Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Creation of a new Sussex

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What about Mid-Sussex.? Why can't this be the ' third split ' in county status.
Haywards Heath would be the county town and deservedly so, with its upwardly mobile, affluent and successful heritage. For those in the North of the County feeling left out, create a fourth county split, North Sussex, with Horsham as the county town.
The more the merrier.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
my understanding is that although the city is administered by a unitary authority, it is still part of the county of East Sussex in non-administrative terms!

Yes, I think it's the difference between administrative and ceremonial. Ceremonial doesn't really matter that much any more to the best of my knowledge though.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
my understanding is that although the city is administered by a unitary authority, it is still part of the county of East Sussex in non-administrative terms!

That is correct. Anyone who thinks that just because Brighton is now not a part of East Sussex simply because it is a unitary authority is mistaken.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Hurstpierpoint and towns and villages to the north of it used to be in East Sussex. The boundary crossed the Albourne - Henfield road. Hurstpierpoint was in the old Cuckfield Rural District Council area of East Sussex which became Mid Sussex DC - in the county of West Sussex - in the 70s as part of a local government reorganisation during Ted Heath's time.

Hurstpierpoint at that time was in the old Lewes constituency, which had the exotically-named Tufton Beamish as its MP.

The Royal Mail no longer asks people to put the county name on envelopes so there is no reason why we can't put 'Sussex' if we wish. A nice idea. And amalgamating the administrations of the two counties wouldn't be difficult surely.

The police are already one organisation.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No no no no no We are far to posh and brilliant and things in East Sussex !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not on my watch lad!

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
What would be the benefit? I am West Sussex, and want nothing to do with the loony Brighton council and want them to have absolute no influence on my area at all.

I have to agree with you here. Although technically Brighton "Isn't apart of Sussex" In that sense. I would be one to leave ye olde kindom of Sussex If It had Brighton Council/Authority Rule. I hate the scumbags worse than Crystal Palace and Portsmouth put together. :ffsparr:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In spirit, Sussex has always been a place. If someone asks where I come from I always say Sussex. Apart from being a Lincolnshire YellowBelly I am also a South Saxon, not a South Saxon (West). Perhaps those against amalgamation could write new anthems called Good Old East Sussex By The Sea and Good Old West Sussex By the Sea.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We wouldnt dirty ourselves by crossing the boarder to do it ha ha !!

Exactly my point.
The moment you step outside of Lesser Sussex, you'll have nobody there to tell you how wonderfully avant garde and bohemian you are, while you munch on your mong bean spicy dal.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Exactly my point.
The moment you step outside of Lesser Sussex, you'll have nobody there to tell you how wonderfully avant garde and bohemian you are, while you munch on your mong bean spicy dal.

You thought that out haven't you :D Not busy keeping up with the neigbours in your suburban hell? oooh look the new ford mondeo...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Home rule for Sussex, we've got a city , a port, let's get the border points up. Oh and we've got our own anthem.

Our football league would be like the MTL, Brighton and Crawley followed by a load of minnows. We could even pretend it's one of the top leagues in Europe.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have no objections, would that make us the longest county in the country? It would make things easier - Sussex CCC would be correct, as would many other things, St John Ambulance has been calling itself County Of Sussex incorrectly for years.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
What about Mid-Sussex.? Why can't this be the ' third split ' in county status.
Haywards Heath would be the county town and deservedly so, with its upwardly mobile, affluent and successful heritage. For those in the North of the County feeling left out, create a fourth county split, North Sussex, with Horsham as the county town.
The more the merrier.

Interesting this. I visited a Sussex Council (can't say which one) to interview them just as the recession kicked in. They were talking a lot about the Gatwick Diamond an dhow they would survive the recession because they could rely on jobs from Gatwick. They were really pushing for splitting West Sussex into North and South and leaving East Sussex. They reckoned that the south coast from adur to arun was dragging the north of the county down because of its poverty and getting all the resources.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here