test average is so good over here that it must be dire elsewhere (perhaps not NZ).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Another review lost. Not quite as frivolous though. Tiniest of inside edges before hitting pads.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
A damp squib so far as, despite a splendid first innings showing in the last Test, the Windies capitulated again.

A rather good analysis from Cricinfo

Some rather pleasant days ahead. Here's hoping a rather average England attack, in my opinion, can be put to the sword at times in a swashbuckling contest.

We can but Shay.
To be fair, notwithstanding the specifics of how they've bowled today, in England I think this is quite a strong and well balanced bowling attack.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think Bashir needs to come in a bit wider of the stumps. Good to see a bit of turn.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This all sounds eminently sensible. I wish I had the time to follow more Test cricket so I'd be able to opine on Stone and Pennington, but Potts is a good call. Fair play on Woakes, his Test average is so good over here that it must be dire elsewhere (perhaps not NZ).
I've seen little of Pennington but those who have say he's a good prospect, I saw him bowling (with Potts) as part of the backup bowlers at Lord's the other week and he looked pretty rapid then. Stone has been playing in the Hundred and I would imagine is being managed in the same way Archer is.

I also forgot that Brandon Carse could well be in the mix too for a quicker option, current issues notwithstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here