Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit card advice (First one)

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Now ive never had a credit card, I just have your bog standard debit hole in the wall and occassional purchase off the internet style card.

I am incurring quite a few expenses with work, trains, flights and other small bits and pieces and its winding me up that it dents my already small balance each month.

Im looking at getting a credit card for a couple of reasons, Im looking to increase my credit rating and also it will be easier that its not hitting my bank and balance.

I was looking at Natwest Platinum due to the fact I bank with natwest...but anyone have any advice or credit card companies that they would give a big thumbs up to?

cheers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
pay it all off at teh end of the month, no interest to pay. start that way and you might be able to carry on. loverly

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Do you drive a lot?

My Shell Citibank Mastercard refunds a bit (3% I think) of my Shell fuel purchases so effectively diesel is still below £1.00 a litre for me.

Usually get a monthly refund of around £25 on my statement so it isn't going to change my lifestyle but it is a takeaway & a bottle of wine for nowt!:thumbsup:

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
WARNING THIS IS TOTALLY OFF TOPIC
its not worth creating a new thread Just wondering is it possible to change my username?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Never ever, ever use your credit card to withdraw cash at a cashpoint you will be charged a f**king fortune in interest.

Another bit of advise form someone who managed to spunk almost £16,000 on credit cards…. Don’t even apply, if you already have throw it in the bin.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nationwide is still ( as far as I'm aware) the only card that won't charge you a handling fee over and above any cash and interest charged for using your card abroad. Save yourself a fortune if you're gonna be using it abroad.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Like CS said I wouldnt bother in the long run it is far more stressful, I'd prefer to scrape through every week than be in debt to some bankers who really are wankers.

(No pun intended)

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Never ever, ever use your credit card to withdraw cash at a cashpoint you will be charged a f**king fortune in interest.

Another bit of advise form someone who managed to spunk almost £16,000 on credit cards…. Don’t even apply, if you already have throw it in the bin.

Don't even apply. Credit Cards are bloody evil. Try to manage your finances without it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Never had one, don't want one.
My advise is get your works to give you an allowance for these things and don't get one.
You are spending someone else's money.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He still needs to improve his credit rating - is it possible to do this some other way than getting a credit card?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
He still needs to improve his credit rating - is it possible to do this some other way than getting a credit card?

Contract mobile phone, paying for council tax/tv licence by direct debit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here