Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit to Adkins

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Please name your physios signings for the record, and there acheivements.

He signed Fonte, who was their most important player last season. You're making a bit of an idiot of yourself here tbh.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Samej and Looney, you really need to get a grip on reality, you have both presented yourselves as utter morons. Your bitterness is absolutley astounding, where does it come from? the majority of us don't really give a toss for Brighton, you're not even in the same county as us (I doubt you knew that though) Are you aware that 'Pardews team' were 24th in League 1 when Adkins took over, did you know that in a year his points per game ratio is the same as Alex Ferguson's? Just admit it you sad blinkered fucktards, Nigel Adkins is doing very very well. And don't disrespect the teams we've played, Ipswich, Leicester, Forest and Brum will all be there or thereabouts by the end of the season, and would be higher up the table if they hadn't been beaten by Southampton (bar Leicester of course, but if you knew any of the facts then you would know that actually it was a miracle that Saints didnt get at least a point from that game, as Kasper Schmeichael will testify).

You pair of ball bags !

Really I'm trying to reconnect you with reality and most your points are aimed at samej.

Yes Southampton did do well when Adkins took over, yes you do look a pretty sharp outfit, but, and this is my point. Youve looked good against poor sides or sides that started poorly. youve had one litmus. test against Liecester and you failed. I'm just looking at the numbers of THIS season.

I'll think I'll bump this thread at the end of the month, that should give a better view of your overall performance.

BTW Do you have a "Here for one season" shirt?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
What is with some of our fans calling saints fans 'scummers' ? I mean really ?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
They are a very good team, though lallana is their main guy. If he goes in January will they be able to keep up with the big boys of the division?

mitch01

Sep 20, 2011
Here's what I imagine to be the general view of most Saints fans:

By the end of last season I would say our team was as good as any other in L1, playing with style and grit. Did we deserve to win the league? No. You did, you won it, you got more points than us, you were the better side over the course of last season. You were fantastically consistent, demonstrating mental strength with seemingly endless late winners and had some good flair players. Our team started poorly, looking demotivated - Lambert a prime example - and we found ourselves in real trouble.

Adkins came in and immediately looked to instil a winning mentality. Poor pitches would never again be used as an excuse for poor performances. By the time we played you at St Marys we looked a decent side again, and I'm sure when Adkins made his comment even most Brighton fans wouldn't have expected you to reach the points total you did (could be wrong on this, but it would surprise me if you were that confident at that stage). Adkins' answer came back to haunt him, we would have done the same to Poyet.

Poyet is unpopular with us after trying to get one of our players sent off and claiming that the only difference between us and D&R is Rickie Lambert. Could have been a strange attempt at a mind-game, but, as with Adkins, it only served to gee us up for the rest of the season.

This season we've both flown out of the traps. In my opinion people are going over the top about Saints, I've always known that these players could play superb football and cut teams open, but a few injuries in key areas could expose us. I don't want to see us go up this season, it would be bad for the club in the long run (I think Norwich will suffer this season). I expect you must feel something similar re. Brighton, building the club slowly would be more likely to lead to success.

Should be interesting to see where we both finish, my prediction would be both of us somewhere between 4th-8th. Now lets put an end to last season's squabbling, its boring.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

By the end of last season I would say our team was as good as any other in L1, playing with style and grit. Did we deserve to win the league? No. You did, you won it, you got more points than us, you were the better side over the course of last season. You were fantastically consistent, demonstrating mental strength with seemingly endless late winners and had some good flair players. Our team started poorly, looking demotivated - Lambert a prime example - and we found ourselves in real trouble.

Adkins came in and immediately looked to instil a winning mentality. Poor pitches would never again be used as an excuse for poor performances. By the time we played you at St Marys we looked a decent side again, and I'm sure when Adkins made his comment even most Brighton fans wouldn't have expected you to reach the points total you did (could be wrong on this, but it would surprise me if you were that confident at that stage). Adkins' answer came back to haunt him, we would have done the same to Poyet.

Poyet is unpopular with us after trying to get one of our players sent off and claiming that the only difference between us and D&R is Rickie Lambert. Could have been a strange attempt at a mind-game, but, as with Adkins, it only served to gee us up for the rest of the season.

This season we've both flown out of the traps. In my opinion people are going over the top about Saints, I've always known that these players could play superb football and cut teams open, but a few injuries in key areas could expose us. I don't want to see us go up this season, it would be bad for the club in the long run (I think Norwich will suffer this season). I expect you must feel something similar re. Brighton, building the club slowly would be more likely to lead to success.

