Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit card advice (First one)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Trouble with that is we go abroad on holidays and you just never know when you may have an unexpected cost like someone gets ill and you need to pay a bill straight away.

Very true, for that reason I got a credit card at the beginning of the year to take travelling with me in the knowledge that it would provide a good back up in case of emergency and I could pay things like accommodation bills along the way without having to carry loads of cash around. Being fairly disciplined when it comes to money, and hating paying interest to anyone unneccesarily, I paid the debit amount off in full well before the due date in April. Imagine my shock when a week or so later I noticed a debit balance against the credit card on my online bank statement...to the tune of nearly four grand.

It turns out that someone had managed to get my card details in South Africa, where I had been for a few days in March, then gone on a bit of a spending spree. I reported this to the bank and the card was cancelled immediately, the matter hasn't yet been fully resolved but I am automatically insured by having a credit card and shouldn't be out of pocket by a single penny...so, this is a situation where having a credit card as opposed to a debit one has helped me avoid a bit of a financial meltdown!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If you are having trouble getting a credit card then try CapitalOne.
They let me have one and I have had a CCJ before.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Now ive never had a credit card, I just have your bog standard debit hole in the wall and occassional purchase off the internet style card.

I am incurring quite a few expenses with work, trains, flights and other small bits and pieces and its winding me up that it dents my already small balance each month.

Im looking at getting a credit card for a couple of reasons, Im looking to increase my credit rating and also it will be easier that its not hitting my bank and balance.

I was looking at Natwest Platinum due to the fact I bank with natwest...but anyone have any advice or credit card companies that they would give a big thumbs up to?

cheers

Mrs C7's advice is to get an airmiles card, to be able to collect rewards especially if using as mainly to pay for expenses, so if pay balance of each month will also help with your credit record, see if natwest have one if not I would recommend LTSB.:thumbsup:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Mrs C7's advice is to get an airmiles card, to be able to collect rewards especially if using as mainly to pay for expenses, so if pay balance of each month will also help with your credit record, see if natwest have one if not I would recommend LTSB.:thumbsup:

...mine is LTSB Airmiles...I appear to have been credited with the airmiles for all the fraudulent transactions, wonder if they will take them back when the matter is resolved?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here