Should be interesting to see where we both finish, my prediction would be both of us somewhere between 4th-8th. Now lets put an end to last season's squabbling, its boring.

This - good summary

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He has completely transform the way we played. We usedto go long to lambert, but now we work it over the pitch with the front 4 swapping positions. I said he's probably not as good as gus, but he may become better in time, we just don't know. What I do knkow is that he has transformed the team completely. He has also made the best buy of the last 2 years, Jack Cork, £750k.

Yes, much better than Bridcutt for free.

Jan 2, 2011

mitch01 I liked your post until I read the part about you not wanting us to be promoted this season. Do you think Adkins and Cortese share that view? That's just ridiculous IMO. We all know the money is there to improve the squad accordingly, so why not go for it. Glad you're not manager. As for Looney and Samej? What a pair of mongs.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You said this yesturday... my response was:

Pre-season perspectives

Leeds - playoff favourites
Barnsley - bottom half
Ipswich - promotion contneders
Millwall - Mid table
Leicester - Promotion favourites
Forest - Play off contenders
Birmingham - Promotion contenders

18 points from that is very impressive imo. There are no 'easy' games in this league.

Ah, the perspectives league. We always seem to be near the bottom of that one

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Give him credit for what he's achieved. As for the "if they can keep up with us comment" I'm sure we'd all be singing Gus's praises had he said it, all rather sensitive of peeps to be getting pissed off about.

Plus he's done what Pardew couldn't and it looks like they are steamrollering some good teams - and I don't think he made more than one decent signing in the summer .. all credit to them

I'm Brighton through and through but that doesn't man I have to despise others .. just wanna whip their asses

Jan 2, 2011
Give him credit for what he's achieved. As for the "if they can keep up with us comment" I'm sure we'd all be singing Gus's praises had he said it, all rather sensitive of peeps to be getting pissed off about.

Plus he's done what Pardew couldn't and it looks like they are steamrollering some good teams - and I don't think he made more than one decent signing in the summer .. all credit to them

I'm Brighton through and through but that doesn't man I have to despise others .. just wanna whip their asses
Nigel Adkins made it clear that we would only sign players who would compliment, or improve what we already have, as to panic buy some of these so called 'established championship stars' would have been disasterous, with that he bought in Danny Fox, Jack Cork and Jos Hooiveld on loan, all of which have slotted in very well with an already good set of players, also Steve de Ridder was signed, he will prove to be a very good signing. Cork in particular has proved an inspired signing, he controls the midfield and has brought out the best in Dean Hammond who is in the form of his life. Thats what Adkins does, he gets the absolute best out of his players, yes his team talks are cliched, and sometimes a little bit cringeworthy, but he's no mug, and the mongs that are labelling him as just a physio are seriously out of touch. I wouldn't have anybody else in charge at the moment. Cortese struck gold when he signed our Nige.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Adkins has done very well indeed, I think we are too sensitive at times about comments from opposition managers/players etc. After all Gus is no stranger to inflammatory remarks himself.

As for the crap about it being Pardew's team he inherited, the same could be said about Wendy when he took over from Pardew, and Saints results under Wilkins were P4 W0 D0 L4, so Adkins should be given a lot of credit. He has a very good squad, and if we finish close to them this season I'll be very happy.

Jan 2, 2011
Adkins has done very well indeed, I think we are too sensitive at times about comments from opposition managers/players etc. After all Gus is no stranger to inflammatory remarks himself.

As for the crap about it being Pardew's team he inherited, the same could be said about Wendy when he took over from Pardew, and Saints results under Wilkins were P4 W0 D0 L4, so Adkins should be given a lot of credit. He has a very good squad, and if we finish close to them this season I'll be very happy.

Good honest sensible post.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't be arsed to trawl through this whole thread, but to answer the OP, it would be churlish not to give Adkins credit for the job he has done in getting Saints to the top of the league. They are a good team, with decent players and fully deserve to be at the top at the moment. Adkins does deserve credit for handling the transition to higher division very well, much in the same manner as Gus.

I think that Southampton are well equipped to sustain a promotion challenge should they avoid serious injuries to the likes of Lambert and Lallana. I'll echo EP's post in saying if we do indeed 'keep up' with them this season then we will be n a very decent position ourselves, and I'd be more than happy with that.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Fair play to Adkins, he took the banter extremely well at Withdean and he hasn't put a foot wrong for Southampton.

.... still an arse though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here